Canker sores are small and painful ulcers. It can be occur inside the mouth, lips, tongue or throat. It is not easy to ignore canker sores because when you eat or drink it hurts. A canker sore is usually a short lived misery and it can be treated with home remedies. A canker sore is not serious problem and it is not contagious. In this article, we will discuss some home remedies for canker sores.
Canker sores are also known as Aphthous ulcers. Canker sores are shallow lesions that develop on the soft tissues inside your mouth or at the base of your gums. Canker sores can last more than 3 weeks. There are several factors that cause canker sores such as acidic or spicy food, injury to the mouth, stress, hormones and vitamin deficiencies. Canker sores require treatment or you can treat it at home as well. Home remedies will help to reduce the pain and inflammation and speed up the healing process.
Symptoms of Canker Sores:
- A painful sore inside your mouth, on the soft palate, on the tongue or inside your cheeks.
- A burning or tingling sensation before the sore appears.
- Sores in your mouth that are round, gray or white with a red border.
Causes of Canker Sores:
- Anxiety or stress
- Oral trauma
- Hormonal changes
- Drugs like anti-inflammatory drugs
- Food allergies
- Toothpastes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate
- Deficiencies of folic acid, iron or vitamin B12
Best Home Remedies for Canker Sores:
1.) Coconut Oil to Treat Canker Sores Naturally
Steps to Use Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Canker Sores:
- Take a little amount of coconut oil and dab a cotton ball in it.
- Apply it on the sore.
- Repeat it 2 to 3 times a day until you get relief from canker sore.
2.) Salt Water to Cure Canker Sores Fast
Salt water is one of the best home remedies for canker sores. Salt will remove the fluid from a canker sore and can speed up the healing process.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Treat Canker Sore Fast:
- Take 1 tsp of salt and add it into a cup of lukewarm water and mix it well.
- Use this solution to wash your mouth.
- Swish the solution in your mouth for a few seconds and then spit it out.
- After rinsing your mouth, put a pinch of salt on the affected area. You will feel pain but it will speed up the healing process.
- Repeat this method 4 to 5 times a day.
3.) Yogurt to Prevent Canker Sores Fast and Naturally
Yogurt is produced by bacterial fermentation which is good for treating canker sores. Yogurt help to balance out the bacteria in your mouth.
Steps to Use Yogurt to Get Rid of Canker Sore Fast:
- Consume 1 tbsp yogurt 3 times daily.
- You can also add a little honey to yogurt for taste.
- This method will help to boost the healing process.
4.) Aloe Vera to Get Relief from Canker Sores Naturally
Aloe vera is one of the effective natural remedies for treating canker sores. The anti-inflammatory, curative and antibacterial properties in aloe vera helps to reduce the pain and inflammation. It also help to speed up the healing process.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Cure Canker Sores Fast:
- Take 1 tsp of aloe vera gel and 1 tbsp of water and mix it well.
- Swish with this solution 3 times a day to ease the pain.
- You can also apply aloe vera gel directly on the canker sore.
- Alternatively, you can take 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel 3 times a day for best results.
5.) Honey to Get Rid of Canker Sores Fast and Naturally
Honey is one of the best home remedies for canker sores treatment. Use raw organic honey which makes a wonderful soothing coating for canker sore. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties in honey help to reduce pain.
Steps to Use Honey to Treat Canker Sores Overnight:
- Apply raw honey directly all around the canker sore. Raw honey helps to reduce the inflammation and pain. Repeat this method many times a day.
- Another method, make a paste by mixing one-quarter tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of honey. Apply this paste on the canker sores and leave it for a few minutes. Wash your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day.
6.) Coriander to Get Rid of Canker Sores Overnight
Coriander is one of the best home remedies for canker sores. The antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties of coriander helps to ease the pain associated with canker sores.
Steps to Use Coriander to Treat Canker Sores Fast:
- Boil a glass of water and add a handful of coriander leaves to it. Strain the coriander and let the water to cool. Gargle with the lukewarm water 3 to 4 times a day.
- Another method, boil 1 cup of water and add 1 tsp of coriander seeds to it. Let it sit for some time and then strain the solution.
- You can also drink the juice of fresh coriander leaves many times a day. Keep the juice in your mouth for sometime so that you will get relief from canker sores.
7.) Baking Soda to Cure Canker Sores Fast
Baking soda is one of the effective home remedies for canker sores treatment. Baking soda helps to neutralize the acidity and ease the pain and inflammation.
Steps to Use Baking Soda to Prevent Canker Sores:
- Make a paste by adding a little water to 1 tsp of baking soda. Apply this paste to the canker sores with your fingers or a cotton swab. Allow it to sit for a few minutes and then wash your mouth with lukewarm water. Do it 3 to 4 times a day.
- An alternate method, you can add 2 tsp of baking soda in a glass of warm water. Then, use this solution to wash your mouth. Follow this home remedy 4 to 5 times a day.
8.) Sage to Get Rid of Canker Sores Fast
Sage is an herb which is effectively used for treating canker sores. The calming property of sage gives you instant relief from canker sores.
Steps to Use Sage to Treat Canker Sores Naturally:
- Boil 2 cups of water and add 3 tsp of sage leaves to it. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Allow the solution to cool at room temperature and then use it to wash your mouth. Repeat it 3 to 4 times a day.
- Another method, you can apply powdered sage leaves on the canker sore and leave it for a few minutes. Repeat this many times a day to treat the canker sore.
9.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Canker Sores Naturally
Tea tree oil is one of the best home remedies for canker sores. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties in tea tree oil works effective to cure canker sores.
Steps to Use Tea Tree Oil to Cure Canker Sores Fast:
- Take a glass of water and add 10 drops of tea tree oil to it. Use this tea tree oil solution as a mouthwash. Repeat it 3 to 4 times a day.
- Alternatively, dilute 2 drops of tea tree oil in one-half tbsp of water. Now apply this solution directly on the affected area. Do this 2 or 3 times a day.
10.) Cayenne Pepper to Prevent Canker Sores Fast
Another most effective ingredient is cayenne pepper which is used for canker sores treatment. Cayenne pepper helps to temporarily numb the nerves and give instant relief from the inflammation and pain.
Steps to Use Cayenne Pepper to Cure Canker Sores Overnight:
- Mix a small amount of cayenne pepper and a little water. Apply this paste on the canker sores. Initially you will feel pain but soon the pain will be reduced. Repeat this remedy 2 times a day until the canker sore is gone.
- You can also try candies that contain cayenne pepper to get relief from canker sore pain.