How to use home remedies to get rid of stretch marks? Stretch marks are ugly faded white lines that appear on the outer surface of the skin, as a result of extreme e stretching of the skin. The human skin is by default quite elastic in nature, however, when its stretched beyond its capacity the protein called collagen, which makes up the inter- connected tissues fail to produce, which results in stretch marks.
Stretch marks usually occur in the dermis region of the skin, where the blood vessel is eventually shown. This is why when stretch marks appear initially they are red or bright purple in color. Eventually the blood vessel contracts, giving way to the fat underneath the skin to show. The result is silvery white perpendicular lines.
Causes Of Stretch Marks:
Pregnancy – Pregnancy is one of the most common reasons of stretch marks. Generally 95% of women who undergo the pregnancy experience stretch marks, during the last tri-semester of their pregnancy. The marks become more prominent and permanent if the women have multiple pregnancies. The major reason for stretch marks, during pregnancy is due to a hormone, which makes the tissues in the pelvis region softer, to facilitate easy childbirth. The soft tissues, leads to softer skin, which is more prone to stretch marks.
Rapid weight Gain- When you gain weight rapidly, over a short period of time, your body does not get enough time to adapt, which results in ugly stretch marks. Even losing weight rapidly can be another reason behind stretch marks in the abdomen, thighs, shoulder and buttocks. It is necessary to loose or gain weight steadily over a period of time to avoid ugly stretch marks.
Genetics and Puberty- Strech are common among individuals, who tend to have a history of these marks among close family relatives. It also occurs in teenagers when the body rapidly grows, allowing the skin very little time to adapt itself to the changes.
Medications- Stretch marks can be caused by certain medicines which have a high amount of cortisol, which are used to treat certain skin conditions like eczema.
Home Remedies To Get Rid of Stretch Marks (Treat Stretch Marks)
Over the counter ointments are one of the most widely available and popular methods of removing stretch marks. However, they require the prolonged usage and are very expensive for many people to afford. Home remedies for stretch marks are an excellent way to treat stretch marks with simple ingredients in a conducive manner.
1.) Potato Juice To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
- Potato juice has a huge storage vitamin and minerals, used to restore skin cells.
- Take a large potato and cut it into thick slices.
- Take the slices and apply the juice on your stretch marks.
- Allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
Alternatively, you can blend the potato slices in a blender and extract the juice with the help of a strainer and apply the same on your abdomen is other regions affected by stretch marks.
2.) Sugar To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
- Sugar has an excellent capability to exfoliate your skin and return its natural glow and shine.
- Take a handful of cane sugar.
- Mix it with lemon juice and almond oil.
- Apply the mixture on your stretch marks, until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Repeat the process daily for a month, to notice visible changes.
3.) Aloe Vera To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Aloe- vera is known to have great sooting qualities, which is very essential for moisturizing and healing the skin. Aloe vera can be used in numerous ways, however the gel form is most widely used.
- Take aloe- vera leaf and slice it in two halves.
- Apply the gel from the leaves directly on your stretch marks.
- You can also use the commercially available gel, and mix it with the oil of vitamin E capsules.
- Mix the gel and the vitamin E oil and apply it on your skin, until it is absorbed completely.
4.) Lemon Juice To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Lemon juice has a natural acidic property, which makes it a good agent to remove any kind of skin infection, including stretch marks.
- Take a whole lemon and cut it into two equal halves.
- Squeeze the juice and apply it all over your stretch marks, until it is absorbed by your skin completely.
- You can mix the same amount of cucumber juice with lemon juice and apply it on your skin for better results.
- Allow your skin to soak up the juices, completely before rinsing it off with cold water.
5.) Castor Oil To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Castor oil is another vital oil, which helps to restore the natural collagen balance of the skin , thereby reducing problems like fine lines, wrinkles and stretch marks greatly.
- Take a spoonful of castor oil and apply it all over your stretch marks affected region of your body.
- Cover the area with a soft cotton cloth and apply some heat with the help of a hot bag or electric hot pad for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat the process for at least 2 months, to notice visible results.
6.) Egg Whites To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Egg whites are an important source of protein, which will help to replenish the lost elasticity of the skin.
- Take two large eggs and separate the whites from the yolk.
- Beat the white to form into a foamy consistency.
- Apply this egg white mixture on your stretch marks with the help of a clean cloth.
- Apply multiple layers of additional benefits.
- Allow the mixture of egg whites to dry before washing it off with cold water.
- Apply some olive oil to the area for moisturization.
- Repeat the process for at least thrice a week for positive results.
7.) Apricot Paste Mask To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Apricot is a wonderful ingredient and helps to remove the stretch marks rapidly.
- Take an apricot fruit and de-seed it.
- Crush the fruit in a mixer and make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your stretch marks and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes, wash the mask off with cold water.
- Repeat this process daily for visible and better results.
8.) Shea Butter and Coca Butter Therapy To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Shea butter and cocoa butter have been used since time immemorial in Africa and in many asian countries to soften the skin, the emollient properties of these two ingredients penetrates deep inside the skin and helps the skin the skin to absorb them easily.
- Measure and take 2 tablespoon each of cocoa butter and Shea butter.
- To heat them together till they melt.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Vitamin E oil to the mixture and mix well.
- The mixture will harden into a gel like consistency once it cools down.
- Remove it into a container and refrigerate it.
- Apply this mixture on your stretch marks twice daily for visible results.
9.) Alfalfa To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Alfalfa has a high concentration of vitamin K and vitamin E. Both these vitamins are known as very good skin toners.
- Measure and take two tablespoons of Alfalfa powder.
- To this powder, add a few drops of chamomile oil.
- Mix them well, till they reach a paste like consistency.
- Apply the alfalfa paste on your stretch marks and allow it to sit for 20-25 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat the process daily for a month for faster results.
10.) Apple Cider Vinegar To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Apple cider vinegar like Aloe-Vera works wonders for the skin. The process of using it is also relatively simple and hassle free.
- Take a spray bottle and fill it with Apple cider vinegar.
- Apply the vinegar on your stretch marks every day before going to bed.
- Wash yourself properly the next morning and apply a good quality moisturizer.
- Soon you will notice the stretch marks fading away.
11.) Oats Scrub To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
- Oats have excellent exfoliating properties.
- Take a handful of oats.
- Apply water on your stretch marks and gently scrub the area using the oats.
- Use circular motion to scrub the area, so that the upper layer of dead skin cells is removed.
- After your bath, apply a good quality moisturizer to the area.
- Repeat this process every day for blemish free skin tone.
12.) Coffee Scrub To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Coffee is a great exfoliator and is known for it’s anti-oxidant qualities. When combined with Vitamin E oil, it can work wonders for the skin.
- Take a spoonful of fresh grounded coffee beans.
- Add a few drops of vitamin oil and form a paste.
- Apply this paste over your stretch marks and allow the mask to rest overnight.
- If possible, cover the area with a cotton cloth.
- In the morning wash the coffee paste with cold water.
- You will notice a visible change in your stretch marks within one week after application.
13.) Essential Oil Massage To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
One of the most easy and effective ways to combat stretch marks is to Massage the area using Essential oils. Some of the most popular essential oil is rose, lavender, sandal and chamomile. Use any of these oils in combination with any other carrier oil like coconut or almond for a healthier skin tone.
14.) Honey Scrub To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
- Mixing honey, sugar and olive oil will give great results when used regularly.
- Take a teaspoon of honey.
- Add equal quantities of olive oil and sugar into it
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Rub this mixture over your marks and leave it on for a few minutes.
- Wash it off with hot water and apply a good quality moisturizer.
15.) Water To Get Rid of Stretch Marks
Last but not the least, consume enough water to keep your skin hydrated . Water is one of the most essential ingredient, which can keep the skin hydrated and reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water to ensure that the elasticity of the skin is maintained.
How to Prevent Stretch Marks?
Appearance of ugly stretch marks can be prevented, if a little care is taken to ensure that our skin is well hydrated receive it is share of moisture.
Lotions, creams and ointments- Using lotions, creams and ointments like Vaseline and other commercially available creams will help to keep the skin around the high fat regions of our body elastic and less susceptible to stretch marks.
Vitamin C – during pregnancy the body suffers from a deficiency of Vitamin C, which should be supplemented orally. You can consume foods rich in vitamin C like leafy greens, citrus fruits, papaya, etc. Alternatively, you can also take vitamin C in the form of pills. Regular intake of Vitamin C will help to reduce the occurrence of stretch marks greatly.
Oil massage – Oil massage is one of the best ways to get rid of stretch marks. You can blend aloe- Vera gel with olive oil and apply it on your abdomen and other areas affected by the stretch marks. In case you are pregnant and want to avoid the stretch marks after delivery make use of egg oil massages after the eight weeks of pregnancy. Egg oil massages can help to keep your skin moisturized and maintain the elasticity, which is very essential for removing stretch marks.
Water and physical exercise- Keep your body hydrated. It is essential for the de-toxification of the body. Drink at least 10 glasses of water every day for this purpose. Engage in physical exercises. As you lose weight gradually over a period of time, you will notice a significant fading away of your stretch marks. There are various types of exercises targeted to reduce the stretch marks, around the specific areas of your body. Practising yoga as this will enhance your flexibility and help your skin to heal faster.
Avoid chemicals- If you have pregnant, then avoided any type of chemical ointment, which might seep through the skin ad cause harm to the baby. Instead, stick to homely remedies and keep your skin moisturized. Avoid scratching the marks, which will most likely make them more inflamed and cause further irritation and make them prominient.
If you are not happy with the natural remedies, then you can always opt for cosmetic surgery or any other type of laser treatment, which can drill a hole in your pocket. No matter what you do, it is important that you learn to embrace your body and love it under any circumstances. Learn to acknowledge the fact that stretch marks are a normal phenomenon, which almost every living individual experiences. Being irritated and worried about the marks, will only make things more complicated instead of focusing on the solution.