In this article, we will discuss the causes of white tongue and few home remedies for white tongue treatment. Bad breath is something that everyone hates. Bad breath is the main symptom of white coated tongue. Having white patches or spots on the tongue is the result of white tongue. This article is about best home remedies for white tongue. The tongue is the strongest muscle in the body. The tongue helps us swallow, taste food and talk. Pink color of tongue is the sign of healthy tongue. White coated tongue is one of the common oral problems among all ages. A thin layer or white coating on the tongue cause bacteria and bad mouth odor that can be harmful for your teeth.
White tongue occurs when bacteria, food debris and dead cells coating it. There are some common factors that can lead to white tongue such as alcohol, smoking, medications and dehydration. The white layer on the tongue also forms due to sticky drinks, foods and artificial sweetener like bubble gums and candies. One of the most important thing is that you need to maintain oral hygiene to get rid of white tongue. Cleaning your tongue with a toothbrush and tongue cleaner is one the best way to treat white coated tongue. The white coated tongue can be cured easily by following some home remedies and natural remedies.
Causes of White Tongue:
- Environmental irritants
- Illness or infection
- Poor oral hygiene
- Reaction to certain medications
- Tongue inflammation
Home Remedies for White Tongue Treatment:
There are many home remedies and natural remedies that will help to remove the white coating and keep your mouth healthy.
1.) Aloe Vera Juice to Get Rid of White Tongue Naturally
The healing properties and anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera juice can help to treat problems. Aloe vera juice is an antimicrobial that kills bacteria that causes bad breath and white tongue as well.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera Juice to Treat White Tongue Naturally:
- Take 1 tbsp of aloe vera juice and put it in your mouth.
- Swish aloe vera juice in your mouth and spit it out.
- Then drink 1 tbsp of aloe vera juice.
- Repeat this home remedy few times a day for two weeks for effective results.
2.) Salt to Treat White Coated Tongue Fast
Salt is one of the best home remedies to clean white tongue. Salt helps to remove dead cells and debris due to its coarse nature that acts as a natural tongue scraper. Salt also contains antiseptic property that helps to kill bacteria that causes bad breath.
Steps to Use Salt to Cure White Coated Tongue:
- Take some salt and sprinkle it on your white tongue.
- Use a toothbrush to scrub it gently for a minute.
- Then, wash your mouth with warm water thoroughly.
- Repeat this process 2 times daily to get better results in a week.
- Alternatively, take 1 tsp of salt and mix it in a glass of warm water. Gargle with salt water and then spit it out.
3.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Rid of White Tongue Fast
Hydrogen peroxide is very popular to kill bacteria, which is accumulated on the tongue due to its strong antibacterial property. Hydrogen peroxide also makes your teeth white and treat white coated tongue. It is recommended to use three percent of hydrogen peroxide solution.
Steps to Use Hydrogen Peroxide:
- Take 2 parts of water and 1 part of hydrogen peroxide. Mix them properly.
- Use a soft toothbrush and dip it in this mixture.
- Gently rub this mixture on your tongue.
- Spit this solution and rinse your mouth with water thoroughly.
- Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times daily for effective results.
4.) Probiotics to Cure White Coated Tongue Fast
Probiotics are one of the best home remedies for white tongue which is caused by the growth of bacteria and candida fungus. Probiotics contain an antibacterial compound that helps to control the growth of fungi and bacteria in the mouth.
Steps to Use Probiotics:
- Add the powder of one probiotic capsule in a little water. Brush your teeth and use this solution for mouthwash, swallowing and swishing. Then drink some water. Repeat this home remedy once in a week to get rid of bad breath.
- You can also include yogurt with live cultures in your meal.
- Alternatively, take probiotic supplements 3 times a day.
5.) Oil Pulling to Clean White Coated Tongue Naturally
Oil pulling is an excellent way to treat white coated tongue. Oil pulling helps to remove the yeast from oral thrush and remove the toxins from the body.
Steps to Use Oil Pulling:
- Put one tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil in your mouth, before brushing your teeth.
- Swish it between your teeth and under the tongue.
- Do this home remedy for 15 minutes.
- Spit out the oil and use warm water to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this remedy daily for overall oral health.
- Instead of using coconut oil, you can use sesame oil.
- Don’t swallow or gargle the oil.
6.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of White Tongue Fast and Naturally
Baking soda is one of the best home remedies for white tongue. It helps to remove the white layer from the tongue. Baking soda helps to get rid of residue sticking to the tongue due to its exfoliating nature. It also maintains the pH levels by neutralizing acids.
Steps to Use Baking Soda:
- Take little baking soda and lemon juice and mix it well to form a paste.
- Use toothbrush to brush your tongue with this paste.
- Rinse your mouth with this water.
- Do this process daily until you get the best results.
- Another method, you can also mix half tsp of baking soda in a glass of water. Use this solution for mouth rinse twice daily to treat bad breath and white tongue.
7.) Turmeric to Treat White Coated Tongue Naturally
Turmeric is the effective home remedy for white tongue. It prevents the growth of bacteria on the tongue due to its powerful antibacterial properties.
Steps to Use Turmeric:
- Take a half tsp of turmeric powder and lemon juice. Mix both the ingredients to make a paste. Rub this turmeric paste on your white coated tongue for a few minutes. Then, use warm water to rinse your mouth properly. Do this remedy for some days.
- You can also add half tsp of turmeric powder to a glass of water. Gargle with this turmeric solution two times a day for healthy tongue.
8.) Indian Lila or Neem to Prevent White Coated Tongue
Indian lilac also called as Neem, that is effectively used to treat a white coated tongue. Neem can clear bacteria, fungus and yeast from your mouth due to its antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is also acts as a blood purifier that will help to remove toxins from the body.
Steps to Use Neem:
- Add one tbsp of dried neem to a cup of water.
- Now boil the water, until it reduced to half.
- Let it cool and then gargle with this neem water.
- Wash your mouth with this warm water.
- Repeat this remedy two times a day until you get the effective results.
9.) Colloidal Silver to Get Rid of White Coated Tongue
The overgrowth of yeast in the mouth can lead to white coated tongue. It can be treated by using colloidal silver. It is safe for natural use due to its antifungal, antimicrobial and antibiotic properties. It can also eliminate bad breath.
Steps to Use Colloidal Silver:
- Take an equal amount of water and colloidal silver and mix it well.
- Swish this solution in your mouth for 5 minutes.
- Spit this solution and wash your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat this remedy for 2 to 3 times a day for some days.
10.) Vegetable Glycerine to Clean White Tongue Fast
Vegetable glycerine is one of the effective home remedy for treating white coated tongue. It can help to get rid of bad breath. It is easily available in the market.
Steps to Use Vegetable Glycerine:
- Put some vegetable glycerine on your tongue.
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush to brush your tongue.
- Use warm water to rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times a day until your tongue turns into pink color.
Additional Tips for White Tongue:
- Drink plenty of water to keep your tongue clean and prevent the food accumulated on the tongue’s surface.
- After having meals, gargle with warm water regularly.
- Brush your tongue daily to maintain oral health.
- Use a tongue scraper to remove the white coating from the tongue.
- Don’t smoke and use tobacco products that can leave a coating.
- Avoid alcohol, sugary foods and dairy products that coat the tongue.
- Eat crunchy vegetables and fruits like carrots, apples, guavas, strawberries and others to clean white coated tongue naturally.