Mouth ulcer is quite common and irritating and can pop up anytime. Usually during the periods of stress and illness. These painful, open sores are white in color and surrounded by an inflamed red border. They appear mostly on the inside of the cheeks, under the tongue, lips and on the floor of the mouth. They can be caused by a number of factors like food triggers, heredity factors, constipation, hormonal changes, accidental cheek bites, excess acidity and deficiencies of vitamin B complex, vitamin C, iron or other nutrients. Mouth ulcer is usually not serious and heal within one week. Major and herpetiform ulcers take longer to heal. Major ulcers are usually deeper and more than 10 mm in diameter. Herpetiform ulcers appear as a cluster of a large number of small ulcers. Here are some home remedies for mouth ulcers.
Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers:
1.) Saline Rinse to Treat Mouth Ulcers
Rinsing your mouth with a saline solution can help to disinfect your mouth ulcer, it helps to keep it clean from the bacteria that naturally occurs in your mouth and prevent aggravation.
- Mix one or two teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. The exact ratio is not important as long as you are not using so much salt that you can’t keep the water in your mouth. If you can handle the taste of salt so you can use a pinch of baking soda instead.
- Hold the saline solution in your mouth and swish from side to side.
- Don’t swallow the solution, spit it into the sink. Other you will find yourself dehydrated.
- Repeat this process few times a day. it will be good if you do it again after meals and before you go to bed.
- Or you can apply some honey on the ulcer. It may feel painfully a bit when you apply it. but it is quite effective.
2.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Cure Mouth Ulcers
Like the saline solution, hydrogen peroxide can disinfect the ulcer. It is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers
- You need to mix 3% of hydrogen peroxide with an equal volume of water. You don’t need much for this treatment. It quarter cup of each will be enough.
- Dip a cotton swab in the solution and dab it over the sore. Once you have done the initial clean up so dip a fresh swab and hold it to the sore for a few seconds.
- Be careful not to swallow the solution as hydrogen peroxide is not meant to be swallowed. Make sure you are using enough solution to wet the cotton swab.
- Repeat the process once or twice a day. try to do this morning and night.
3.) Licorice root to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
Licorice root is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. This herb works as a demulcent and forms a protective coating on the mucous membrane that resists irritation and soothes open lesions. Licorice root also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Soak one tablespoon of crushed licorice root in two cups of water for about two to three hours.
- Use it as a mouthwash. Rinse your mouth several times a day.
- You can also take de glycyrrhizinate licorice extract which is available as chewable tablets or gargles with this solution after dissolving it in warm water.
4.) Baking Soda to Treat Mouth Ulcers
Baking soda is also called sodium bicarbonate which helps to treat mouth ulcers. It is especially helpful for those caused by acidic foods or drinks as baking soda which helps to neutralize the acid. It also helps to reduce inflammation and remove germs and bacteria. Be aware that it may cause a burning sensation. Baking soda is considered as one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- You need to mix one teaspoon of baking soda with an enough water to make a thin paste. Dab it on the affected area. Repeat this several times a day.
- Or you can just simply put baking soda directly on your mouth ulcer.
5.) Clove oil to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
Clove oil contains eugenol which is a content painkiller and has been used by dentist throughout decades to give relief to patients. Egugel is still used today in a pure extracted form, but clove oil remains useful for oral pain ranging from toothaches to canker sores. Clove oil is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- Swish your mouth with warm water or salt area to clean your mouth, aloe the clove oil to really sink in and do its job. Then mix a half teaspoon of clove oil with four to five drops of olive oil. Then soak a cotton ball in this mixture. apply the cotton ball directly to the sore for about 5 to 10 minutes to give relief.
6.) Honey to Treat Mouth Ulcers
Honey is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. honey can soothe ulcer as it helps retia moisture and accelerates the healing process.
- First swiss your mouth. Simply dip a cotton swab in honey and dab it on the affected area. You can also use vitamin E oil or glycerin in the same way. For mouth sores caused by radiation therapy, use manuka, honey.
- Or you can directly apply a thick dab of organic raw honey directly to the sore. Reapply 2 to 3 times a day.
7.) Yogurt to Cure mouth Ulcers
Yogurt is made from the fermented milk. It is produced by bacterial fermentation, using bacteria or yeast to convert carbohydrates into organic acids. The result is a tangy bacteria-rich substance that is enjoyed worldwide. You has heard of it restoring a healthy balance to gut flora, but eaten daily yogurt may one of the home remedies for mouth ulcers. It is a simple healthy remedy that can help because it balances out bacteria in your mouth which was out of balance and may contribute to or cause a canker sore.
- Make sure to buy a yogurt label confirms that it contains live cultures and make sure you get plain, not vanilla. Eat at the very minimum one tablespoon 3 times a day. eat around a cup and add a little bit of honey for taste and for extra healing boost.
8.) Coriander Seeds to Treat Mouth Ulcers
It is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. It helps to give relief and reduce inflammation.
- Boil one teaspoon of coriander seeds in a cup of water. Then strain it and let it cool.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash.
- Swish it around in your mouth.
- Use this remedy three to four times a day.
9.) Celery to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
Simply chewing a fresh celery stalk is very effective in providing relief from mouth ulcers due to its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Celery is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- Celery contains vitamin B1, B2, B6, C and folic acid. if you want to get the best result after chewing the celery stalk, keep the pulp on the affected area for about 10 minutes. It helps to heal your mouth ulcers, it will also keep bad breath at bay.
10.) Basil Leaves to Treat Mouth Ulcers
Basil leaves is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. It speeds up the healing process for mouth ulcers. It also has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Wash four to five basil leave thoroughly.
- Then chew them and sip a little water afterward.
- Use this remedy twice a day, in the morning and evening.
- It also helps to cure bad breath.
11.)Use Baking Powder and Lemon
You need to mix ¼ teaspoon of baking powder with a lemon, then squeeze the juice out of lemon and mix it with baking soda. It is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers
- Then add one tablespoon of cold water and half a teaspoon of honey.
- Finally properly blend all the mixture.
- Apply it to your ulcer. Use this remedy two times a day. once in the morning and once when you are going to sleep. After a week you will see the ulcer has cleared.
12.) Reduce Acidity
Some canker sore can be caused by excess acid in your mouth.
- Avoid acidic food and drinks. Steer clear of carbonated drinks, spicy foods, citrus foods and hard foods like toasted bread.
- You will need to chew antacid tablets. Take a tablet a few times a day, especially before eating.
- You need to dab milk of magnesia on the sore. Do this once or twice a day, take a cotton swab and put some milk of magnesia in it and gently dab it over overactive sores.