In this article, we will discuss the reason that how do you get rid of bed bugs. Bed bugs are tiny, wingless creatures which thrive on the blood of animals and humans. They usually come out during night to bite you while you are asleep. Their bite leaves a red, itchy bumps. Though they can’t fly, but they are pretty good at moving over walls, floors and ceilings. A bed bug infestation has nothing to do with your personal cleanliness as they are not fond of dirt. Once they find a way to enter your home, they can spread easily everywhere in your home.
There are no quick ways to get rid of bed bug infestation. It can take a week to several months to control this problem. You may even have to hire a professional to eliminate bed bugs. Below are some of the home remedies to get rid of bed bugs.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Bed Bugs:
1.) Look for the Hideouts
It is necessary to find the hideouts of these creatures for their execution. When you are looking for bed bugs, look for the following signs:
- Dead and live bugs
- Tiny spots of red-black fecal.
- Stains caused by the crushed bugs.
- Small cream-colored eggs.
Some of the common places where you may find the signs of infestation are:
- Under loose wallpaper
- Cushion seams
- Between cushions
- In the folds of curtains.
- Carpet edges
- Places where the wall and ceiling meet.
- Electrical receptacles,
- Cracks in wood molding
- Other dark places
You will mostly find these bugs where you sleep as you are their source of food. And, remember that they prefer wood or fabric more than plastic and metal.
After finding such hideouts, clean and disinfect the area. Also, seal the cracks or holes around baseboards and molding where the bed bugs used to hide.
2.) Vaccum to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
After inspecting the infested, vacuum your house to get rid of bugs and their eggs. When you empty the vacuum, remember to put the trash in a sealed bag.
- Vacuum the carpet, floor and your complete house, especially the places which are infested.
- Vacuum your entire mattress, box spring, bed seams, bed frame and joints.
- Vacuum items made of wood and fabric as they are bed bugs’ favorite hideouts.
- Remember to cover all the cracks and holes before vacuuming. This is because they can run there to hide.
- Make a routine to vacuum your house once a week.
3.) Laundering to Prevent Bed Bugs Infestation
One of the simplest and most effective ways to get rid of bed bugs is washing your infested clothes and bedding in hot water. Bed bugs are not able to bare hot temperatures. It can help kill these blood sucking insects easily.
- Wash all your bed sheets, clothes and other bedding at the hottest temperature possible for half an hour or above.
- You can wash the complete load twice in order to eliminate any chances of survival.
- Afterwards, dry them on a high heat for 20 minutes minimum.
- You can use a hot dryer for items which can only be dry cleaned. Use it for at least 30 minutes.
4.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Naturally
You can sprinkle some boric acid on the areas where there is a bed bug infestation to kill the bed bugs. However, after treatment, make sure that the boric acid powder is completely cleaned from the areas where used. It is not advised to sprinkle boric acid on the bed and upholstery as it will be difficult to clean them thoroughly after the treatment.
5.) Black Walnut to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Naturally and Fast
Black walnut is another very effective repellant and insecticide to avoid bed bug infestation. Dried walnuts can be used for sprinkling in places which are infested with the bugs.
- Use black walnut is places such as interior areas, closet areas, and creases of beds etc.
- This will eliminate and help bring out the bed bugs from their hiding habitats.
- Once they are out, it will become easy to remove them.
6.) Avoid Clutter to Prevent Bed Bugs Infestation
Cluttered areas are the most preferred place for bed bugs to hide in. Reducing clutter becomes necessary when fighting bed bugs. Removing clutters also help inspection and treatment easy. But remember that you don’t spread the bugs by shifting clutter to other rooms.
- Get rid of infested items which cannot be washed, heated or steam cleaned.
- Get rid of all the newspapers, magazines.
- Get rid of clothing that you no longer use.
- Replace your infested mattress if it has tears or holes.
7.) Alcohol to Prevent Bed Bugs
Another effective way to get rid of bed bug infestation is to use alcohol. Alcohol has a dehydrating effect on the eggs of the bugs and kills them.
- Sprinkle some alcohol on the bugs to kill them instantly. However, the effect of sprinkling alcohol will remain only for a shorter time.
- A solution of 70-90% isopropyl is preferred to kill bed bugs.
- Pour alcohol in a spray bottle to use it on the bed bugs and eggs.
8.) Steaming to Prevent Bed Bugs Infestation
Steaming is another effective method to eliminate bed bugs of all stages. Steam cleaners releases steam with a temperature of more than 100 degrees Celsius and as bed bugs usually die at 50 degrees Celsius, it is an effective way to remove bed bugs.
- Steam clean your infested upholstery, mattresses, and items which cannot be washed.
- You can chose a dry steam or a low vapor steamer which leaves behind less moisture.
9.) Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Bed Bugs Fast
Diatomaceous earth is also an excellent home remedy to get rid of bed bugs. It is very effective in defending your home against re-infestation. It is a non-toxic, chalky substance which helps eliminate these irritating pests easily. The powder consists of fossilized remains of hard-shelled algae known as diatoms. It has tiny particles which dehydrate and eliminate the bugs.
- Spread a sufficient amount of diatomaceous earth around your home.
- Spread in the areas where carpeting meets the walls, where the walls meet the floors, on baseboards, behind light switch plates, behind picture frames, and in all the cracks and holes
10.) Seek Professionals, if Required
Hiring a responsible, skilled pest control professional can be very helpful in getting rid of bed bugs. When hiring an expert, make sure the company has a good reputation. Ask them to follow an IPM approach while treating infestation. You can search over the internet to know about good pest control agencies.