After writing how to get rid of fruit flies?, how to get rid of bed bugs?, how to get rid of ants?, and how to get rid of fleas?, we are now writing home remedies for cockroaches removal. Cockroaches are one of the most annoying pests in our house. They are very harmful to humans as they carry different diseases and contaminate our food. When the cockroaches come into contact with the food items then they spread the microorganism into the foods that causing many health problems. Cockroaches or roaches can result in diarrhea, skin rashes, food poisoning and allergies. They also cause damages to other items in homes such as wires, clothes, electronic items, books etc. The most common cockroaches are the American cockroaches which are reddish brown in color. Killing cockroaches with chemicals is not good for you, pets, kids and any other human being. Using home remedies is good for killing cockroaches as home remedies don’t harm you and your pets.
Causes of Cockroaches Infestation:
- Cockroaches build their nests in remote corners so that they can flatten their body easily to fit in any space.
- Infestation is possible in clean homes through small crevices and drain pipes.
- Uncovered stored food also attracts cockroaches.
- Irregular pest control methods.
- Poor domestic hygiene.
- Cockroaches can survive with the minimum requirements for food sources.
- They reproduce very fast.
Signs of Cockroaches Infestation:
- Dead cockroaches are easily visible from time to time.
- The eggs of cockroaches can be easily spotted.
- Stomach problem in children may be due to a cockroach infested kitchen.
- Spotting a cockroach in the daytime is an indication of severe infestation.
- A serious infestation can cause a musty and pungent odour.
Best Home Remedies for Cockroaches Removal:
1.) Baking Soda For Cockroaches Removal
Baking soda and sugar is one of the best and effective baits for killing cockroaches. Baking soda will affect their digestive system and build up too much gas into the roaches.
Steps to Use Baking Soda to Kill Cockroaches Fast:
- Take equal amount of sugar and baking soda and mix them well.
- Sprinkle this solution in infested areas.
- When the cockroaches eat this solution then they will die.
2.) Boric Acid to Treat Cockroach Infestations Fast
Boric acid is one of the best home remedies for cockroaches. Boric acid is used for controlling pests. Using boric acid is a toxic way to kill cockroaches.
Steps to Use Boric Acid:
- Put some boric acid on the top of the kitchen cabinets or wherever they are.
- Boric acid is toxic so don’t put them inside the cabinets.
- You can also put it between ceiling and cabinets.
- This method will help to kill their species.
3.) Essential Oils For Cockroaches Removal
Using essential oils is one of the effective home remedies for cockroaches. Cockroaches and other flies cannot stand with the smell of essential oils. Oils include cedar, lemon, rosemary, fir and eucalyptus.
Steps to Use Essential Oils:
- Take a bowl and add 4 drops of lemon essential oil, 10 to 12 drops of cedar essential oil, 4 drops of white fir essential oil, 2 cups of baking soda and 4 tbsp of borax to it.
- Now spray this solution where you find the cockroaches. You can also sprinkle it on carpets and furniture.
- Leave it for half an hour and then vacuum thoroughly so that baking soda residues are removed.
- This method will not only kill cockroaches but also kill fleas, mites, bedbugs, spiders, ticks etc.
4.) Hair Spray For Cockroaches Removal
You can also use hair spray to kill cockroaches. Hair spray is sticky so the wings of cockroaches get glued and they cannot escape. They suffocate due to hairspray and die.
Steps to Use Hair Spray to Treat Cockroaches Infestation:
- Spray the hair solution in infested areas.
- When the cockroaches die put them in dustbin and clean the area with a damp cloth.
5.) Cayenne Pepper to Kill Cockroaches
Cayenne pepper is one of the best home remedies for cockroaches. Due to the smell of the cayenne pepper cockroaches cannot stand. They will not come near to the cayenne pepper.
Steps to Use Cayenne Pepper Cockroaches:
- Take 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper and mix it with a crushed garlic clove and white onion.
- Now boil 4 cups of water and then add this mixture to this water.
- Allow it to cool and then put this solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution in the cockroach infested areas.
- Repeat this method as needed.
6.) Catnip to Get Rid of Cockroaches Fast and Naturally
Catnip is one of the natural remedies for cockroaches. It is a herb and act as a natural repellent for cockroaches. It will not harm your kids and pets.
Steps to Use Catnip to Kill Cockroaches Naturally:
- Take small sachet of catnip and place them where you find a cockroach.
- Another method, prepare a catnip tea by boiling 1 tsp of catnip in 2 cups of water. Use it as a spray and spray it around the infested areas.
- After some time you will see the dead cockroaches.
7.) Soda Bottle Trap to Control Cockroaches
You can make your own trap at home. You can use empty soda bottle to make a trap for cockroaches.
Steps to Use Soda Bottle Trap:
- Take a plastic soda bottle and cut the top of the bottle.
- Now place this detached top of the bottle in inverted position into the body of the bottle.
- Take out the cap and now it act like a funnel.
- Use the tape around the rim.
- Now mix soap and a little water and pour it into the bottle.
- Place it where you see the cockroaches.
- Cockroach will come into the bottle and will drown.
8.) Ammonia Water Solution to Get Rid of Cockroaches
Ammonia works as a repellent for cockroaches due to its pungent smell. Clean the hard surface with ammonia water solution.
Steps to Use Ammonia to Kill Cockroaches at Home:
- Add 2 cups of ammonia in 1 bucket of water.
- Now use this solution to wash the hard surfaces of your bathroom and kitchen.
- Cockroaches will leave your home due to this solution.
- Use this solution once in 2 weeks to prevent cockroaches from entering in your house.
9.) Bay Leaf For Cockroaches Removal
Bay leaf is one of the best home remedies for cockroaches. It also works as a repellent and keep the cockroaches away from your house.
Steps to Use Bay Leaf to Get Rid of Cockroaches:
- Take a handful of bay leaves and crush them.
- Now sprinkle this powder near the places where they usually come.
- The cockroaches will leave your house soon.
10.) Cucumber Trap For Cockroaches Removal
Cucumber is one of the best home remedies for cockroaches. When you place cucumber in aluminium then it react to the metal and produce a stink that cannot be tolerable to cockroaches. Thus, they die.
Steps to Use Cucumber to Kill Cockroaches Fast and Naturally:
- Peel the cucumber and place its peels in the aluminium can.
- Now place it where you will see the cockroaches.
- Wait for sometime to see the died cockroaches.
Additional Tips to Prevent Cockroaches Infestation:
- Take out the garbage and clean the dustbins daily.
- Vacuum your home daily.
- Keep your food in airtight containers.
- Seal sink outlets and drain pipes.
- Seal cracks in cabinets, cupboards, doors and walls.
- Keep your house clean with non toxic disinfectants.