How to use home remedies for asthma attack and asthma treatment? Asthma is a chronic disease caused by the severe swelling in the air passages of the lungs, through which the air passes. There is inflammation in the air passages which results in severe coughing, breathlessness and a tightening feeling in the chest.
The lungs of a patient of asthma are perennially inflamed and tends to react to certain substances aggressively, which in turns leads to the contraction of the lungs resulting in decreased air flow.
Reasons Behind Asthma Attack:
There are many reasons which can be attributed to the cause of asthma. Environmental as well as genetic factors plays the most important role is making the problem worse.
Genetic Reasons – Asthma is a genetic condition and are present in children whose parents happened to be chronic asthma patients. It can also be common among kids, whose mothers were addicted to smoking during the period of pregnancy. People with a family history of eczema, hay fever or other types of hay fever are also susceptible to asthma attack.
Obesity – In recent researches it has been observed that obese people are more prone to asthma attack, than their healthier counterparts. Too much of body fat tends to make the lungs passage narrower leading to asthma attack. In a research conducted by the Colorado university, it has been observed that being overweight increases the chances of asthma in a person by 50%.
Environmental Factors- Asthma patients are sensitive to environmental factors like the exposure to too much dust, pollen or dust mites. Excessive cold weather conditions also act as a trigger. One or all the factors combined can cause irritation in the lungs and cause asthma attack.
Smoking Tobacco- Tobacco is believed to be one of the main reasons behind the increasing numbers of asthma patients all over the world. Cigarettes contain harmful chemical substances, which can affect the walls of the lungs in a very severe manner.
Physical Exercise- Physical exercise often results in shortness of breath, known as exercise induced asthma, which is caused by strain. Leading a healthy lifestyle and doing moderate exercises can reduce the possibility of an attack significantly.
Birth related defects- Sometimes it so happens that a baby is born prematurely and the lungs don’t get sufficient time to grow properly, which results in narrow air passages leading to asthma. Improper growth within the womb is also another reason for asthma related problem in childhood.
Home Remedies for Asthma Attack & Treatment:
Asthma is a chronic problem and there is no permanent, on time solution to it. The only way to prevent the attack is by making some lifestyle changes and by consuming a healthy diet. There are many allopathic medicines are available for emergency purposes, however, it is always a good idea to take the help of home remedies.
1.) Ginger For Asthma Attack and Treatment
Ginger works like wonder for many asthma patients. There are many ways to consume ginger. The most common ones are listed below.
- Take a piece of raw ginger, Add some salt to it and eat it slowly.
- Take a saucepan and add one cup of water to it.
- Once the water starts boiling, add some ginger and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and allow it to cool down.
- Drink it daily to get relief from asthma problems.
- Mix ginger juice with pomegranate juice in equal quantities and consume two to three tablespoons of this mixture twice every day.
- In case you don’t have access to raw ginger, use ground ginger powder. Add two tablespoons of ground ginger to water and drink it for similar benefits.
2.) Mustard Oil For Asthma Attack and Treatment
- Mustard oil has the unique capability to soothing your sore muscles, thereby helping the air to pass easily.
- Heat some mustard oil in an oil burner.
- Add some camphor to this oil.
- Allow the oil and camphor mixture to cool down significantly.
- Use this oil to massage your lungs, when it is still warm.
3.) Garlic Tea For Asthma Attack and Treatment
Though garlic has a pungent and messy smell, it works wonders in relaxing the muscles of your lungs. There are many ways of using garlic, however, making a garlic tea is one of the most effective means.
- Take a few cloves of garlic.
- Add these garlic cloves to the water.
- Let the water and garlic cloves boil for sometime.
- Remove the mixture from heat and allow the mixture to cool down.
- Once it has cooled down significantly drink the tea.
- Alternatively, instead of water you can use milk in the similar manner.
4.) Eucalyptus Oil For Asthma Attack and Treatment
The eucalyptus oil obtained from eucalyptus tree has a unique property known as eucalyptol, which works as a wonderful decongestant and helps in relieving the lungs from mucus build up. The procedure of using eucalyptus oil is relatively simple and provides long lasting relief.
- Take few drops of the oil and pour it in your handkerchief and inhale the aroma frequently to get relief from repeated bouts of coughing.
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops of the oil to a pot of boiling water and inhale the steam for better results.
- Repeat the process for a couple of times in a day for more effective results.
5.) Honey For Asthma Attack and Treatment
- Honey is a natural anti- decongestant and can soothe the irritation.
- Take a teaspoon of honey and mix it with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Consume this mixture at regular intervals during the day for relief from asthma.
- Another way of consuming honey is by adding a spoonful of honey to a glass of water and sipping it slowly to get rid of the phlegm buildup in the lungs.
- Honey is so effective that merely by smelling it, you can notice a marked difference in your conditions.
6.) Lemon Juice For Asthma Attack and Treatment
Lemon juice is a powerhouse of antioxidant and vitamin C. It has the power of reducing asthma attack symptoms like coughing or shortness of breath.
- Take a lemon and slice it into two equal halves.
- Squeeze the juice and add it to one quart of water.
- You can use honey as a sweetener for additional benefits.
- Ensure that you do not consume bottled lemon juice, which will not give you any benefit.
7.) Salmon For Asthma Attack and Treatment
Consume fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Fish like salmon, Mackerel and tuna are infused with leukotriene inhibitors, which helps to reduce the inflammation and irritation of the lungs. You can make tuna salad, eat them baked or boiled or in any form you fancy.
8.) Turmeric Treatment For Asthma Attack and Treatment
Turmeric is an Indian spice that is used to give color to Indian dishes. Turmeric is a rich source of anti-inflammatory ingredients that can work wonder in curing inflammation. Turmeric is easily available in Indian stores in powdered or root form. The raw form always works better than the commercially available powdered form.
- Take some raw turmeric and cut it into small pieces.
- Make a fine paste by grinding it in a blender with the help of some water.
- Add a spoonful of this paste in a glass of warm milk and consume it every day before bedtime.
9.) Fenugreek and Ginger Juice For Asthma Attack and Treatment
- Fenugreek and ginger are excellent ingredients to detoxify the lungs.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds and boil it in water.
- Let the seeds boil for a couple of minutes.
- Strain the juice.
- To this add equal proportions of ginger juice and consume it daily to get relief from asthma.
10.) Spinach and Carrot Juice For Asthma Attack and Treatment
- Take a handful of spinach and wash it thoroughly.
- Blend it in the blender and extract the juice.
- Cut a few pieces of carrot in small pieces and grind them in the blender with the help of a little water.
- Separate the pulp from the juice.
- Fill a glass with 2/3 of carrots juice and 1/3 of spinach juice and mix it thoroughly.
- Drink this mixture thrice in a day to get better results.
11.) Coffee For Asthma Attack and Treatment
Coffee is a very easily available ingredient found in almost every kitchen. When you feel you are experiencing an unusual asthma trigger, then drink coffee. Coffee has the unique quality of opening up the lungs and helps the air to pass more freely. However, don’t drink more than three cups of coffee in a day, which might cause dehydration. Soda or herbal tea also provides the same benefit. Get hold of any one of the following in times of emergency so that the patient can get quicker relief.
Breathing Exercises. – Panic during an asthma attack, makes things worse. Instead of panicking, practice some breathing exercises and breath in slowly through your nose and exhale the air out through your mouth. You can also try taking a warm bath or sit in the bathroom with the hot water running. Steam from the hot water will help to relax the air passages and make things easier for you.
How to Prevent Asthma Attacks?
Asthma is a chronic problem and tend to relapse at the slightest provocation. There are many factors that contribute to these attacks, known as asthma triggers. It is important to understand the triggers and act accordingly to avoid attacks and get relief as fast as possible in case an attack happens.
Dietary changes- Asthma attacks are closely related to allergic reactions. Most of these reactions are food based allergies. In case you are asthma patient then avoid any kind of fried foods. Try to drink a lot of water above the room temperature. Stay away diary products like cheese, milk or eggs, which have a tendency to accumulate phelgum. Follow a habit of early dinner and finish your dinner at least one hour before hitting the bed.
Avoid contact with pets to prevent asthma attacks- The little furry creatures in our house are a storehouse of dander, which gets transmitted by the saliva of your pets. Dander is nothing but the dead and dried skin of the pets which flakes off and is retained by the pets in their saliva. In case you already have a pet, make sure it gets a regular bath. Restrict its movement in the house and prohibit it from entering your bedroom. While travelling keep your pet at home or at some pet care center.. Don’t allow your pet to lick your face and wash your hands immediately after cuddling it. Following these methods will reduce your chances of asthma attacks, even in the presence of a pet.
Maintain cleanliness to prevent asthma attacks- cleanliness is your passport to an asthma free life. Under every circumstances maintain a clean household. Don’t allow dust mites to thrive in your house. Use washable curtains instead of draperies. Change your bed sheets, pillow cover every week. Use polyester, linen instead of cotton ones. Cotton tends to hold the dirt and allows the mold to breath. Don’t use carpets which are difficult to clean. Instead, use washable rugs. While cleaning your house always cover your face with a mask, so that you don’t inhale any allergic particle. Use an air purifier and keep your windows close even if they have a screen, because molds tend to enter through the window panes.
Quit smoking to prevent asthma attack – Smoking is very fatal for asthma patients. It not only makes you susceptible to more attacks, but also damages your respiratory tract and makes you prone to more deadly diseases like cancer and tuberculosis. The chances of infection are significantly heightened by the use of smoking. It causes irritation and makes the inflammation worse. Smoking not only harms the smoker, but also does significant damage to others present in the room.
Take care to avoid extreme weather and pollen attacks- Extreme weather conditions tend to aggravate the problem with asthma patients. During the winter months try to remain indoors and take enough precaution while moving out. Allergic reaction to the cold weather can trigger asthma attacks. In the Months preceding the falls, the attacks by pollen allergies are very high. In order to avoid pollen attack, wear a mask over your face and keep your windows close. Use a humidifier to ensure the pollen don’t get a chance to thrive in your house. When you stay outdoors in the open for a long period of time, wash your cloths and vacuum them before reusing them, to ensure they are free from all types of pollen.
The fatality of asthma attacks lies in the fact that they are sudden and happens without any prior warning. In case you are chronic patient, then always carry an inhaler for emergency purposes. In case you don’t have any then remember not to panic in the midst of an attack. Lie on your back and try to breath through your abdomen, instead of your chest to ensure you get maximum air. Gradually breath out and repeat the process until the clinching feeling subsides.