Mouth Ulcers are frightening at times, since you cannot eat your favorite spicy food until it recovers and due to unbearable pain. Most of the times the ulcer could be result of the bad eating habits that could be treated easily. However, sometimes it is a symptom of any particular deficiency or disease. In such case, you need to show your doctor. Nevertheless, if the condition is not worse home remedies comes handy to read mouth ulcers. Read more to know remedies to get rid of mouth ulcers.
Causes of Mouth Ulcers:
- Deficiency of vitamin B12.
- Accidently biting in the inner layer of the cheek.
- Defective feeling
- Hormonal changes
- Sometimes stress and anxiety also causes ulcers.
- Viral infection
- Crohn’s diseases
Symptoms of Mouth Ulcers:
- Inflammation in the mouth
- Open lesion white in colour
Mouth Blisters can appear at:
Lips, inside cheeks, tongue and beneath the tongue
How Long Mouth Ulcers Take to Heal?
If the mouth ulcer is not serious then it will heal within 8-10 days. However, if the problem is serious it will take long to heal.
Remedies to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers:
1.) Licorice Root to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
First in our list of remedies to get rid of mouth ulcer is licorice root. Not many of you know about this wonderful remedy. It is an herb which acts as demulcent and prepare and protective coating around the mucus membrane that help to treat the symptoms of the mouth ulcers that irritation and inflammation. In addition to this, heals the open lesions. The antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties present in the licorice works as added bonus.
- Crush licorice roots. In one table spoon of licorice roots powder add two cups of water. Mix it thoroughly and leave it for a couple of hours or overnight.
- After the few hours use this solution to rinse the mouth.
- Repeat this several times a day to get rid of mouth ulcers.
2.) Coconut Milk to Treat Mouth Ulcers
Another home remedy that will help you to cure the mouth ulcers also known as canker sore is coconut milk. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal the irritation and inflammation around. Moreover, it soothes the open lesions that are quite painful. Honey with coconut milk will be nice treatment for mouth ulcers.
- In a bowl mix, altogether a few drops of honey and tablespoon of the coconut milk.
- Use this solution to massage on the affected area.
- Repeat this several times a day to treat canker sores.
Alternatively, use coconut milk alone to rinse your mouth. You can also apply it on the affected area without honey.
3.) Treat Mouth Ulcers with Honey
Honey is one of the potent remedy that retains the natural moisture in the ulcers and promotes the healing process. In addition to this, honey has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that works like an added benefit of honey to treat mouth ulcers. It also has calming properties that too will work in your favor. For added benefits add some glycerin or vitamin E to the honey before applying it to get rid of mouth ulcers.
- Dip a cotton ball into the honey and apply the honey on the affected area. Leave it on.
- Alternatively, you can mix some glycerin or vitamin E oil with honey to treat the mouth ulcers.
- Use manuka honey to treat mouth ulcers, especially the ones which are caused due to the radiation therapy.
4.) Aloe Vera to Treat Canker Sores
Aloe Vera is a wonderful remedy for canker sores and ulcers. It promotes the healing process and reduce the irritation and the pain. Moreover, it works as an antiseptic. In addition to this, it has antiviral, antibacterial and anti fungal properties. It is also aids oral health problems such gingivitis, pyorrhea and other gum diseases.
- Simply extract gel from the leaf of the Aloe Vera.
- Apply this gel on the affected area.
- If you do not find the Aloe Vera plant around, then you can also use Aloe gel available at the drug store.
5.) Celery to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
Leaves of celery are packed with the anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that relieves the pain, inflammation and speed up the healing process. Moreover, it is a good source of the all the variants of vitamin B such as vitamin B1, B2, B6 and vitamin C.
- The best way to get rid of mouth ulcers is chew the stalk of the celery.
- Or you can simply extract some pulp from the celery and apply it on the affected area to treat canker sores.
- It is also good home remedy for bad breath.
6.) Basil Leaves to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
Basil leaves are packed with the essential properties that aids the ulcers. It has properties such as anti-fungal property, antibacterial property and antiviral properties to name a few. It heals the open lesion and speed up the healing process. In addition to this it is a nice remedy for tonsillitis, runny nose, cold and cough as well.
- Rinse a few basil leaves.
- Crush them and apply it directly over the ulcers.
- Alternatively, chew some basil leaves a sip a glass of water over it to cure the canker sore or mouth ulcers.
7.) Ice to Treat Mouth Ulcer
If you do not find any of the above home remedies than simply apply some ice cubes over the ulcers. It will numb the pain. It is one of the immediate remedies thus you should apply it as soon as you experience the symptoms of mouth ulcers. The symptoms of mouth ulcers could be inflammation, irritation, pain, burning and tingling sensation.
- As soon as you find the symptoms of the ulcer apply an ice cube over the ulcer.
- Leave it on until you get a relief.
- This will work for the initial stage however, if the condition gets worse do not follow this remedy.
8.) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Canker Sore
Chamomile tea consist of several properties that promotes relaxation and induce sleep. In addition to this, it has a chemical compound that helps to treat the inflammation. It also has antiseptic properties. All these properties help to relieve the symptoms of canker sore and mouth ulcers.
- In a cup of boiled water, dip a chamomile tea bag. Leave it too steep for some time. You can also add chamomile tea leaf instead.
- After a few minutes’ use chamomile tea to rinse your mouth or you can simply place the tea bag on the affected area.
- Do this 2-3 times a day to get rid of mouth ulcers naturally. This is definitely one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers.
9.) Swish Sage to Cure Canker Sore
Swish sage is often used in the homeopathic medicines to curb many ailments and mouth ulcers is one of them. It helps to clean the mouth and inhibit the growth of the germs and bacteria that leads mouth ulcers and gum diseases like gingivitis and pyorrhea.
- Boil some dried sage leaves for 8-10 minutes so that all the nutrients of the leaves get infused in the water.
- Use this water to rinse your mouth.
- Alternatively use this water for swishing. It will kill all the bacteria around and speed up the healing process.
10.) Sea Salt to Cure Canker Sores
Canker sores also known as ulcers can be treated with sea salt as well. It is packed with some good properties such as antiseptic property, disinfectant property and anti-inflammatory properties which help to cure the mouth ulcers. For added benefits you can add some hydrogen peroxide with sea salt to get rid of mouth ulcers.
- In a glass of Luke warm water mix a tablespoon of sea salt and use it to rinse your mouth.
- Alternatively, in a glass of warm water add a tablespoon of sea salt and 3% of the hydrogen peroxide.
- Use this to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this two times a day until you get rid of mouth ulcers.
- However, do not swallow this solution.
11.) Coriander Seeds to Cure Mouth Ulcers
Coriander seeds have been used since ages to cure the ulcers and canker sore. It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that helps to reduce the inflammation and irritation around. Moreover, it soothes the open lesion. Since it is herbal in nature thus it does not have any side effects.
- In a glass of boiled water, add a teaspoon of coriander seeds. Cover the glass and let it steep for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes use this solution to swish. This will inhibit the growth of the bacteria and treats canker sores as soon as possible.
- Repeat this several times a day to get cure mouth ulcers.
12.) Baking Soda to Cure Canker Sore
This is another wonderful home remedy to get rid of mouth ulcers. Baking soda helps to cure the ulcers especially those who are caused due to the acidic foods and drinks. It helps to neutralize the acid. In addition to this, it helps to cure the irritation and inflammation around. It inhibits the growth of the bacteria and germs.
- In a bowl, add a teaspoon of baking soda and sufficient water to make a nice thin paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and leave it on for a few minutes.
- Rinse it once the paste gets dry. Do not leave it on for long.
- You can also, spread some baking soda on the ulcer directly.
13.) Coconut Oil to Treat Mouth Ulcers
If you don’t find any of the above remedies, then simply get your hands-on coconut oil. Coconut oil has all the essential properties such as anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that helps to treat mouth ulcers and canker sores.
- Dip a cotton ball into the coconut oil and dab it over the affected area.
- For added benefit you can add some bees wax into the coconut oil before applying it.
14.) Clove Oil for Mouth Ulcers Treatment
Clove oil is also one of the best home remedies for oral health problems such bad breath, toothache, gum diseases and mouth ulcers. It has eugenol. That is a natural pain killer. In addition to this, it has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that helps to treat the infection and soothes the inflammation.
- In a glass of warm water, add a few drops of clove oil.
- Use this solution as a mouth rinse or simply use it for swishing.
- In any of the way do not gulp the solution.
15.) Cayenne Pepper to Treat Canker Sores
Cayenne paper is also one of the wonderful home remedies to get rid of mouth ulcers. It has a substance, known capsaicin that inhibits the growth of the germs and bacteria that leads ulcers and canker sore.
- In a bowl add a tablespoon of the cayenne paper and add some water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste directly on the mouth ulcers. This paste can also be used heal the blisters as well.
Things to Remember:
- Avoid spicy food during the mouth ulcer.
- Start following the remedies as soon as you find the possible symptoms of the mouth ulcer or canker sore.
- Take a complete rest
- Drink warm water.
- Follow a fluid diet until you get a relief from ulcers.