In this article, we are discussing several homemade fruit fly trap to get rid of fruit flies. This is a common among several homeowners, you too could be experiencing lots of difficulty due to the fruit fly threat. Fruit flies are small insects, which are seen in your kitchen hanging over foods that are not stored in the refrigerator and left outside. As their life cycle is about 10 ten days, they increase very fast. The fruit flies proliferate in places having moisture like the garbage disposal drains.
The only thing that bothers to you now is to get rid of these fruit flies. They flourish in damp and moist places such as garbage/sink disposal drains. These pests are more fascinated towards fruits and fermenting or rotting foods. To get rid of these ugly little buggers, try homemade fruit fly traps & methods explained in this article.
How to Trap Fruit Flies?
Trapping the fruit flies is a main problem, considering the trouble caused by these pests. Regardless of their short life cycle, the fruit fly threat can easily be stopped with a planned strategy. And, an extremely essential element of this plan is to use the right fruit fly trap.
Top Homemade Fruit Fly Trap to Get Rid of Fruit Flies:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Dish Soap
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of fruit flies with apple cider vinegar. Once you try this trap, it won’t take much time to get rid of these insects. Try this as soon as possible.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dish soap
- Take one cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Warm apple cider vinegar.
- Now put the warm apple cider vinegar in the container.
- Take 1 tsp of dish soap liquid and add it in the container.
- The dish soap reacts with the liquid’s surface tension and thus make sure that once the flies comes, they don’t fly back.
- Now, take 1 cone and put it in the container or jar. This grant them easy passage into the homemade fruit fly trap where they get drowned and trapped. You can also put a piece of ripe banana to catch fruit flies easily.
2. Homemade Fruit Fly Trap with a Plastic Wrap
Here is another tremendous fruit fly trap that will make all the flies vanish from your home. Hence, do not postpone the treatment. Follow the steps to trap fruit flies.
- 1 Bottle
- 1 Plastic wrap
- ½ Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Rubber band
- Take one bottle and remove the cap.
- Add ½ tsp of ACV in this bottle.
- Close the bottle with a plastic cover.
- Close the wrap by using a rubber band.
- Now make a small hole or gap on the wrap to allow the flies enter into the trap. The aroma of the vinegar is alluring for these insects.
- Once the fruit fly enters in the bottle, they cannot come out again.
3. Red Wine Fruit Fly Trap
If you are upset about the right method to get rid of the fruit flies issue. This homemade trap will free you from ugly fruit flies. Just like ACV, red wine also attracts the flies with its smell. Continue to know the process.
- 1 Bottle
- ½ Red wine
- Take a bottle with a thin neck.
- Add ½ cup of red wine to the bottle.
- Let the bottle open.
- The odor of red vine will attract the flies.
- Once the flies enters to the bottle, the narrow neck will stop them coming out again.
- This remedy is very helpful for controlling fruit flies in the house or kitchen.
4. Milk, Raw Sugar and Ground Pepper
This trap is a great remedy to get rid of fruit flies. In fact, this treatment has been successful for more than the past 150 years and is thus a tested and tried one. Try this trap and the fruit flies will start to disappear.
- 1 Glass of Milk
- 1 Cup of raw sugar
- ½ Cup of Ground pepper
- 1 Bowl
- Take 1 glass of raw sugar, milk and ½ cup of ground pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Heat them simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Put this solution into a bowl. Your homemade fruit fly trap is ready to use.
- This fruit fly trap will help catch the flies. The mixture chokes the insects soon as they reach for the solution.
- Try this method for a week to treat fruit flies fast.
5. Paper Cone Fruit Fly Trap
This homemade fruit fly trap is a positive way to be control them. Once you try this trap, very soon you will be surprised how fast the fruit flies will vanish from your home.
- 2-3 Rotten fruits
- 1 Glass jar
- 1 Paper piece
- Take 2-3 rotten fruits like banana or grapes. You can use any provoking fruit of your choice.
- Put the fruit in a glass container.
- Now, take a paper and fold it in a shape of a cone.
- Keep the opening of the cone as lower part and make sure the lower part should be very small.
- Place this cone in the jar. Cover all the sides of jar with this cone leaving no space at the sides.
- The smell of the rotten fruits will catch flies in the jar and the contracted shape of a cone will help them hold inside the jar.
6. Fruit Fly Trap of Balsamic Vinegar and Vodka
Is your kitchen infested with fruit flies? Are you for a looking for some simple trap to fight against these pests? Well, this homemade trap for fruit flies will help you get rid of them fast and naturally. Just try this in your kitchen and you will not be let down by the result.
- Cup Balsamic vinegar
- ½ CupVodka
- 1 Disposable container
- 1 Plastic wrap
- Take ½ cup of balsamic vinegar and ½ cup of vodka in a disposable container.
- Now, close the container with a plastic cover.
- Close the cover tightly with the help of a rubber band.
- Then make small holes in the cover.
- The homemade fruit fly trap is all set for use.
- The aroma of the mixture attracts the flies.
- Once they enter into the trap, they will be unable fly out due to small holes in the cover.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar and Sugar
If you are looking answers for how to make a fruit fly trap, do not pay attention to this valuable method. Once you start using this trap, within a short time you will see positive results. You will be surprised with the efficiency of the trap!
- 1 Glass Water
- ½ Cup Apple cider vinegar-
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Dishwashing liquid
- Take a glass of water and warm it.
- Add 2 tsp of sugar in the water and let it dissolve completely.
- Now add ½ cup of dish washing liquid and 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar.
- Again Mix well all the ingredients.
- The fruit fly trap is ready to eliminate the pests.
- Keep this trap in your kitchen next to the foods to get rid of fruit flies fast and naturally.
8. Yeast Fruit Fly Trap
Yes, it is a trap with yeast. It also helps you get rid of fruit flies. Try this method for effective results. You will surely be happy with the result!
- ½ Glass Warm water
- 2 tsp Sugar
- ½ cup Active dry yeast
- 1 Long Plastic wrap
- To try this method, take ½ glass of warm water and add a tsp of sugar in a glass.
- Mix the sugar well in the water.
- Now put ½ active dry yeast to the mixture.
- Once again blend properly.
- Then cover the glass with plastic.
- Make some small holes on the cover to allow the flies to go in.
- Your homemade fruit fly trap is ready to use.
Additional Useful Tips to Get Rid of Fruit Flies:
- Before you start using fruit fly traps, you need to clean the breeding place of the fruit flies.
- After that, you can focus on eliminating and trapping the flies.
- Avoid keeping rotten vegetables and fruits in your kitchen.
- Make sure to reuse used bottles, cans, etc., to stop the entry of the pests into your home.
- Keep your bins always clean and dry.
- Clean your kitchen regularly.
- Clean the dishes as soon as possible.
- Use trap at night as they are more active at nights.
- Get your drainage/plumbing related issues fixed as soon as possible.
- Try using these traps when you feel fruit flies in the house to avoid pests.
- Keep your jars and other containers tight properly.
- Do not keep food outside.