In this article, we are discussing various home remedies for fleas infestation. These creepy, wingless insects known as fleas. They can give you with sleepless nights every day. Fleas love to live on warm vertebrates and thus your rabbits, dogs and cats. One reason for their irresistible presence in your house is the fact that the eggs of fleas can get fall down anywhere within your house. These eggs, then convert into larvae and then finally into fleas. What’s frustrating is that flea eggs can continue resting for over a year. That is the reason they come again and again from nowhere. That’s why you must watch your house regularly and clean your home often once you have killed the fleas. Here are some helpful home remedies for fleas with which you can not only destroy the fleas but can also direct their recurrence.
Best Home Remedies for Fleas Infestation (Get Rid of Fleas)
1. Flea Trap to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally
If you want to get rid of fleas fast, this is one of the easiest ways to kill and catch the ugly fleas. It is a flea trap. Dishwashing liquid is beneficial to treat fleas, to try this method, make your dog, bathe with this solution then you will be able to kill the fleas on its body. However, a flea trap will allow you to clean up your complete house of fleas.
You need: Dishwashing liquid, Bowls or Plates, Warm water, Tea candles.
Follow these steps:
- At night, take a plate or bowl and keep it in the middle of each rooms placing on the floor.
- Fill the plate or bowl with warm water. If using a plate, fill it to the brim and if using bowl then fill half.
- Now add a capful of dishwashing liquid to this water.
- Place a tea candle in the center of each bowl and plate inside it. If you are unable to place candles in the bowl, then keep it near the bowl.
- Now light the candles.
- Your work is finished here. Once the fleas get attracted towards the light. They will try to jump on the light and will get trapped in the soap solution. This way, fleas will get trapped and die.
- If your house is very infected with fleas, do this process for 3-4 nights.
2. Herbal Flea Spray to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
This is one of the best remedies to control fleas in your house or in pets. Have you ever thought of flea bomb full with chemicals to get rid of fleas from your house, you must think again once and give a shot to this herbal spray as a substitute. This homemade flea spray uses, such ingredients as witch hazel and lemon juice. They are totally safe for your kids and pets. Here’s the method for this herbal flea spray.
You need:, Lemon juice 500 ml, Vinegar- 4 liters Water, 1 Fresh vacuum bag, Witch hazel 250 ml, 1 Home and Garden Sprayer.
Follow these steps:
- You need to do the cleaning and then spray with the flea spray.
- Collect everything that cannot be cleared and wash it. This helps kill the eggs of fleas and larvae.
- Now clean properly. Clean each corner, stuffing as well as corners with the help of vacuum. Use the clean vacuum bag. This ensures free air flow. Waste that collects from earlier vacuuming may slow down smooth air flow.
- Now mix, water, vinegar, witch hazel and lemon juice.
- Fill this mix into the sprayer.
- Sprinkle using a heavy spray.
- Now, Spray your, furniture, carpet, pet bedding, floors, window sills, every corner of your house.
- Do this each day for at least 2-7 days, depends on the severity of flea infestation in your house.
- When fleas become less visible, you may then do again every 3-4 days and afterward once a week during the flea time of year.
- If you begin using this non toxic spray at the arrival of flu season, you will need to spray only one time a week during the flea season.
3. Salt Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally
It is one of the common ingredients to get rid of fleas in the house, cats, dogs and carpet. How does it happen? Salt becomes a drying agent for fleas that dry out the flea’s body. So, how to use this low-priced way to control fleas? Here’s what you need to do.
You need: Table salt amount depends on the size of the infested area, big spice bottle with a shaker top.
Follow these steps:
- Make sure you get a fine salt powder.
- Now, Fill up your spice bottle with salt, leaving some space on the top to shake and sprinkle salt.
- Start sprinkling the salt on your carpets in each room. The salt should cover all the area equally.
- Leave it 12 to 48 hours.
- After 1-2 days, vacuum carefully.
4. Boric Acid Remedy to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Boric acid also works same just like salt when it comes to killing fleas. It acts as a dehydrating agent which causes severe dryness in fleas due to which they are killed. Spray boric acid wherever you think there may be fleas, their eggs or larvae.
You can also make your own shaker by taking an empty bottle with plastic lid. If doing so, hold the lid with a sharp needle or a similar tool to make a small opening in it. Place some stones into the bottle to prevent blocking of boric acid when it is stored away. Now fill 2/3rd of this container with boric acid and your home-based shaker packed with boric acid is set! Make sure you label it in bold with ‘BORIC ACID’
Follow these steps:
- Fill your container with boric acid. Apply label rule here too. Anyone can catch boric acid for some look-alike kitchen item. So, label it as ‘Boric acid’ before using it.
- Vacuum the carpets etc. where you want to spray boric acid and take out all the objects like, toys, bags shoes, etc from the place.
- Sprinkle the boric acid powder in small and thin layers. For this, shake the bottle and apply a little on the carpet. Now take a soft and smooth brush and work the acid into the carpet pile. For stuffing, you can use a bigger brush or hand brush to fill small gaps. Remember, boric acid can fade cloths. So, check before you use this remedy. Don’t forget to spray below the furniture.
- Leave this solution for 12-48 hours.
- Now clean all the areas and surfaces, where you have used boric acid.
- Keep on cleaning regularly. As you have sprinkled the acid down into the upholstery and carpets, it will go on to kill the fleas.
- After a month or so, you can rinse your upholstery, carpets etc.
Precaution: Although boric acid is not that toxic for pets and human beings too, it should be used carefully when pets and kids are around. Keep it away from foods and also out of reach of kids. Don’t spray boric acid on counters, particularly in the kitchen where you make food.
5. Diatomaceous Earth to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
Brush off all your carpets and clean carefully. Rinse off everything that you cannot clean, try to wash with hot water. Now, wherever you feel their larvae or fleas might hide, spray the DE in thin layers. You can securely sprinkle DE on pet bedding and carpets etc.
- Keep the Diatomaceous earth for about 12-48 hours. While fleas start declining 4-6 hours after you treat your home with DE, it’s still good to leave the material for long.
- Now clean away all the powder and keep in mind to throw away the vacuum bag.
- You may even apply this Diatomaceous earth in your backyard, but this will require a huge quantity of powder.
Precaution: Always buy the best quality of DE. Diatomaceous earth is nontoxic, it is still a powder that may get irritated your throat or eyes. It is advice-able that to cover your face while working with any such fine powder. Don’t ever purchase DE for pool filtration systems as they are dangerous when breathed in. Diatomaceous Earth, however, is not so helpful in moist environments and also when it is wet. Use it in dry form only. Try to avoid coming in contact with DE especially the skin of your pets as this may lead to dehydration of their skin.