In this article, we will suggest you some of the best home remedies for bronchitis treatment. Bronchitis is a respiratory disease which is responsible for causing swelling and inflammation of the mucous membranes in the bronchial passages of your lungs. This condition can be acute or chronic. The acute bronchitis generally last for 1 to 2 weeks. On the other hand, chronic bronchitis can last for about 3 months to 2 years. A person suffering from this problem generally requires a regular medical treatment, as it is a very serious long-term disorder. A person suffering from bronchitis usually tries some over-the-counter medications to manage its symptoms. There are also some easy and simple, natural home remedies that can provide relief from bronchitis. Before moving on to the remedies listed below, let us known about the causes and symptoms associated with bronchitis.
Causes of Bronchitis:
This respiratory disease is mainly caused by the viruses or bacteria that irritate the bronchial tubes. There are some other causes as well of this ailment which are as follows:
Symptoms of Bronchitis:
The most common symptoms of bronchitis experienced by adults or children are as follows:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Coughing with mucous
- Chest pain or tightening of the chest.
- Muscle aches
- Nasal congestion
Home Remedies for Bronchitis Treatment:
1.) Garlic as a Home Remedy to Treat Bronchitis
Garlic is one of the best natural home remedies for bronchitis treatment. It is very effective, especially in acute bronchitis treatment. Garlic is known to have antibiotic and antiviral qualities which helps cure bronchitis very easily. Here is the method to do it.
- Take 3 garlic cloves.
- Peel and chop them in small pieces.
- Add them in a glass of milk and boil it.
- Drink this milk at night before going to sleep.
2.) Honey to Get Rid of Bronchitis Fast and Naturally
Honey has great antiviral as well as antibacterial properties that are considered very useful to treat bronchitis at home. Honey helps in soothing the throat fast. In addition, honey also helps build a strong immune system. You can use honey in different ways that are:
- Take 1 tsp of honey and add it in your regular cup of tea.
- Add 1-2 tsp of honey with a pinch of black pepper, 1-2 clove powder and fresh ginger paste.
- Consume this mixture to reduce the burning sensation.
- To lower the throat inflammation and congestion, you can add a few drops of lemon in warm water along with 1 tsp of honey to it. Drink it after stirring it well.
3.) Onion as a Natural Remedy for Bronchitis Treatment at Home
The onion has an expectorant effect on bronchitis, which helps dissolve phlegm and mucus, hence providing quick relief from bronchitis. Apart from it, onion juice will also help prevent further build up of mucus or phlegm. It is among the best home remedies for bronchitis treatment.
- Just consume 1 tsp of raw onion juice daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Also, you can add raw onions in your salad or use while cooking.
4.) Ginger as a Natural Remedy to Treat Bronchitis
Ginger is widely used for treating the common cold. It can also help with bronchitis treatment. The immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory properties found in ginger help you give relief from irritated, inflamed or swollen bronchial tubes.
- Simply take ½ tsp each of cinnamon, ground ginger and cloves.
- Mix all of them in a cup of hot water.
- Stir well and drink the mixture for several days to get relief.
- Optionally, you can also mix 1 tsp each of pepper, ginger powder, and cloves.
- Consume it thrice a day with milk or honey.
5.) Sesame Seeds to Get Rid of Bronchitis
Sesame seeds have excellent medicinal properties which treat bronchitis naturally and effectively. It helps relieve chest pain. It is one of the best home remedies for bronchitis treatment. For healing the symptoms of bronchitis, follow these steps.
- Take 1 tsp each of sesame seeds, linseed, and honey. Mix them well.
- Add a small quantity of common salt to this mixture.
- Mix this mixture well and consume it daily before going to sleep.
6.) Eucalyptus Oil to Treat Bronchitis
Steam therapy is another very effective remedy when you are suffering from bronchitis. Adding eucalyptus essential oil will help soften the mucus in the obstructed airways, while its antibacterial properties will help in enhancing the healing process.
- Just mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water.
- Cover your head with a towel in order to inhale the steam completely. If you don’t have eucalyptus oil, you can use tea tree oil or pine oil.
- You can also apply eucalyptus oil externally on the chest.
- This will help in expelling the mucus and improve the functioning of your respiratory system.
7.) Water to Prevent Bronchitis
When you are suffering from bronchitis, it is advised to keep your body hydrated. Drinking sufficient water will help maintain a productive cough and clear liquids.
- Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water regularly.
- You can also drink vegetable juices and fruit juice to maintain hydration level.
- In the morning, drink a glass of water mixed with the juice squeezed from half a lime. Add a little honey if you want.
- Avoid caffeine or alcohol, as they can promote loss of extra fluid. This make the mucus tougher to dislodge.
8.) Turmeric as a Natural Remedy for Bronchitis Treatment
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties which are excellent for treating the cough associated with bronchitis condition. Follow below mentioned remedy to expectorate the excess mucus and for quick relief.
- take 1 tsp of turmeric powder and add it to a glass of milk. Boil it.
- Drink it 2-3 times a day.
- For faster results, drink this on an empty stomach.
- Remember this remedy is not for the people who are suffering hyperacidity, gallbladder stones, stomach ulcers or obstructive jaundice.
9.) Epsom Salt to Get Rid of Bronchitis
Epsom salt is also among the best home remedies for bronchitis treatment. Having an Epsom salt bath help in relieving from bronchitis symptoms, especially in case of acute bronchitis. Here is the method.
- For Epsom salt bath, Take 2 to 3 pounds of Epsom salt and mix it with warm bath water.
- When the salt gets fully dissolved, soak yourself in the bath for about a 30 minutes.
- If you are suffering from chronic bronchitis, do this 2 times a week. In case of acute bronchitis, do this every night or on alternate nights.
10.) Salt Water as a Home Remedy
Another method to treat bronchitis is gargling with salt water several times in a day. It is one of the best home remedies for bronchitis symptoms. It helps soothe the inflammation in your throat. Plus it also helps cut through some of the mucus responsible for irritation in the throat.
- Just take 1 tsp of salt and mix it in a glass of warm water. Gargle with it several times in a day.
- Remember to use the same amount of salt, as too much salt can cause you a burning sensation in your throat, while too little will not be effective.