Here we will discuss about different home remedies for sinus infection treatment. A sinus infection generally occurs because of a virus. However, it can also be caused due to a fungi or bacteria. It is usually triggered by a cold which causes inflammation and swelling of the sinuses. This leads to an accumulation of mucus, thus jamming the sinuses. Sinus is a cavity, air-filled sac located behind the forehead and cheekbones. When it gets filled with fluid, it attracts germs giving rise to infection.
- A deviated septum
- Nasal polyps
- Exposure to pollutants
- Tissue irritants such as over-the-counter nasal sprays, cocaine, cigarette smoke etc.
- Facial tenderness
- Pain or pressure
- Nasal stuffiness
- Sore Throat
- Discolored nasal discharge
- Increased sensitivity or a headache when leaning forward.
To relieve the symptoms of a sinus infection, you can use some easy natural home remedies. Also, you can consult your doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Home Remedies for Sinus Infection Treatment
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Sinus Infection
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is known to have antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-inflammatory qualities which help cure sinus infections. Taking ACV in the starting of colds, allergies or flu will help prevent a sinus infection fast. Here is the method.
- Take 2 tsp of ACV.
- Add it to a cup of warm water.
- Add 1 tsp of honey in it.
- Drink this mixture 3 times a day for 5 days.
2.) Garlic as a Remedy for Sinus Infection
Garlic is a natural antibiotic. It helps get rid of sinus infections caused due to viruses and bacteria. It is very beneficial and effective for different symptoms of sinus infection. Garlic also have antifungal properties. Here is the method.
- Take 2 or 3 garlic cloves chop them finely.
- Add them in a pot of boiling water.
- Inhale the steam of this garlic-infused water for several minutes.
- Repeat it a few times regularly until you get relief.
- You can also chew 2 to 3 fresh garlic cloves daily.
3.) Nasal Irrigation as a Remedy for Sinus Infection Treatment
Nasal irrigation is quite beneficial for sinus infection treatment. It helps in clearing out mucus and other debris present in your sinuses. Plus, it keeps them moist and germ free. Here is the method.
- Add 1 tsp of sea salt and ½ tsp of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of warm water.
- With the help of a bulb syringe, use the solution for nasal irrigation.
- Repeat this once a day for several days to get relief from infections.
- Remember, do not use this more often. It may irritate your mucous membranes.
4.) Ginger as a Natural Remedy for Sinus Infection Treatment
Ginger is known to have fine antibiotic, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory qualities. Ginger help prevent sinus infections naturally. Ginger also has some polyohenols that help prevent the secretion of mucus. Ginger is one of the finest home remedies for sinus infection.
- Take a ginger and cut its 2 inch piece of fresh ginger root into several slices.
- Add the slices in one cup of water and boil it over low heat for 10 minutes.
- After that, strain the solution. Mix some honey and lemon juice in it.
- Drink this tea several times a day for about a week or until your condition improves.
5.) Horseradish to Treat Sinus Infection
Horseradish is another one of the very effective home remedies for sinus infections. It helps remove mucus from your nasal passages. It also has high levels of sulfur. Plus it works as a natural antibiotic to treat infection.
- Keep a pinch of freshly grated horseradish in your mouth.
- Keep it in your mouth until its flavor dissolves. Then swallow it.
- Repeat it several times a day for a week or until the infection disappears.
6.) Turmeric for Sinus Infection Treatment
Turmeric is very popular for its antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties. It helps cure sinus infections and congestion naturally. This herb has an active compound known as curcumin. It helps heal the swelling in your sinus cavity. It clear the air passage. It is one of the best home remedies for sinus infection.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to a glass of warm water and mix it well.
- Gargle with this solution several times a day for several days.
- Optionally, you can also add 1 tsp of turmeric powder in a glass of hot milk and drink it.
- Add a little honey if you want.
- Drink it regularly for about a week or until the infection is cured.
7.) Oregano Oil to Get Rid of Sinus Infection
This oregano essential oil has excellent antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. Also, being an anti-inflammatory agent, oregano oil helps lower inflammation. It also works as an excellent antioxidant and immune-booster.
- Pour a couple of drops of oregano oil in ½ cup of boiling water.
- Inhale the steam of this solution to clear your congestion. It will help clear your sinuses.
- Do this regularly until the infection is cured.
- Optionally, take 2 or 3 drops of oregano oil and mix in a glass of water.
- Drink the mixture 2 times daily until the infection disappears.
8.) Cayenne Pepper to Treat Sinus Infection Naturally
Cayenne pepper is one of the most effective home remedies to open up and drain the sinuses naturally. Plus, it helps enhance immunity, lowers inflammation and swelling, and boosts circulation. Here is the method.
- Take 1 tsp of cayenne pepper and mix it in a cup of hot water.
- Drink it 2 or 3 times a day regularly.
- Other than that, you can consume a mixture of 1 tsp each of honey and cayenne pepper several times a day.
- Use either of these home remedies for several days or until you see your condition improving.
9.) Steam to Treat Sinus Infection
Breathing in steam can also help clear sinuses and relieve nasal congestion. Also, a warm compress will help lower sinus pressure and headaches. It is among the best home remedies for sinus infection. Here is the method.
- Take a hot shower and breathe in the steam vapors for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Do this regularly for several days until the infection is cured.
- Other than that, you can also keep a wet, warm towel on the face for several minutes, a few times a day to help get rid of sinus pressure.
10.) Onion for Sinus Infection Treatment
Onion is one of the most excellent remedies for sinus infection. It has great decongestants properties to clear your sinuses. Plus, onion has sulfur compounds which help eliminate fungi and bacteria. Here is the method.
- Take an onion. Chop it into small pieces.
- Put these pieces in a pot of water.
- Boil it for 5 minutes.
- Then inhale the vapors of the mixture for several minutes.
- After that, strain the solution and drink it.
- Continue this remedy for several times a day for a week or until the condition improve .