Love is incomplete without ‘Love Bites’ or ‘Hickeys’. But everyone is not pleased with a hickey or kiss mark. It is not possible to roam around with hickeys. To avoid the embarrassment you need to treat a hickey as soon as possible. This article is all about what is a Hickey and how you can remove and give hickey.
A hickey is a love bite or kiss mark which is caused by aggressive kissing or sucking a partner’s flesh. It is initially a red color bruise due to broken blood vessels under the skin. After sometime, it will turn dark brown or purple as it heals. Hickeys are not dangerous and painful.
How Long Does a Hickey Last?
A hickey can vary in sizes and if it is untreated then it may last 1 to 2 weeks.
How to Give Someone a Hickey?
A hickey is a mark of passion and it can be given and received by both the men and women.
It is a sexual mark which makes you feel embarrassed. So, you should ask for permission to give a hickey to your partner as it can be painful.
- Hickeys work best on delicate and thin skin which is found on the neck. Start with hard kisses and press your lips onto your partner’s skin without leaving any gap.
- Now, suck hard to break the blood vessels beneath the skin. To make a mark, suck for at least 30 seconds.
- After 5 to 10 minutes you will see a love mark or bruise.
How to Remove a Hickey?
A hickey should be removed on time. There are many ways to remove a hickey such as makeup, home remedies and natural remedies. You can also hide your hickey with a scarf or any other clothes.
Symptoms of a Hickey:
- Bruise like mark that is purple or brown in color.
- Swelling in the affected skin area.
- Blood clotting
Best Remedies to Remove a Hickey:
1.) Ice Pack to Get Rid of a Hickey Fast
Using ice pack is the best home remedy for a hickey. Ice pack can relieve pain and reduce swelling.
Steps to Use Ice Pack for Hickey Removal:
- Take a clean cloth and wrap an ice pack in it.
- You can also use the cooled spoon and place it on the hickey but don’t rub it on your skin.
- An alternative method, use a bag of frozen vegetables such as peas and place it on your love bite.
- Keep the ice pack for at least 20 minutes. Apply the ice pack many times a day.
2.) Hot Compress to Cure a Hickey Fast
If you want to get rid of hickey fast, then use the hot compression method. The hot compress helps to heal the collected blood beneath the skin.
Steps to Use Hot Compress to Remove a Hickey Fast:
- Place a hot water bottle or warm compress on the hickey or love bite for 10 to 20 minutes.
- You can also heat some water and soak a towel in this warm water. Now, place this warm towel to your hickey to get relief from swelling and pain.
- Apply hot compress several times a day for quick results.
3.) Cosmetics to Get Rid of a Hickey Fast
If you don’t have time to use any home remedy, then you can use your makeup to remove your hickey. Using cosmetics is the best way to hide a hickey.
Steps to Use Cosmetics to Treat a Hickey:
- Apply some concealer to your affected skin with the help of a brush.
- After applying concealer, apply a foundation on it. As it will hide your hickey very smartly.
4.) Toothbrush or Comb to Remove a Hickey Fast
This method is one of the easiest methods to break up hickey and helps to disperse the blood in your body.
Steps to Use Toothbrush or Comb to Treat a Hickey:
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush and brush the affected area. Gently brush the region and it will reduce the inflammation. Don’t apply so much pressure as it can damage your skin.
- Do it 5 to 10 minutes and after this place a cold compress for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this method as necessary.
5.) Mint or Mint Toothpaste to Get Rid of Hickeys Naturally
Peppermint or mint oil based lotions and creams helps to increase the blood circulation. You can also use mint toothpaste to remove a hickey.
Steps to Use Mint or Mint Toothpaste to Treat a Hickey Naturally:
- You can use mint toothpaste, peppermint oil and peppermint lotion.
- Apply any of these products to your hickey and after some time use a warm towel to clean it.
- Repeat this method 2 or 3 times a day for removing hickey.
6.) Lipstick or Pen Caps to Cure Hickeys Fast
This method is same as toothbrush method, this method helps to improve blood circulation and break up the blood.
Steps to Use Lipstick or Pen Caps to Treat Hickeys:
- Take a pen cap, chap stick, lipstick cap or can use any small cylindrical object.
- Place the cap on the hickey.
- Press the cap hard into your skin, but don’t press it too hard as it may hurt you.
- Twist the cap while pressing it.
- Hold it for 10 to 20 seconds and then release.
- Repeat it many times for 10 to 15 minutes daily.
7.) Massage to Get Rid of Hickey Fast and Naturally
Massaging a hickey works great for hickeys. Massaging helps to break up the blood clot and increase the blood circulation in the area, thus helping to treat a hickey.
Steps for Massaging to Remove a Hickey Fast:
- First, use a heating pad or warm towel and apply to the hickey area. After applying heat pad, use your fingers to gently massage the affected area.
- Massage your affected area in circular motion as it helps to break up the blood clot and disperse the blood beneath the skin.
- Put your fingers on the hickey and apply pressure. Now, drag your fingers towards the outer area of the hickey.
- Do it many times a day to remove a hickey.
8.) Vitamin K to Remove a Hickey Fast
The natural coagulation properties in vitamin K are used for treating bruises like hickeys. Vitamin K helps the body to absorb the clotted blood, thus removing hickey faster.
Steps to Use Vitamin K to Prevent Hickey:
- Use any cream that contains vitamin K and apply it to the hickey for 2 to 3 times a day to remove a hickey.
- You can also consume vitamin K rich foods such as brown rice, soybean oil, broccoli for some days that helps to heal the hickey fast.
9.) Coin Scraping to Get Rid of a Hickeys Fast
Coin scraping is quite painful, but it can be used to remove hickey. This method works great for treating hickey.
Steps to Use Coin to Remove a Hickey:
- Use coin to scrape your affected skin as hard as you can as it disperse the clotted blood on the surface of the skin.
- After scraping you will see that the redness of the hickey fades a lot.
10.) Aloe Vera to Cure a Hickey Naturally and Fast
Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer which works great for hickey due to its soothing and anti-inflammatory qualities. Aloe vera helps to reduce the skin sensitivity in the affected skin area and speed up the healing process.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Prevent Hickey Naturally:
- Rub aloe vera gel on the hickey and massage it 2 to 3 times a day.
- You can also apply the cream or lotion that contains aloe vera.
11.) Banana Peel to Get Rid of a Hickey Naturally
Banana peel is one of the best home remedies for removing a hickey. Banana peel contains cooling and soothing qualities that helps to minimize the hickey fast.
Steps to Use Banana Peel to Cure a Hickey Naturally:
- Take a ripe banana and cut a piece of it.
- Put the inside part of the peel on your hickey.
- Keep the peel for half an hour.
- You can use this method 2 or 3 times a day to reduce the hickey.
12.) Cocoa Butter to Remove a Hickey Naturally
Cocoa butter is the best healing agent for treating hickeys and other bruises. It is an excellent moisturizer that promotes the skin tissue.
Steps to Use Cocoa Butter to Treat a Hickey Naturally:
- First, apply a warm compress on your hickey area.
- Then, apply cocoa butter on the affected skin area to increase its effectiveness.
- After applying the cocoa butter, massage the area for some time.
- Apply the cocoa butter 2 or 3 times a day.