Toilet clogs seem to happen at the most inopportune moments. It’s a Friday night and you are hosting a party. The guest will be there any minute and then your child explains that they just clogged the toilet. During this time you don’t have time to run out to the store and you don’t have a plunger, then there can be nothing worst than that. There are few more things terrifying that an overflowing toilet. It can ruin your floor, ruin your toilet and ruins your day. But here are several ways to unclog a toilet without a plunger.
Ways to Unclog a Toilet without a Plunger
1.) Keep Toilet from Overflowing
The first thing you need to do before applying any method to unclog a toilet without a plunger is to keep the toilet from overflowing. If your toilet doesn’t flush properly after one flush then don’t flush it again. As this will cause more water to be pumped into the toilet bowl. Instead of doing this take the lid off of the toilet tank and close the toilet flapper. If will help to keep more water from entering the bowl.
- The flapper looks like a circular drain stopper attached to a chain.
- The water in the tank will not be dirty so it will be fine to stick your hand inside to close the flapper.
2.) Preparation for the Bathroom
If in case splashing occurs, so place paper towels or newspaper on the floor to soak up liquid. The paper will make it easier to clean up later. You should also turn on the ventilation fan or open a window to reduce foul odors.
If the clog is serious then you need to use your hand, out on rubber gloves. Toilets are unsanitary but a good pair of rubber cleaning gloves will protect you from any germs. Choose the gloves that can reach up to your elbows.
You may also want to put on an old set of clothing, just if in case things get too messy.
3.) Clear the Obstruction
If you can see the cause of the clog then reach in and remove it from the toilet. If you can’t clear if with your hands, but you know that there is an object such as child’s toy which is causing the clog, then try another method.
4.) Baking Soda and Vinegar to Unclog a Toilet without a Plunger
If the toilet tends to clog easily due to trying to flush too much waste, then using a combination of baking soda, vinegar, and hot water will do a good job. You need to boil a half gallon of water because a small amount of water will not work since it will not have enough force to push through the clog. The water should not be hotter than a tea. It should not be very hot water as it can crack the porcelain. You need to raise the temperature of the water passing around or pressing on the clog.
- Then pour one cup of baking soda and 2 cups of vinegar into the toilet. The mixture of vinegar and baking soda will create a chemical process that will help to dissolve the clogs. This is considered as one of the best way to unclog a toilet without a plunger. Distilled white vinegar is often used, but any type of vinegar will work. The mixture will fizz a great deal.
- Pour the hot water from the waistline, rather than right near the rim. The force of water falling into the bowl can help to clear the clog.
- Then let the mixture stain for overnight. In the morning the water will get drained. This homemade drain cleaner will clear the clogs caused by organic material.
5.) Plumbing Snake to Unclog a Toilet
A plumbing snake is a flexible coil of wire that can snake through the curves of a drain and get deeper than a wire can. The best snake considered a closet auger which is specifically designed to clear toilet clogs without damaging or staining the bowl. It is the best way to unclog a toilet without a plunger, it is often used by professionals.
You need to insert on end of the snake into the drain then push down feeding the snake further into the drain until you feel an obstruction. Twist and push the snake towards the obstruction. Your goal is to break up the obstruction into the smaller pieces that can easily move through the pipes. If will take a few seconds to clear the obstruction. Once the water drains flush to a toilet to see whether it drains as quickly as normal.
It may become necessary for you to remove the toilet and run the snake through in the opposite direction. This especially needs to be with the hard obstructions that may have been flush by someone. If the hard obstruction is known and you are not comfortable with removing and replacing the toilet then you can contact a plumber.
6.) Wire Coat Hanger to Unclog a Toilet without a Plunger
You will need to unravel and straighten a wire coat hanger. Then wrap the end of the wire with a rag. Use a duck tape to keep the rag in its place. This will prevent the sharp end of the hanger from damaging the porcelain in your toilet. This method will generally work if there is an obstruction in the first few inches of the drain.
- Then stick the wrapped end of the wire into the drain. Once the wire is in the drain, then push and twist it in a circular motion to clear the drain. If you feel an obstruction then push against it. Keep going until the water start to drain. This is also a good way to unclog a toilet without a plunger.
- Don’t forget to wear the rubber gloves while dong this. You may get splashed as you twist the wire around. Flush the toilet once the water will get drained. The obstruction will now be able to flow through the drain like normal. If the toilet is still slow to drain, the means the obstruction may have gotten pushed further back, out of reach of the hanger. In this case, you will need to use another method.
7.) Enzyme Toilet Cleaner
- Buy a product that contains a mixture of enzymes that can liquify the waste material. These enzymes are used in a septic system to break down the waste. This is old a good way to unclog a toilet without a plunger.
- You can buy this product from the home development stores in or near the plumbing aisle. Enzyme water removal is preferable to using a drain clearing chemical because it will not harm your pipes or the environment.
- But you need to keep in mind that this method will only work on organic waste, not on toys or other objects.
- Follow the instructions written on the container. Pour the recommended amount of the enzyme product into the toilet bowl. You could have wait overnight for the enzymes to go to work on the clog. The toilet should drain once the clog has cleared.
8.) Chemical Drain Cleaner
You can buy a chemical drain cleaner from any grocery store, hardware, and bix box stores. Buy use this method is a last option to unclog a toilet without a plunger. The chemical used in drain cleaners are toxic to people and pets and corrosive to pipes. Chlorinated drain cleaner is very damaging to the environment.
- If you suspect that there is a hard obstruction so don’t use a chemical solution. Use another method.
- Only use chemicals that are specifically made for toilets. Using other drain cleaners may damage your toilet.
- Pour the specified amount of chemical into the toilet. Be sure to follow the manufacturers instructions. Keep the lid down to prevent toxic fumes from filling your bathroom.
- Never try to use a plunger after adding the drain cleaning chemical as it could possibly shoot back up onto your skin.
- Open the exhaust of the bath so you will not inhale the chemicals.
9.) Vacuum to Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger
Use a wet/dry vacuum for this method. Do not use an ordinary vacuum cleaner. It must be the wet dry variety that can cope with water. You will not empty the bowl using the vacuum. The bowl should be free of water and any other debris in order to vacuum out the obstruction.
- Place the end of the vacuum into the drain. Push it into the toilet bowl a few inches into the hole. Use just the flexible hose, rather than using an attachment. Coil an old towel around the hole to create a seal around the drain.
- Then turn on the vacuum, use one hand to put the pressure on the towel to create a good seal. Wait for a minute to vacuum to work. There is a good chance that vacuum can suck out the clog.
10.) Soap and Hot Water
This is a very simple and easy method to unclog a toilet without a plunger. You will need to heat up some water on the stove. it should be boiling hot, it should be as hot as you like in your tea or coffee. Then squirt some soap such as shampoo or detergent in the bowl. Then pour the hot water and let it sit for a few minutes. Try flushing it, and everything should go right down. As hot water breaks up the toilet paper. The soap helps everything to slide down without clumping together again.
You can also have a look at ways to unclog the toilet.