Muscle strain also known as pulled muscle is one of the common problems especially among those who lift weight or are regular gym goers. The condition can be worsened if you do not follow immediate remedies. Sometime people do not do warm up or stretching and straight away begins with the workout. Since our body is not prepared for the workout thus the muscles get pulled. Read more to know, remedies to treat a pulled muscle.
Remedies to Treat a Pulled Muscle:
1.) Cold Compress to Get Rid of Muscle Strain
This is probably the simplest, easiest and quick way to treat a pulled muscle. Place an ice pack or cold compress on the affected area, it will make the blood vessels numb that will help to reduce the circulation of the blood flow to the painful sight. This will help to cure the swelling and inflammation caused due to muscle strain.
- Wrap a few ice cubes into a washcloth and use it as ice pack to cure the pulled muscle.
- Dab this ice pack on the affected area for a few seconds and change it when the ice starts melting.
- Dab the ice pack on the affected area after 2 hours until you get rid of pulled muscle completely.
- You can use frozen vegetable bag instead or can buy a cold pad also known as cold compress from the market to cure pulled muscle.
2.) Warm Compress to Cure Pulled Muscle
Another way to get rid of muscle strain is applying warm compress. It will provide you relief from the pain, inflammation, sore muscles and the swelling. However, it should be done after 24 hours of the muscle pain. It soothes the muscles that helps to reduce the charley horse. Moreover, it helps to cure the muscle stiffness in the tendons and ligaments as well.
- Dip a washcloth or a soft towel into the hot water, squeeze the extra water and dab it over the affected area.
- Soak the towel or washcloth in the hot water when it cools down.
- Repeat this a few times to treat a pulled muscle.
- You can also use hot bag or heating pad instead.
- A bottle filled with warm water is also nice solution for pulled muscle treatment.
3.) Epsom Salt to Get Rid of a Muscle Sprain
You can also use Epsom salt to treat pulled muscle. It helps to alleviates the muscle pain because it has magnesium sulfate, that is known to be a natural muscle relaxant. The magnesium pulls out the access flied from the tissues that intern helps to reduce pain and swelling.
- In your bath water add two cups of Epsom salt water.
- Immerse the effected body part in the water for a few minutes.
- Then pat the area dry and wrap the elastic bandage around.
- Do this regularly until you the muscle strain disappears.
- However, if you are diabetic, have high blood pressure or have heart problem then avoid this remedy.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Muscle Strain Treatment
Next remedy in our list of remedies to treat a pulled muscle naturally is apple cider vinegar. ACV cures the cramps and soreness around. It is packed with the alkalizing and anti-inflammatory properties that helps to alleviate the inflammation and pain caused due to strain.
- Pour warm water and some apple cider vinegar in your bath tub and soak your body into it.
- Soak yourself especially the affected area until the water cools down. Repeat this a few times in a day to cure the muscle strain.
- Alternatively, mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of cold water and drink it regularly until the symptoms of the muscle strain subsides.
- For a nice taste, you can add a tablespoon of honey to it before drinking.
5.) Black Strap Molasses for Pulled Muscles Treatment
Black strap molasses is high in mineral like potassium and calcium as well. These nutrients help to strengthen the bones, muscles and joints. Moreover, it is packed with iron also that provide enough energy and speed up the metabolism.
- Prepare a concoction of black strap molasses, apple cider vinegar and honey with ginger paste. Add some water to it for a nice consistency.
- Drink this concoction two times a day to treat a pulled muscle.
- You can also prepare this concoction in the bulk and refrigerate it for the future use.
6.) Clove Oil to Get Rid of Muscle Strain
Next remedy in our list of remedies to get rid of pulled muscle is clove oil. It is a wonderful remedy for muscle strain. It has anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties that helps to reduce the pain, swelling and inflammation caused due to the pulled muscle.
- In a pan pour two tablespoons of the clove oil and heat it.
- After heating it enough switch off the gas and leave it at room temperature so that the oil can cool down.
- Once the oil cools down enough, use this to massage for a couple of minutes.
- Massage clove oil a few times a day regularly until the pain disappears completely.
7.) Bandage to Treat a Pulled Muscle
The bandage will reduce the pressure exerted over the muscle, that will aid the inflammation swelling and pain caused due to the muscle cramps. Moreover, it will speed up the healing process.
- Get plastic bandage from a drug store and wrap it over the affected area.
- Make sure, that you do not wrap it tightly otherwise it will interfere in the blood circulation.
- If the pain persists or gets swelling around you can loosen the bandage.
- Leave the bandage on for at least 2-3 days or until the symptoms of muscle pull subsides.
- To make it more beneficial you can combine this with cold compress.
8.) Garlic to Treat a Pulled Muscle
Garlic is packed with the analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that makes it an effective remedy for muscle strain. This helps to alleviate the swelling, inflammation and the pain around.
- In a pain add some sesame or coconut oil. Put it on the low heat. After a couple of seconds add some cloves of garlic into it. When the bulbs of the garlic turn brown, switch off the gas.
- Leave the oil at room temperature so that it can down enough.
- Use this oil to massage the effective area. Leave it on.
- After a few hours take hot shower for added benefits.
- This will speed up the healing process.
- Repeat this regularly until the sprain subsides.
- Alternatively, have a few cloves of garlic regularly early in the morning.
9.) Cayenne Paper to Cure a Pulled Muscle
A compound known is capsaicin is found in the cayenne paper that possess anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. These properties help to reduce the swelling, inflammation and the pain caused due to the muscle strain.
- Heat some olive oil, a one and a half tablespoon of cayenne paper in it.
- Apply this combination over the affected area.
- Do these two times in day until the pain subsides
- Alternatively, sprinkle cayenne paper on your foods.
10.) Tart Cherry Juice to Cure Muscle Strain
Tart cherries are packed with the antioxidants that helps to reduce the pain and swelling caused due to the muscle strain. Moreover, tart cherries have anti-inflammatory properties that further aids sore muscles.
- Drink a glass of tart cherry juice regularly for 10 days. This will boost the muscle strength.
- You can also have fresh tart cherries or frozen cherries also.
- However, do not add sugar in the juice and make sure the frozen or canned tart cherries do not contain preservatives.
11.) Stretching to Prevent Pulled Muscle
Stretching is the best way to prevent the muscle strain. Make sure you warm up before starting the workout or exercises. When there is no motion in the muscles they tend to stiff and thus it pains much. This will also speed up the healing process.
- Move the affected area s few times in the day without staring and stress much.
- You can also learn various stretching exercises. Make sure you stretch the affected area regularly before going to the bed and in the morning as soon as you wake up.
12.) Coconut Oil to Treat a Pulled Muscle
Coconut oil also help to provide relief in the pain. It can be used to massage the area. Coconut oil helps to improve the blood circulation and provides warm to the affected area that helps to speed up the healing process.
- Heat some coconut oil, add a few bulbs of garlic into it. When the garlic turns brown remove it from the burner.
- Leave the oil at the room temperature so that it cools down
- Then use this oil to massage the affected area.
13.) Turmeric to Treat a Muscle Pain
Turmeric is one of the best remedies to cure the pulled muscle. It has anti-inflammatory properties and medicinal properties that helps to heal the muscle and foot cramp. It will also help to speed up the healing process.
- Prepare a paste of turmeric powder, black pepper and coconut oil. Apply this paste on the after area. Leave it overnight and rinse the affected area with warm water for spare benefits.
- The best way to heal the muscle cramp is mix a pinch of turmeric in a glass of warm milk. Drink this before going to the bed regularly.
- You can also look for its supplements as well.
14.) Vitamin C to Cure Pulled Muscle
Vitamin C improves the collagen production that helps to repairs the tissues and the blood vessels. This will in turn help to get rid of muscle strain and speed up the healing process.
- Consume food rich in vitamin c.
- Drink fresh juices.
- You can also have vitamin C supplements.
15.) Rest to Heal the Muscle Cramp
Everything said and done, nothing will work if you won’t take the sufficient rest. Take s sufficient rest so that muscles get time to heal. Along with the rest keep your affected area paving. Do not put pressure on it but keep moving it otherwise it will get stiff and will be difficult to cure.