If you feel fever and pain in the throat that means you are suffering from strep throat. This article is about how to get rid of strep throat. Strep throat is a very common problem among people especially children. It is also known as streptococcal pharyngitis. Strep throat is a throat infection that affects the tonsils, larynx and pharynx. It occurs due to Group A Streptococcus bacteria. Strep throat is basically a sign of having a cold. You will feel difficulty while swallowing.
Strep throat can be a serious problem and requires treatment. It is highly contagious and it commonly occurs during the winters. The symptoms of strep throat are sore throat, stomach ache, white patches on the throat, pain in the throat, vomiting and fever. You can treat strep throat with the help of antibiotics, some home and natural remedies.
Symptoms of Strep Throat:
- Pain in Throat
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Swollen tonsils
- Bright red throat
Causes of Strep Throat:
- Common cold
- Dry air and pollution
How Long Does a Strep Throat Last?
A strep throat is a bacterial infection that can last more than five days. If you start treating strep throat, then the symptoms of strep throat can go away within 24 hours.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of Strep Throat:
1.) Antibiotics and Pain Killer to Treat Strep Throat
Consult your doctor that will prescribe you antibiotics to treat your strep throat. You can also take over the counter pain medications that help to relieve symptoms of strep throat. It also reduces fever that occurs due to strep throat. The pain-killer includes acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
- Don’t give these pain killers to children due to the risk of Reye syndrome.
- Use antibiotics such as penicillin and amoxicillin that helps to kill the bacteria.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful home remedy for treating strep throat. The various healing properties and anti-bacterial properties in apple cider vinegar help to get rid of bacteria and strengthen the immune system. These properties also fight against the infection.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Strep Throat:
- Heat a cup of water by mixing 1 to 3 tsp of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Use this ACV solution to gargle many times a day for 2 to 3 days.
- You can also mix 1 tbsp of honey and apple cider vinegar in a small glass of hot water.
- Drink it 2 times a day for some days until you get relief from strep throat.
3.) Salt Water to Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast
Gargling with salt water is the oldest and effective home remedy for strep throat. Salt water helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation of mucous membranes. The warm salty water gives soothing effect to your throat that will kill the bacteria.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Treat Strep Throat Fast:
- Prepare the salty water by mixing 1 tsp of salt to 1 cup of warm water.
- Gargle with this salty water for a few minutes and then spit it out.
- Repeat it at regular intervals for 1 or 2 days.
4.) Lemon and Honey to Cure Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
Lemon contains vitamin C that helps to control the growth of bacteria which causes strep throat. Honey is also a natural healing agent that keeps your throat well moisturized and relieves inflammation and soreness.
Steps to Use Lemon and Honey to Prevent Strep Throat:
- Make a solution by mixing 1 tbsp of honey and lemon juice in a cup of lukewarm water.
- Sip this honey and lemon mixture slowly.
- Drink it as needed for many days to treat strep throat fast.
5.) Sage to Cure Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
The antibacterial properties in sage help to control the growth of bacteria that causes strep throat. It also relieves pain in the throat as well as inflammation and irritation.
Steps to Use Sage to Get Rid of Strep Throat:
- Heat a cup of water and add 1 tsp of dried sage to it. Allow it to steep for ten minutes. Strain the leaves and drink this tea. Drink 2 cups of sage tea until your strep throat recover completely.
- An alternate method, prepare a solution by mixing 1 tsp of salt and lemon juice in a cup of hot sage tea. Use this sage solution to gargle 3 or 4 times for 2 days.
6.) Cayenne to Get Rid of Strep Throat Naturally and Fast
Cayenne is an effective natural remedy for treating strep throat. Due to having anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties in cayenne it helps to reduce inflammation and control the growth of bacteria in the throat. There is a capsaicin compound in cayenne that helps to treat all kinds of infections and remove the toxins out of the body.
Steps to Use Cayenne to Prevent Strep Throat:
- Prepare a solution by mixing one-fourth tsp of cayenne powder, 1 tbsp of honey and 3 grated garlic cloves. Consume one and half tsp of this mixture in every one hour many times a day. Don’t drink water immediately after taking this solution.
- An alternate method, make a solution by mixing one-fourth tsp of cayenne pepper and 1 tbsp of lemon juice to a glass of warm water. Gargle with this cayenne solution many times a day. Follow this method for 1 to 2 days to notice the improvement.
7.) Sunflower Oil to Get Rid of Strep Throat Naturally and Fast
Sunflower oil helps to treat the symptoms of strep throat and gives soothing effect to your throat.
Steps to Use Sunflower Oil to Treat Strep Throat Fast:
- Drink 1 tsp of sunflower oil slowly so that the healing properties of sunflower oil to heal the soreness in the throat.
- Repeat it 2 times daily until the hoarseness of your voice is treated. Do not drink water immediately after taking this oil.
8.) Onion to Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
Onion is one of the best home remedies that help to treat the strep throat. Onion is an anti-bacterial and anti-septic agent that kills the bacteria and also speeds up the recovery process.
Steps to Use Onion to Heal Strep Throat Naturally:
- Cut an onion into thick slices. Now, start chewing these slices and swallow it slowly so that the onion juice exerts its action on the bacteria. Repeat it throughout the day until you get the relief from strep throat.
- An alternate method, take a glass of warm water and add 3 to 4 tbsp of onion juice to it. Gargle with this onion solution several times in a day. Repeat it for some days to get rid of strep throat.
9.) Garlic to Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
Garlic has various healing properties such as anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Due to having these properties in garlic it helps to treat many infections, including strep throat. Garlic also contains sulphur content that boosts your immune system and helps the body fight against the infection. Garlic contains vitamins B6, C, manganese and Selenium that promotes your general health.
Steps to Use Garlic to Cure Strep Throat Naturally:
- Suck a piece of fresh garlic clove like a candy. You can also crush the garlic to release the juice that will help to heal the strep throat fast. Do this method many times a day for some days.
- An alternate method, prepare a solution by adding 1 tsp of grated garlic, one-fourth tsp of cinnamon and a little cayenne pepper in a cup of boiling water. Now, again boil it for 2 minutes and then strain the solution. Drink this warm solution 2 times a day until you get relief from strep throat.
10.) Cinnamon to Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
Cinnamon is one of the best home remedies in treating strep throat. The powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties that provide relief from strep throat and improve the immune system for speed up the recovery.
Steps to Use Cinnamon to Treat Strep Throat Naturally and Fast:
- Prepare a solution by adding one-half tsp of cinnamon powder to a cup of boiling water.
- Let the solution sit for ten minutes and add a little honey to it.
- Drink this solution 3 to 4 times daily until you notice the improvement.
Additional Useful Tips to Get Rid of Strep Throat:
- Get rest to give your body the strength and fight against the infection.
- Drink lots of water and other drinks to prevent dehydration.
- Eat soothing foods such as cooked cereal, broths, mashed potatoes, yogurt, soft fruits and soups.
- You can also eat hard candies to treat strep throat.
- Avoid drinking and smoking.