Facial redness can be triggered by many factors such as sunburn and allergic reactions to chemicals. One of the most common causes of facial redness if rosacea, it is a condition that affects up to 14 million Americans. The exact cause of redness on the face is not clear but experts believe that it is a combination of genetics and environmental factors. On the other hand, facial flushing can also be brought about by severe acne, perimenopause, lupus, and other skin problems. Facial redness is not only unsightly, it also brings discomfort as it is often accompanied by pain burning or stinging sensation and inflammation. So it’s a good idea to use home remedies that are free of harsh chemicals and will not aggravate the condition. Read this article to know the ways to get rid of redness on face.
Ways to Get Rid of Redness on Face:
1.) Cold Compress to Get Rid of Redness on Face
A cold compress is a very effective remedy for pain and inflammation. It is often used as a first aid procedure for injuries such as bumps in the head or bruised. It also works great for facial flushing as it helps to cool down the skin and tone down swelling. According to the study posted at the Seminars in cutaneous Medicine and Surgery, cold compress is listed among the effective remedy for chronic facial redness due to rosacea. All you need is a towel and ice, it is definitely one of the easiest and most readily available remedies for this condition. Make sure that you don’t apply ice directly on your skin as it can harm than good. First, wrap it with a towel or cloth before using.
- Wrap few ice cubes in a towel
- Gently press the towel on your face for a few minutes.
- Do this several times a day until you get relief.
- If ice cubes are not available, so you can also dip your towel in ice cold water and repeat it.
2.) Aloe Vera Reduce Facial Redness
Polysaccharides are present in the gel of aloe vera plant, are responsible for most of its therapeutic purposes. This makes aloe vera one of the best remedy to get rid of redness on face. It also has anti-inflammatory properties. erythema is a condition marked by redness or rashes on the skin, sometimes caused by the reaction of the sun’s UV radiation. Aloe vera is a potent natural treatment not only for facial flushing but also for many other types of skin diseases.
- First, wash your face with warm water
- Slice an aloe vera leaf and squeeze out the gel.
- Apply a thin layer of gel on your face.
- Let it dry and rinse it off with cool water.
- Use this remedy twice a day for a few months.
3.) Coconut oil to Get Rid of Redness on Face
Coconut oil is a great moisturizer that can keep your skin hydrated. This is beneficial for those suffering from facial redness, as this symptom is often accompanied by skin tightness and dryness. Coconut oil is composed of long chain saturated fatty acids that penetrate easily into the skin barrier to boost hydration and fluidity. Due to it turns solid at room temperature, it is very easy to apply topically. Coconut oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that mean it works for conditions that cause facial redness and swelling such as rosacea and severe acne breakouts.
- First wash your face with a mild cleanser
- Pat dry your skin with a clean towel.
- Apply a thin layer of coconut oil with the help of cotton pad.
- Wait for half an hour before it off.
- Repeat twice a day for one month to get rid of redness on face.
4.) Chamomile to Reduce Facial Redness
Chamomile is very useful for the treatment of inflammation of different parts of the body such as throat, mouth, genital area, respiratory tract and nasal passages. It is also very useful for the treatment of inflammatory skin conditions that can cause facial flushing. Research have found that topical application of chamomile provides anti-inflammatory effects on the dry and irritated skin. Apart from toning down inflammation it also demonstrates the soothing and softening effects on the skin.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a bowl ad put 5 chamomile tea bags in it.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes and remove tea bags.
- Put the tea in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Then dip a clean cloth in the water and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Apply it on your face for 15 minutes.
- Use this remedy four times a day until your condition improves.
5.) Honey to Get Rid of Redness on Face
Fungal skin infection often causes skin redness, itchiness, scaling and burning pain. When honey mixed with olive oil and beeswax, it has been found benefits to people with fungal diseases suffering form these symptoms. It only took four weeks for the mixture of honey to take effect on the skin, reducing the symptoms by 62 to 86 percent. This particular combination of honey also works for other conditions that cause facial flushings such as eczema and psoriasis. Honey also has strong anti-inflammatory, soothing, moisturizing and hydrating effects on the skin, so it is not surprise that honey is one of the best remedies to get rid of redness on face.
- Take one tablespoon of each honey, beeswax, and olive oil and mild moisturizer.
- Then combine all the ingredients
- Apply this mixture on your face and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water and pat dry your skin with clean towel
- Apply some moisturizer on your face.
- Use this two to three times a day for three weeks to boost healing and tone down inflammation.
6.) Green tea to Cure redness on Face Overnight
Apart from helping you to weight loss, green tea can also help to promote skin health. green tea has anti-inflammatory and photoprotective properties due to its main component called epigallocatechin 3 gallate. It does it by inhibiting the activities of pro-inflammatory cells, cytokines, and enzymes. According to the report of American researcher in 2010 green tea can be a viable treatment for actinic telangiectasia, it is a prevalent skin condition that cause dilation of the blood vessels and redness of the skin. Green tea has the ability to reduce facial redness caused by exposure to UV radiation.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a pot.
- Steep 2 bags of green tea for about 20 minutes.
- Remove tea bag and put the tea inside the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Dip a clean cloth in the tea.
- Apply it on your face and reduce inflammation.
- Do this twice a day for two to three months for best results.
- You can also drink one cup of green tea to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
7.) Licorice to Get Rid of Redness on Face
This herb contains anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant agents such as Alico chalcone A and labrid that works by boosting secretion in the mucus and stimulating the adrenal glands. Another key component present in licorice is glycyrrhizin, which is an anti-inflammatory agent and treats various condition including atopic dermatitis.
- Take one tablespoon of licorice powder and one teaspoon of each honey and aloe vera gel.
- Combine all the ingredient in a bowl
- Apply the thin layer of this mixture on your face
- Wait for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then wash it off with the water.
- Pat dry your skin with a towel afterward.
- Use this remedy twice a day for up to eight weeks.
8.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Redness on Face
It has been used since centuries to relieve itch and inflammation due to various skin problems. Oatmeal has been proven to benefit dermatologic conditions that cause skin itchiness, inflammation, and irritation. The fine particles of oats disperse on the skin and form a protective barrier that moisturizes the skin and prevent dehydration by strengthening the epidermal barrier.
- Take half cup of oatmeal and mix it with ¼ cup of water to form a paste
- Apply this paste on red skin
- Leave it on but do not scrub or rub it as it can aggravate the redness.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes
- Wash it off with cool water.
- Use a soft and clean towel to pat it dry.
- Use this remedy two times a day for one week to get rid of redness on face.
9.) Flaxseeds to Reduce Facial Redness
According to the study published in the British Journal of Nutrition in 2009, nutrients such as linoleic acid which can be found in flaxseeds oil can work effectively to improve skin properties. in this clinical trial, two groups of women consumed borage oil or flaxseed oil and a placebo for three months. Those who ingested the oils were observed to reduction in skin reddening and improvement in blood flow and skin hydration. Flax seeds oil can tone down redness, scaling, and roughness of the skin.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of flaxseeds oil three times a day for at least two months.
- Or you can snack on flaxseeds throughout the day to control inflammation due to rosacea.
10.) Turmeric to Treat Redness on Face
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties which are highly effective to get rid of redness on face. Curcumin is the main compound present in turmeric responsible for its all properties.
- Take two teaspoons of turmeric powder and one tablespoon of yogurt.
- Mix them well.
- Spread this thin layer of the mixture on your face and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with cool water.
- Or you can mix turmeric in a glass of warm milk and drink this daily.