In this article, we will suggest you some of the effective home remedies to get rid of Migraine. A migraine is a headache characterized by a severe pain, generally confined to one side of the head, which tends to get worse with movement. It usually lasts from 4 to 72 hours. According to the world health organization, migraine is among the 20 most disabling medical conditions all over the world. Around 75 percent of those who suffer migraine have a family record of this unbearable problem. Although there is no permanent cure known for migraines, but you can try some natural home remedies to get rid of migraine headaches. These remedies are easy, simple, and effective to lower their frequency. Before that, let us know about symptoms and causes of migraine.
Symptoms of Migraine:
Symptoms of migraine may vary from person to person. People usually experience sensory warning signs. Such signs are listed below.
- Flashes of light
- Tingling sensation in the arms and legs.
- Increased sensitivity to sound and light.
- Blind spots
Some other symptoms can also be associated with migraine, but they often occur a couple of days before a migraine attack. These are:
- Food cravings
- Frequent yawning
Causes of Migraine:
The complex condition of migraine is considered to be triggered by changes in brain chemicals. Some other migraine triggers are mentioned below.
- Loud Noises
- Poor posture
- Bright lights
- Skipping meals
- Irregular sleep
- Strong smells
- Low blood sugar
- Hormonal fluctuations
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Migraine:
1.) Ice Pack to Get Relief from Migraine Fast
Using an ice pack as a home remedy for migraine is perhaps the easiest and most popular method. The ice pack application helps to get rid of tension as well as migraine headaches fast. It gives a numbing effect which lowers the pain.
- Take a few ice cubes and wrap them in a clean towel.
- Place the ice wrap on your forehead, temples and/or the back of your neck.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes. Repeat as needed.
- Another method is to try alternating cold and hot compresses for around 15 minutes, as needed.
- To make it more effective, add peppermint and/or lavender essential oils to the water for the compress.
2.) Ginger to Get Rid of Migraine Pain Naturally
Ginger is also one of the best home remedies for migraine. Ginger helps prevent a chemical – prostaglandins, which is responsible for migraine. Prostaglandins impact hormones, causes muscle contractions, and regulate inflammation in blood vessels in the brain. All these factors are responsible for causing migraine headache.
- Take a ginger root and wash it thoroughly.
- Cut it into thin slices.
- Add these slices in 1½ cup of boiling water.
- Simmer it for 10 minutes. Strain and drink it.
- Drink this tea several times throughout the day until you get relief from migraine.
- Remember to drink it at the onset of your headache.
- Alternatively, you can chew a piece of raw ginger root to treat the problem and relieve symptoms such as digestive distress and nausea.
3.) Massage to Get Relief from Migraine
Massaging the head is another fine method to treat the problem. Massaging helps ease migraine headaches by blocking pain signals sent to the brain. Massaging also promotes serotonin activity and encourages certain serotonin receptors. Therefore, minimizing the symptoms as well as frequency of migraine attack.
- Massage your head gently in a circular motion with your first two fingers.
- While massaging, remember that there are some pressure points at locations such as, middle of the forehead (between the eyebrows), the base of the skull and the corners of the eyes.
- When these points are pressed correctly, they help relieve pain naturally.
- Optionally, heat 2 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Mix in 1 ½ tsp each of cardamom and cinnamon powder.
- Massage with the mixture on your forehead.
- Allow it to sit for a few hours before washing it off.
4.) Coffee to Get Rid of Migraine
One cup of coffee can help lower the migraine headache symptoms fast. Coffee contains a compound called caffeine, which restricts blood vessels and blocks certain receptors that are responsible for causing the migraine.
- Drink a cup of strong coffee at the onset of your headache.
- To increase its effectiveness, you can include several drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice. It will help neutralize the effects of acidic diets which contribute to headaches.
Note: Caffeine may cause migraines in some people. Plus, consuming caffeine in excess may worsen your headache or cause a rebound migraine headache.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Migraine at Home
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is a nutritional powerhouse. It helps reduce migraine effectively. Apple cider vinegar also provides health benefits such as controlling blood sugar, aiding detoxification, reducing bone pain, regulating high blood pressure, relieving constipation and promoting weight loss.
- Add 1 tbsp of organic ACV to a glass of water.
- Now add 1 tbsp of honey to it. Stir it well.
- Drink this every day to treat as well as to prevent migraine.
- Initially, you can start by taking 1 tsp of ACV and then slowly increase the amount.
- When you feel migraine attack are coming on, you can take 2-3 tbsp of ACV.
6.) Feverfew to Get Rid of Migraine Headache
Feverfew is another one of the most effective home remedies for migraines. Feverfew has been used for centuries to prevent migraine attacks. This herb has a compound known as parthenolide which relieves spasms in smooth muscle tissue and checks inflammation. It also helps counteract prostaglandins that influence pain signals, thus minimizing pain.
- Steep 1 tsp each of peppermint (dried) and feverfew leaves in a cup of hot water for about half an hour.
- Strain and drink this herbal tea several times throughout the day.
- Continue this remedy until the pain subsides.
- Alternatively, you can also chew 2-3 fresh feverfew leaves regularly.
- Otherwise, you can even take dried leaf capsules daily.
- It is better to consult your doctor before taking such supplement.
7.) Peppermint to Get Relief from Migraine Headaches
Peppermint has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. It helps soothe the nerves causing pain. Plus, peppermint has a calming and antispasmodic effect. The smell of this herb encourages the feeling associated with headache relief.
- Drink a peppermint tea regularly to prevent migraine attack.
- You can sweeten it with honey.
- Otherwise, you can massage each of your temples with a drop of peppermint essential oil or a mixture of lavender and peppermint oils.
- Leave it on for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Do this several times a day until you get relief.
8.) Apples as a Natural Remedy to Get Rid of Migraine
Having an apple as soon as you feel the warning signs of a migraine attack can help lower the problem. Plus, according to some studies, the smell of a green apple can also help lower the severity of migraine and shorten migraine frequency. It is more effective for those who find the smell pleasing. So, eat an apple a day to keep migraine at bay.
9.) Cayenne Pepper as a Natural Remedy for Migraine Treatment
Cayenne pepper is an excellent home remedy for migraine treatment. This is because it stimulates the circulation and enhances the blood flow. Also, cayenne contains a compound capsaicin, that acts as a natural painkiller.
- Take 1 ½ to 1 tsp of cayenne pepper and mix it in a cup of warm water.
- Alternatively, you can add some honey and lemon juice to enhance the taste as well as health benefits.
- Drink this as required.
10.) Chamomile for Migraine Headache Treatment
Chamomile is known to have antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, and soothing properties which help relieve migraine symptoms fast and naturally. Drinking chamomile tea regularly can also help prevent the problem.
- Take 2-3 tsp of dried chamomile flowers and mix them in a cup of hot water for a few minutes.
- You can also add some honey and lemon juice to it.
- Strain the mixture and drink it 3-4 times a day to get relief from migraine symptoms.
- Optionally, you can prepare an herbal tea by steeping same amount of chamomile, meadowsweet and horehound in a cup of hot water.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes.
- Strain and drink it regularly.
Tips to Remember