Fleas are definitely a nuisance, as they can cause an itchy sensation and even lead to an infection. Anemia is a clear symptom of fleas in an infested pet. Not only the just pest, if the infestation are heavy or other hosts are not available so they can invade a household and its habitat. It is important to stop the infestation as soon as possible. There are many over the counter and prescription for the flea treatment are available in the market. Using this product can help to fight the infestation. But is also important to keep in mind that such products commonly have side effects, ranging from mild to severe reactions. There are many natural flea control remedies that can be safely used on pets and around the home. Here is the list of best flea treatment for dogs.
Best Flea Treatment for Dogs:
1.) Flea Collar to Get Rid of Fleas
A flea collar is a great way to get rid of fleas without having to reapply topically, and it keeps the flea control constant and steady.
- You need to dilute 2 to 3 drops of cedar or lavender oil with 1 to 3 tablespoons of water.
- Pick out a bandana to be the flea collar.
- With the help of eyedropper apply 5 to 10 drops of the mixture to the bandana and rub the sides of the fabric together and then tie it on your dog’s neck.
- Reapply the mixture to the collar once a week.
2.) Apple cider Vinegar for Flea
Apple cider vinegar is one of the effective and best flea treatment for dogs. It will not kill the flea, they will dislike both the smell and taste of apple cider vinegar, so they will avoid the host and that will smell like apple cider vinegar. One of the main benefits of using apple cider vinegar is, it is nontoxic to dogs.
- You need to mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar with water and pour this solution in the spray bottle. If you want so you can add 2 to 3 drops of cedar or lavender oil to the mixture. spray your pet with this solution. Be careful to avoid spraying it on your pets eye, nose, and ear. Use this remedy daily.
- If you have a flea infestation in your home, so you can generously spray it on your windowsills, baseboards, wooden floors carpets, furniture and other places where you may suspect fleas. Use this solution daily, as needed.
3.) Liquid dish wash Soap to Kill Fleas
You can also use dish wash soap to flea infestation on your pets and around the house. It is particularly good for young puppies and kittens. It is one of the best flea treatment for dogs.
- Give a bath to your pet with this soapy solution of warm water instead of your pets shampoo. Let your pet soak in this bath for about 5 to 10 minutes. the flea will simply fall off when off when you will rinse your pet. Use this treatment few times a week for about 1 to 2 weeks.
- Or you can use another option. fill a large bowl with a few cups of hot water and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of mild dish soap solution. Dip a flea comp of your dog in this solution and use it to comb your pet fur. Repeat this once daily as needed.
- If your house is also infested with a flea. So fill shallow bowls with hot water and put a few drops of liquid dish soap in them to make the water sudsy. Then put the bowl in different rooms of your house and place a table lamp over it. fleas are attracted towards the warmth of the lamp and jump in the water. The soap present in the water breaks the surface tension of the water, so that the fleas cannot get out. repeat this method as needed.
4.) Lemon to Get Rid of Fleas
In this method, you will need to use lemon, as lemon contain something called limonene, which is a chemical that kills and repel the fleas but is harmless to your dogs. It is one the best flea treatment for dogs.
- Bol a pot of water and add one freshly sliced lemon juice in it.
- Turn off the heat after adding the lemon and cover the pot, let the mixture steep overnight.
- Next day dip a comb of your pet in the liquid and run it through their hair.
- You can also use a sponge for this method.
- Repeat this process as needed.
5.) Rosemary for the Treatment of Flea
Fleas are not fond of rosemary so that it is considered as one of the best flea treatment for Dogs.
- You need to add 2 cups of rosemary to a large pan of water
- Boil this water and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid
- Mix this solution into 1 gallon of warm water and let it cool down.
- Saturate your dogs with this water and let them air dry.
- Repeat the process again if necessary.
- You can even grow rosemary in your garden to keep fleas out of your garden and house. Just like rosemary you can use lavender to combat flea infestation.
6.) Indian Lilac to Get Rid of Fleas
Indian lilac also known as neem is a natural ingredient that can help to control the flea infestation. It is one of the best flea treatment for dogs. Its odor helps to repel the unwanted pests. You can use both the lead and oil of the neem.
- Take 4 cups of hot water and put a handful of neem leaves in it. let it sit for overnight. Grind the leaves in the water next morning. Then strain the solution through a filter paper. Pour this solution into a spray bottle and spray it on your dogs. You can also spray it on your bedding and floor. Often use this spray.
- Or you can use another method. mix 12 drops of neem oil in a 1 ounce of the spray bottle. Spray this solution on your dogs or you can also soak your dog’s collar in this solution for several hours. let them dry and put it on your dog.
- Dilute neem oil with almond oil in the ratio of 1:10. Apply the solution on your palms and gently rub it through your dog’s fur.
- You can also add a neem oil in your dog’s shampoo and use it to bathe your dogs.
7.) Cedar Wood Chips to Control Flea
To control fleas infestation you can use cedar woods chips. They are all natural and not harmful to your pet and plants. Cedar wood is best flea treatment for dogs without any side effects.
- Buy cedar wood chips from the market and spread them over the affected area as well as dog bedding.
- You can even place cedar wood chips in a cotton cloth and place it in the dog bed to keep it pest free.
8.) Wash Pets Belonging to Get Rid of Fleas
It is important to keep eye on your pets and their belonging. Always check your pets for fleas before bringing them in your house.
- Use hot water to wash lived in areas and other items used by your pets.
- Wash your pet’s bedding and clothes in the washing machine using hot water and dry them under the sun.
- Wash and clean anything that your pet likes to regularly lie or sleep on.
- It some of your pet items is extremely dirty so, its better to throw them out and purchase a new one.
9.) Flea Spray to Stop Flea Infestation
To make this spray you will need to use essential oil this will give your spray extra edge. If you are using it add 2 to 3 drops of lavender oil or cedar oil and add 1 cups of distilled vinegar with 1 quart of water. Fill your spray bottle with this solution and spray it on your dog. Be careful not get it in their eyes, ears, and nose. You can also spray on your pet’s bedding and around it.
10.) Flea Bag
This little sachet contains think that smell pleasant to use, but it drives pest away from your pet. To make this follow the instruction It is one if the best flea treatment for dogs.
Cut 2 to 6 inch square of fabric and place them together. Sew all but 1 side and turn inside out. fill it with a rough handful of cedar chips and 1 to 2 tablespoons of lavender oil and 1 lemon peel. Leave enough room at the top so you a tie it off with a ribbon or sew it shit. Place it under your pet’s bedding or near it to ward off fleas. Mixture the mixture every month as needed.