How to use natural sore throat remedies to get rid of a sore throat? The sore throat is a typical problem of the throat, characterized by inflammation, irritation and an itchy feeling. The soreness can result in a dry throat, and swollen glands and tonsil problem. A person, suffering from sore throat symptoms is likely to experience, problems related to swallowing foods and liquids. The problem of sore throat is not confined to any particular group of people. It can affect anyone irrespective of age. However, elderly people and children are not prone to get the virus, due to a weakened immune system. Smokers and people who tend to have allergy related problem, in the colder months are more prone to be sufferers of sore throat infection.
Causes Of Sore Throat:
Sore throat is caused by various reasons. Usually they are environmental. Sometimes the problem occurs.
Viral Infection – Viral infection is the most common and most frequent reason behind the sore throat problem. Among all the viral infection, common cold is the most common problem, which attacks almost 2/3 of the sufferers. Then there is another type of infectious disease known as mononucleosis, which is transmitted through the saliva of two people. Measles is a more severe form of viral infection, which causes fever, associated with fever and general weakness. Sore throat is also a symptom of influenza and mumps. An infection in the larynx, known as laryngitis is also a big reason behind sore throat. Lastly severe viral infection like chicken pox also leads to a sore throat problem, along with other immunity related problems.
Bacterial infection- Even though sore throat is regarded as the main reason behind sore throat, bacterial infection is also a well known culprit behind problems related to a sore throat. Bacterial infection results in strep throat, which results in inflammation. It is typically characterized by congestion or cough. A bacterial infection of the mucous membrane leads to whooping cough.
Environmental Factors. – There are numerous environmental factors that leads to sore throat problems, like excessive cold weather, allergic reaction to pollen or dander can also act as a trigger. Accumulation of mucus in the lungs can also lead to sore throat problems. Smoking is another big reason, which can lead to sore throat. It can cause irritation and make the throat feel raw and scratchy. Lastly a temporary sore throat can happen, if a person, happens to shout or yell too much or strain his voice for a long period of time.
Natural Sore Throat Remedies to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Sore throat is not a serious problem, In most cases, it can be cured by the use of simple home remedies, Sore throat is generally characterized by an earache, a lump in the throat, a horse voice, rashes. On the fag end of the throat and often a difficulty in breathing.
1.) Hot Water Gargle with Salt to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Hot water gargle with salt is one of the most widely used and popular methods for treating sore throat. The primary function of this gargle is to kill the harmful germs in the hot water, and to draw out the excess water and mucus from the lungs, thereby shrinking the inflamed cells and reducing the pain.
- Take a glass of water and microwave it for one minute.
- Add a teaspoon of salt and mix well.
- Use this water to gargle at least twice in a day to experience relief from the pain.
- Don’t overuse this method, as this may result in drying of the healthy tissues .
- In case you don’t have salt handy, you can use baking soda for similar effects.
2.) Lemon and Honey Mixture to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Honey as we all know is infused with high amount of anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antiseptic qualities. Lemon on the other hand has a soothing property, which can calm the inflamed muscles of the throat.
- Add a teaspoon of honey in a glass of water.
- Don’t stir the honey and allow it to melt normally.
- Microwave this water for one minute, until it is sufficiently warm.
- Add some lemon juice and drink it.
- Instead of water, you can use alcohol like brandy, which can help you to fall asleep.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar and Water to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Apple cider vinegar has qualities similar to garlic and is very helpful in treating inflammation and minor bacterial or viral infections.
- Take a spoonful of apple cider vinegar.
- Add a spoon of honey.
- Pour a glass of warm water into the two ingredients
- Mix them well and drink it off.
- In case you don’t want to drink apple cider vinegar, you can mix half a cup of apple cider vinegar with half a cup of water and use it to gargle.
- The effects are likely to be similar.
4.) Marshmallow Roots to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Marshmallow roots are very popular in many parts of Europe and Africa for treating cold and flu symptoms, as well as provide relief from sore throats. Caution should be exercised while adopting this remedy as marshmallow roots can reduce the blood sugar level dangerously below the normal level.
- Take half a teaspoon of marshmallow roots.
- Pour some boiling water and let the roots, steep in that water for a few minutes.
- Strain the liquid and drink the water.
5.) Slippery Elm to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Slippery elm, is also very similar to marshmallow root. It helps to coat the mucus membrane of the throat gently and reduce the irritation caused by the rashes. The procedure of preparing is also quite similar to slippery elm.
- Take a spoonful of slippery elm extract.
- Bring a cup of water to boil and add the extract.
- Turn off the heat completely and allow it to steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the liquid and drink it.
6.) Horehound to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Horehound is a common herb, found in many parts of north and south America. It helps to thin the mucus of your throat, thereby making it easy for you to breath. It also reduces the inflammation of the throat and provides a soothing feeling.
- Take a few strands of horehound.
- Dip it in a glass of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the water and drink it.
7.) Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Sore Throat
This is one of the not so famous and unusual remedies adopted by people for treating sore throat. The pepper, will help reduce the inflammation and fight the infection, thereby help to reduce the pain.
- Add a few flakes of red hot pepper to warm water.
- Use this water to gargle at least twice in a day.
- Hot sauce can also be used instead of cayenne pepper.
- This process will cause a burning sensation, but will surely provide effective relief from a sore throat.
8.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Turmeric is believed to have a lot of anti-bacterial properties and can fight a lot of problems. A gargle using turmeric and salt water, will bring in faster results, then just a simple salt water gargle.
- Take a glass of warm water.
- Add half teaspoon of turmeric in it.
- Add another teaspoon of salt.
- Stir the solution well and use it to gargle for twice in a day.
9.) Wheatgrass to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Wheatgrass is a very simple ingredient, which can be grown in the backyard and has numerous beneficial qualities. Wheatgrass is a storehouse of chlorophyll, different types of minerals and vitamins that can help to boost the immune system.
- Take a bunch of wheatgrass and wash it under running water.
- Blend it in a blender using some water.
- Strain the liquid.
- Use this juice as a mouthwash or gargle with the juice.
- This juice will not only soothe your sore throat, but also provide relief from gum and teeth problems.
10.) Clove to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Clove is traditionally used as a painkiller and various dental problems. It has a high amount of Anthelmintic properties, which makes it an excellent agent to fight different kind of germs and bacteria. Using a clove tea for gargling, will help to reduce the pain of sore throat greatly.
- Take a glass of water and allow it to boil.
- Add a few pieces of cloves to this water.
- Let the cloves steep in low heat.
- Turn off the heat and allow the use the water to gargle.
- Use this water to gargle at least twice in a day to get relief from sore throat pain.
11.) Vitamin C to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Vitamin C helps to strengthen the natural immune system of the body, making it more efficient to fight bacteria and germs. Try to consume foods that are rich in vitamin C like Brussels sprouts, avocado, broccoli etc.
12.) Garlic to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Garlic is another plant, which has a high amount of sulpher and antimicrobial properties, which can kill the germs in the throat. Suck on a piece of garlic and you will notice a significant difference in your condition. Even though its not a very great option, as garlic tends to leave a very foul smell in the mouth, still it is a very good cure for sore throat.
13.) Ginger Tea to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Ginger traditionally has been used in cold climates to counter the effects of cold. It helps to increase the oxidization of the cells, reduces the toxin build up, and reduce the mucus formation in the throat.
- Take a ginger root and slice it into small parts.
- Smash the pieces using a mortar and pestle
- Add these pieces into a cup of water and allow it to boil for a few minutes.
- Once the heat is turned off, strain the solution.
- Add some honey and enjoy the drink, once it comes to room temperature.
Other Useful Tips To Prevent Sore Throat:
Almost everyone suffers from a sore throat problem at some point of time during our life. No matter how common their occurrence might be, there is always a way to avoid a sore throat.
Opt for food and drinks at room temperature – You might be very fond of ice tea or cold water, but chances are high that extremely cold water will only increase the irritation in your throat. Similarly drink hot tea or coffee might sound very helpful, but gulping down too hot a drink, might burn the inner lining of your throat and increase the pain. Sticking to food and drink is, therefore, regarded as the best way to fight a sore throat problem.
Avoid milk- Milk is naturally blessed with many vitamins and minerals, but on the downside, it is definitely not a very good drink to be consumed when a person is suffering from sore throat. It will tends to coat the membrane of the throat, which already has a lot of mucus build up, thereby worsening the problem. Stay away from milk and drink herbal tea instead.
Maintain hygiene- Whenever you are near people who seem to be having whooping cough or flu, cover your face, don’t share food from the same plate and remember to wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer before taking any meals.
Drink Water- Water is essential for the body. Keep yourself hydrated, so that germs don’t get a chance to breed in your body.
Avoid smoking- avoid smoking. Smoking increases the irritation and gives rise to rashes in the inner lining of the throat. The smoke from cigarettes contains many harmful toxic chemicals which tend to make a throat sore. Indirect smoking is as harmful as direct smoking. Stay away from indirect smoking and avoid all kinds of fumes.
Use a humidifier – a humidifier can help to increase the overall humidity of the room, which can be very helpful, if you are experiencing a soreness or dryness in the throat.
Lozenge – over the counter lozenges have menthol added into them, which can provide a soothing sensation to the sore throat and provide a temporary relief. Also, it has been found that zinc lozenges tend to provide faster relief to the sore throat problem. Though no scientific evidence has been established behind the reason behind this relief.
Sore throat is not a disease, but often a trigger to some deeper underlying problem, that might be present in the body. In some extreme cases, sore throat might be an indication to cancer or HIV. If the problem of sore throat continues for more than two weeks, in spite of using all the well known home remedies, then a the patient should seek the help of a doctor without delay.