How to use home remedies to get rid of dark circles under eyes? Dark circles are ugly marks around the skin of the eyes caused either by improper diet, excessive stress or hereditary factors. The skin around our eyes are thinner than any other parts of the body and when the blood vessels are pressurized the blood vessels is shown through the bottom layer of the skin, below our eyes. Even though our blood is red in color, the tissues in our skin are only allowing the color blue to pass through it, which results in dark color patches under our eyes. You can also read Causes of dark circles, Home remedies for dark circles under eyes?, How to cure puffy eyes and bags under eyes?, How to get rid of bags under eyes?, and How to get rid of dark circles? on our website.
Causes of Dark Circles Under Eyes:
There are many reasons behind the formation of dark circles under the eyes. They can be hereditary or a side effect of excessive stress and a long period of illness. The main factors are listed below.
Hereditary Factors- Dark circles are hereditary in nature, if a parent or close relative suffers from it, chances are high that the kids will most probably inherit the dark patches under their eyes.
Excessive Stress – often dark circles are an indication of sleep deprivation, excessive stress and fatigue. Working late in the night and failure to get proper diet is a major reason behind the dark circle formation.
Hyperpigmentation- Hyperpigmentation is known as a medical condition, when excessive pigments are produced around the eyes, which is reflected through the thin layer of skin.
Old Age- As we grow old, our skin tends to lose it is elasticity, which makes the skin around our eyes thinner. Due to this condition elderly people are susceptible to undereye dark circles. Also, some people are naturally prone to have thinner skin around their eyes, which puts them to a greater risk of dark circle pigmentation.
Allergies – Some people suffer from severe nasal congestion, allergies, leading to dilated blood vessels around the eyes and nose area, which might result in dark circle formation.
Retention of Fluid – Fluid retention is one of the several causes of dark circles around our eyes. Fluid retention happens due to several reasons. It might be due to pregnancy in females, due to improper functioning of the kidney’s or due to excessive consumption of salty foods.
Prolonged illness- Dark circles occur, when a person suffers from a prolonged period of illness, the blood vessels fails to get sufficient nutrition as a result of which results in less amount of oxygen being carried to the veins, resulting in dark circle formation.
Exposure to the Sun- The UV rays of the sun are pretty harmful and can lead to the severe dark circle formation, especially in people who tend to have a lighter skin tone, and thinner skin around their eyes.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes:
1.) Almond Oil to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Almond is beneficial for the skin and helps in fading the under eye dark circles. The emollient property of the oil, helps to make the external layers of the skin softer, thereby facilitating easier blood flow.
- Instead of almond oil, Vitamin E oil can also be used.
- Take a few drops of Almond Oil .
- Rub it on your finger tips and apply it around your eyes in a circular motion
- Let the oil sit there overnight.
- Rinse it off with cold water in the morning
- Repeat this process regularly to notice improvement in your condition.
2.) Cucumber to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Traditionally cucumbers have been well known for their cooling effects. They provide a soothing effect to tired eyes. Also, their astringent effect helps to diminish the dark patches. The process of using cucumbers is relatively simple and hassle free.
- Take a cucumber and cut thin slices.
- Refrigerate the slices for half an hour.
- Apply those slices on your eyes and allow it to sit for an hour.
- Wash your face after and hour and you can feel the difference easily.
The second method is applying the juice of cucumber:
- Take a cucumber and grind it in a blender.
- Strain the pulp, to obtain the juice.
- Mix some lemon juice with cucumber juice.
- With the help of a clean cotton cloth or cotton ball, apply this mixture around your eyes.
- Leave the mixture in that position for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash it off after the stipulated time and repeat the process regularly to see the difference.
3.) Rose Water to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Rose water is infused with high amount of astringent qualities, which makes it an excellent ingredient to treat sore eyes and under eye dark circles. Besides the astringent quantity in rose water, makes it an excellent ingredient for treating dark circles.
- Take half a cup of rose water.
- Dip into some cotton balls in it.
- Apply those balls directly on your eyes.
- Allow them to sit in that position for 15-20 minutes.
- Repeat this process regularly to see a lighter tone around your eyes.
4.) Tomato to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Tomato like lemon is a well known bleaching agent. It can help to make your skin tone lighter without any harmful side effects.
- Take a ripe tomato and blend it into a blender.
- Extract the juice with the help of a strainer.
- In this juice, add equal amount of lemon juice and mix properly.
- With the help of a cotton ball apply the combination of juice around your eyes.
- Allow it to sit for an hour before washing off with cold water.
- Alternatively, you can also drink, tomato juice every day for similar results.
5.) Potato & Cucumber Juice to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Potato juice has bleaching properties quite similar to lemon juice. It can be applied individually or in combination with cucumber juice. Cucumber juice will provide the coolness, whereas potato juice will help with the bleaching.
- Take a full size potato and grate it.
- Blend it in a mixer and separate the juice from the pulp.
- Mix equal amount of cucumber juice to the potato juice and mix well.
- Apply the juice around your eyes with the help of cotton balls.
- After 30 minutes, rinse your face and apply some almond or coconut oil for better results.
6.) Fenugreek Seeds to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
- Take around 50 grams of fenugreek seeds and soak it in water for at least 12 hours or overnight.
- Blend the seeds in a blender and form a paste.
- To this paste, add some raw milk for a cooling effect.
- Add turmeric and mix all the three ingredients together.
- Apply this paste of fenugreek seeds and milk around your eyes and leave it for a couple of hours.
- Repeat this procedure every day for better results.
7.) Orange Lentil Paste to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
- Take a handful of orange lentils and soak it in water overnight.
- In the morning make a paste, using a blender.
- Grate some tomato and make a pulp.
- Add this pulp to the lentil paste.
- Squeeze some juice and add it to the tomato and lentil mixture
- Mix the three ingredients together and apply it around your eyes.
- Wash it off after an hour and apply a good moisturizer.
8.) Turmeric and Pineapple Juice to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Turmeric is well known among herbal medicine practitioners for its anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, as well as anti- bacterial properties. All properties in turmeric make it an excellent agent to fight several kinds of skin blemishes like pimples, dark spots and under eye dark circles. The bromelain enzyme found in pineapples is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties. When used in combination, both these ingredients can help to lighten your dark circles considerably.
- Take a few slices of pineapple.
- Crush them in a blender and strain the juice.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to the juice and apply the mixture on your dark circles with the help of a clean cloth or cotton ball.
- Wash your face after 30 minutes of applying the juice.
- Repeat this procedure every day for better results.
9.) Buttermilk and Turmeric Treatment to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Buttermilk is known for its exfoliating properties. It can help your body to get rid of the dead skin around your eyes and help to reduce the dark patches. Turmeric with its natural anti-inflammatory properties will help to reduce the puffiness around the eyes.
- Take ¼ teaspoon of turmeric and ½ spoon of buttermilk.
- Mix the two ingredients carefully.
- Apply the paste on your dark circles.
- Allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your face after 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process regularly for faster results.
10.) Mint Leaves to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Mint leaves are a storehouse of antiseptic, astringent, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties. It also has a gentle cooling effect. Mint leaves can help to shrink the blood vessels around the eyes and reduce the appearance of dark circles. You can add lemon juice for additional benefit.
- Take a handful of mint leaves and crush them in a mortar.
- Add some lemon juice to these crushed leaves and mix well.
- Apply the leaves around your eyes and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- You will be able to notice the difference in a matter of few days, if this process is repeated regularly.
11.) Avocado to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Avocado is rich in different types of Vitamins, which helps to replenish the dried out skin and regularize the blood flow to the veins around the eyes, thereby reducing the chances of dark circles.
- Take an avocado and cut thin slices.
- Place the slices on your eyes and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can smash up an avocado and add a few drops of lemon juice and form a paste.
- Apply this paste in your eyes and leave it there for a couple of minutes.
- Wash your face with cold water.
12.) Green Tea Bags to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Green tea is full of antioxidants and can help to reduce the puffiness around the eyes and increase blood circulation greatly.
- Take two green tea bags and place it in a pot.
- Pour some boiling water in the pot
- Allow the tea bags to soak in the water for a few minutes.
- Remove the bags and place it above your eyes.
- Leave it there for a few minutes.
- Repeat the process frequently for greater benefit.
13.) Cold Compress to Get Rid of Dark Circles Under Eyes
Cold compress will help to heal the dilated blood vessels around your eyes, which is one of the main reasons behind dark eyes. You can use anything for cold compress ranging from cold water to milk or even a cold spoon.
- Take some refrigerated water or milk in a bowl.
- Dip a clean cotton cloth in the bowl and apply the cloth over your eyes.
- Leave it in that position unless all the coldness is gone.
- Repeat the process a few times over.
- You can also tie ice cubes or crushed ice in a cotton cloth, for the same purpose.
Other Useful Ways to Prevent Dark Circles:
Get Enough Sleep to Prevent Dark Circles – Sleep is very important for a person. It helps our body to heal and replenish the lost nutrients in our system. Getting enough sleep will ensure a healthy immune system and healthier looking eyes.
Change Sleeping Position to Prevent Dark Circles – It is also important to maintain a good posture while sleeping. Try to sleep on your back using a few pillows to keep your head elevated. This will help the fluid to drain downwards and reduce dark circles.
Practicing Yoga to Prevent Dark Circles – Exercising regularly will help to reduce the puffiness around the eyes. Yoga is a type of breathing exercise, which will help the blood to flow more evenly throughout our body.
Healthy Diet to Prevent Dark Circles – Switch to a healthier diet, consume a lot of green vegetables, fruits and nuts, which are rich in anti-oxidants , vitamins and minerals. These vitamins and minerals will help to keep the skin replenished and provide essential nutrients to the body.
Drink Water to Prevent Dark Circles – Our body needs water to function well. Scarcity of water, will eventually dry out our system and help to build up toxins in it. Drink at least 10 glasses of water to ensure the body functions well and remain well hydrated to avoid the appearance of nasty dark circles. Failure to consume enough water will lead to water retention and cause puffiness around the eyes.
Avoid Sun Exposure to Prevent Dark Circles – Sun rays are very harmful for sensitive skins and can cause melanin formation and dry out the sensitive layers of the skin. Always wear sunscreen before stepping out. Carry sun glasses or umbrella to protect your eyes from the UV rays.