In medical term nausea is considered as an urge to vomit. It can be acute, short lived or it can be chronic. Therefore, as soon as you experience the symptoms of the nausea consult your doctor or follow the below listed home remedies for nausea. During pregnancy nausea is quite common. It is often accompanied with morning sickness and other health issues. However, it is also common among people who are prone to infections and suffer through influenza or gastroenteritis. It is best to consult your doctor. Nevertheless, the home remedies will give best results and are safe as well.
Causes of Nausea:
- Motion sickness
- It is quite common during pregnancy
- Heart attack
- Brain tumour
- Anorexia or bulimia
Symptoms of Nausea:
- Pain in abdomen
Best Home Remedies for Nausea:
1.) Ginger to Cure Nausea
One of the kitchen staple, ginger is a wonderful home remedy for nausea and other health problem accompanied with it. The pungent phenol compounds and volatile oil present in the ginger makes it effective remedy for vomiting, morning sickness and nausea. The other benefit of ginger is that it can be used to treat the nausea accompanied during pregnancy and due to the nausea caused due to chemotherapy as well.
- Boil a cup of water, on the other hand grate a piece of the ginger. Put the grated ginger in the boiling water.
- Cover the cup and let it steep for couple of minutes then strain it and sip it.
- To add some taste and for added benefit you can add some lemon juice and honey in the water before drinking it.
- Alternatively, make a concoction of honey, mint juice, ginger juice and lemon juice. Drink this mixture 2-3 times a day or whenever you feel like.
- Or, you can simply nimble a ginger candy to reduce the symptoms of nausea.
2.) Peppermint as a Remedy for Nausea
Peppermint is one of the best home remedies for nausea because it antispasmodic and soothing properties that immediately helps to cure the nausea. In addition to this it gives a calming effect. Moreover it can be used to treat the cramps caused due to the nausea as well. According to a recent research peppermint also provides relief to post-operative nausea.
- Boil a cup of water, dip a peppermint tea bag into it. Cover the cup and let it steep for a few seconds. Later remove the tea bag and sip the tea.
- Alternatively, you can use dried peppermint leaves instead of peppermint tea bag.
- Or, spray a few drops of the peppermint essential oil on the towel and inhale it.
3.) Lemon to Cure Nausea
Next in the list of best home remedies for nausea we have is lemon. It has neutralizing acids that creates bicarbonates in the stomach in eventually helps to relieve the symptoms of the nausea. Moreover, it is a great remedy for gas, heartburn, flu and other stomach related problems that often leads nausea. In addition to this, it balances the pH level of the body.
- In a bowl mix together a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice. Lick this solution to get rid of nausea.
- Alternatively, in a glass of water mix one and a half tea spoon of salt and juice from half lemon. Mix it thoroughly and just inhale the solution. However, if you have high blood pressure you can give a miss to salt.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Nausea
ACV is one of the potent remedies for nausea. It helps to get rid of migraine, food poisoning and motion sickness which at times are the primary causes of the nausea. Moreover, it boosts the digestion and helps to treat the other stomach ailments.
- In a cup of water add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add half table spoon of honey in the solution and mix it thoroughly.
- Gulp this solution during the nausea.
5.) Clove or Cinnamon Tea to Cure Nausea Naturally
Clove and cinnamon are essential spices that are packed with medicinal properties. Thus they both are wonderful home remedies for nausea. Cinnamon is a soothing herb that reduces vomiting and nausea. On the other hand cloves boost the digestion and treats the stomach related problems
- In a cup of boiling water , add half teaspoon of cove or cinnamon powder.
- Cover the cup and steep it for a while.
- Later sip this herbal solution slowly to treat the nausea.
- However, do not follow this remedy during pregnancy,
6.) BRAT Diet as a Remedy for Nausea
Not many are aware about the BRAT diet, the term might sound like alien for them. Well it is a diet that comprises of Bananas, rice, toast and applesauce (without sugar). These foods are high binding foods and are low on fibre. All these foods keep the nausea and other problems such as food poisoning, flue associated with nausea under control.
- During nausea all you have to do is consume the above listed foods only.
- Try to overcook the toast.
- Avoid other foods and especially junk food for a time you are experiencing nausea and other related health issues.
7.) Chamomile to Get Rid of Nausea
Chamomile has soothing and calming compounds that relaxes the muscles and relieves the stomach ache and vomiting. Moreover, it will calm down your entire body. It is a great remedy to keep the stress at the bay.
- In a cup of hot water add three teaspoons of the dried chamomile and leave it for a few minutes.
- Later strain the solution and sip it on slowly.
- If you want you can go ahead and some honey to this wonderful herbal tea before sipping.
- However, if you are pregnant then give this remedy a miss.
8.) Cumin Seeds as a Home Remedy for Nausea
Cumin seeds promotes digestion. It helps to secrete the digestive enzymes that speeds up the digestion process. In addition to this it also helps to absorb all the nutrients in the body, which further help to recover nausea in short time.
- Put a teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup, pour hot water into it.
- Cover the cup and let it too steep for a while.
- After a few minutes add a dash of nutmeg powder to it and sip it.
- You can also chew cumin seeds.
- Or simply add a tablespoon of the cumin seeds in a glass of water and gulp it.
9.) Fennel Seeds to Cure Nausea
Fennel is also considered as one of the best home remedies for nausea. This is because it prevents the gas and also helps expulsion of the gas. This relieves the nausea that is caused due to the flatulence and intestinal gas. In addition to this has aesthetic constituents that reduces the queasiness. It is a great remedy, especially because it can be taken during pregnancy as well.
- In a cup put a teaspoon of the fennel seeds and pout hot water on it. Cover the cup and steep it for 10 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and lemon juice to it. Drink this tea to get rid of nausea.
- You can also chew a handful of fennel seeds
10.) Anise as a Home Remedy for Nausea
Also known as aniseeds, anise is one of the wonderful home remedies for nausea and vomiting as well. It consists of phytoestrogen that boost the digestions and provides you relief.
- In a cup put one-quarter of anise and pour some hot water in it.
- Cover the cup and let it steep for a while.
- After a few minutes strain the solution and drink it gradually.
- Alternatively, chew a handful of anise for immediate relief.
11.) Cold Compress to Get rid of Nausea
Apply a cold compress on the back of the neck as soon as you experience nausea. This will help reduce the queasiness and morning sickness. Moreover, it will soothe your body and help to combat with stress as well.
- Lie down and place the cold compress under the neck.
- You can either get a cold compress from the market or can simply dip a washcloth in cold water and use it as cold compress. Or simply take frozen vegetable and use it directly.
- If you cannot lie down, then sit down and place the cold compress on the back or neck. To secure it can tie something.
12.) Aromatherapy to Get Rid of Nausea
Aromatherapy is a perfect solution to combat with stress, anxiety, and nausea. The essential oils such as lavender oil, peppermint oil have calming effect. The pleasing aroma of the essential oil will soothe your mind. Simply spray any of the essential oil in your room and relax for an hour. Spend some me time and give your body some time to recover.