Triglyceride is a type of fat found in the blood. The body converts calories that it doesn’t need to use right away into triglycerides. They are stored in the fat cells, which are circulated in the blood to provide energy for muscles to work. Triglycerides are different from cholesterol which the body needs for hormones synthesis s and cellular structure. A specific amount of triglycerides is necessary for the proper functioning of cells but too much amount of triglycerides is unhealthy. Read more to know best ways to lower triglycerides fast.
An increase in triglycerides can be due to a sedentary lifestyle, obesity, poorly controlled diabetes, kidney disease, hypothyroidism, excessive drinking, high-calorie diet, and many other things. High triglyceride usually does not cause symptoms. It can pose a risk for heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure and cholesterol problems.
- Normal level of triglyceride- less than 150mg/dL
- Borderline high level triglyceride- 150 to 199 mg/dL
- High-level triglyceride – 200 to 499 mg/dL
- Very high triglyceride level- 500 mg/dL and above
If you have triglyceride, so you can lower triglycerides level with lifestyle changes, a proper diet, and some simple home remedies
Ways to lower Triglycerides:
1.) Cut Sweets from your Diet
Added and refined sugar can cause an elevation in your triglycerides level, so one of the fastest way to lower triglycerides is to cut down on your sugar intake. This is because sugars are often unneeded calories that are converted to triglycerides for the storage in the body.
- Limit your sugar intake to less than 5 to 10 percent of your calories. For women, you can take up to 100 calories per day. for men, this means that sugar can take up to 150 calories per day.
- Don’t consume sweet desserts and concentrated fruit juices.
2.) Reduce refined Carbs to Lower Triglycerides
White rice and baked goods are made with white flour or semolina and can cause elevated triglycerides in some individual. If you find out that it might be an issue for you, so you can reduce your refined carbohydrate and can have a quick impact on your triglycerides.
- Go for the bread and pasta that are made from whole grains, instead of eating refined carbs.
- Reduce your overall intake of carbs and add more protein in your diet instead because protein has a lower glycemic index than carbohydrate, that means they are absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream. This in turn helpful to lower your blood sugar and to lower blood lipid levels. Healthy fats are also a great dietary in you will add them as this help to stabilize blood sugar and in turn can help to lower triglycerides.
3.) Omega 3 Fatty Acids to Reduce High Triglycerides
Omega 3 fatty acids are considered as good fats and the regular consumption of omega 3 can help your body to develop lower levels of triglycerides.
- Eat about two serving of fatty fish per week. If you will do it so will see a change in your triglyceride level.
- Include fatty fish rich in omega 3 such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, trout, and tuna.
- Other sources of omega 3 such as flaxseed oil, ground flaxseed, legumes, soy, leafy green vegetables, walnuts. Mix these additional sources into your diet on a daily basis.
- You can even add good quality omega 3 supplements.
4.) Get Plenty of Fiber Lower Triglyceride Level
Fiber helps to regulate the food you eat is absorbed and passed through your body. High fiber foods can lower both your triglycerides and LDL cholesterol. Both insoluble and soluble fiber helps to lower triglycerides. Soluble fiber binds the excess amount of triglycerides like a gel so that it can get out of the body easily.
- It reduces and slows down the absorption of sugars and fats. Insoluble fiber helps to control hunger pangs and increase the absorption of nutrients from your food which helps in weight loss.
- Eat foods high in soluble fiber such as bananas, oatmeal, strawberries, and peas.
- Eat foods like in insoluble fiber like whole grains, beans, whole wheat products, green and many vegetables.
- If you are just beginning to eat fiber rich foods, so increase it gradually to avoid the discomfort of gas. At the same time, you need to increase your water intake to help process the fiber and avoid constipation.
5.) Physical Activity to Lower Triglycerides
Physical activity plays an important role in reducing your triglyceride level, depending on your level and individual risk factors. If you will be active, it will help to decrease your triglycerides. It also helps to lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
- According to the study published in the Journal of Applied Physicology states that acute high-intensity endurance exercise is more effective than moderate intensity exercise reducing triglyceride level. Include high-intensity endurance exercise in your daily routine to reduce high triglyceride.
6.) Reishi Mushroom to Reduce Triglyceride Level
Reishi mushroom is beneficial for the cardiovascular system due to its high content of heart-saving substances like ganoderic acids, sterols, mannitol, coumarin, and polysaccharides.
- The ganoderic acids in reishi mushroom help to lower triglyceride levels and remove excess cholesterol from the blood, reduce platelet stickiness, lower blood pressure and even help to correct arrhythmias.
- To lower triglycerides, you can even take reishi mushroom extract. The appropriate dose of it depends on the factors like current health conditions and age so first consult your doctor.
7.) Garlic to Lower High Triglycerides
Garlic is one of the best remedies to lower triglycerides. According to the study published in the journal of nutrition in 2006 found that including garlic in your diet can help to lower triglycerides, blood glucose, and cholesterol levels.
- Raw garlic has more effect than the boiled garlic in controlling this parameter because fresh garlic has lipid lowering activity.
- Eat about 2 to 3 garlic cloves on an empty stomach daily for a few months. You can also include garlic in your salad dressing.
- Or you can take a garlic supplement, but first, consult your doctor before taking this.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Reduce Triglycerides
Apple cider vinegar can help to lower triglycerides as well as cholesterol level. According to the study published in the Pakistan journal of biological science in 2008 found that apple cider vinegar can help to improve serum lipid profile in normal and diabetic rats by decreasing triglycerides, low-density lipoprotein and raising HDL levels.
- You need to mix one teaspoon of unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Mix a little raw honey in this solution.
- Drink this solution two times a day for at least a couple of months
- You can also mix apple cider vinegar with orange, grape, apple or other fruit juices.
9.) Coriander Seeds to Lower Triglycerides
Coriander seed is a traditional treatment for high triglycerides. According to a study published in the Journal of Environmental Biology in 2008, there was a decrease in triglyceride and cholesterol level in animals fed coriander seed. This is due to a significant hypolipidemic action of coriander seeds on the metabolism of lipids.
- Add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of coriander seed in a cup of water.
- Boil the water, strain the solution and allow it to cool.
- Drink this solution twice a day for a few months.
10.) Cayenne Pepper to Reduce Triglycerides
Cayenne pepper is known for adding spicy flavoring to your foods and helps to lower triglycerides. It contains a compound called capsaicin which helps to lower triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in an obese individual.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a cup of hot water. Drink this solution twice a day for a few weeks.
- Or you can use another option. You can take cayenne pepper supplement. First, consult your doctor before taking this.
11.) Cinnamon to Maintain Triglyceride level
Cinnamon can help to lower your triglycerides. According to the study published in the Journal diabetes care in 2003, cinnamon can improve glucose and lipids in people with type 2 diabetes. Intake of about 1 to 6 grams of cinnamon daily helped people with type 2 diabetes to lower their triglycerides and LDL cholesterol.
- Take a ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon to your morning oatmeal. You can sprinkle cinnamon in your smoothies, salads, and soups.
- Cinnamon is also available in a capsule. But first, consult your doctor before taking this.
12.) Red Yeast Rice Reduce Triglyceride Naturally
Red yeast rice is a popular remedy for the treatment to lower triglycerides. It contains a group of naturally occurring statins and modulating effect on lipids and C- reactive protein concentrations. This, in turn, helps to lower triglycerides and high cholesterol level.
- Use red yeast rice as it is directed on the package
- Don’t consume red yeast rice during pregnancy, or when you are suffering from liver or kidney problems.