If you are having a flea problem then you need to kill fleas. Fleas are small parasites that feed on humans and warm blooded animals. Fleas come into the home through pets or other mammal hosts and make your life unbearable. The eggs of the fleas can get dropped anywhere in your house. These eggs turn into larvae and then into fleas. Fleas carry diseases that will affect your health and also pet’s health. Fleas don’t fly and are wingless. Fleas can create problem inside your house. Fleas and their eggs hide in the fibers of carpetting, furniture and even in your pet’s bed. There are several methods to kill fleas such as home remedies, pest control methods or you can call a professional. This article will provide you some useful tips to get rid of fleas.
Diseases Caused by Fleas:
- Flea Tapeworm- This type of disease can be transmitted when children eat an infected flea or contact infected feces.
- Bartonellosis- This type of disease occur when oriental cat flea and rat flea may transmit cat scratch disease.
- Plague- This type of disease can be transmitted by the oriental rat flea.
- Tungiasis- This type of ailment is caused by the chigoe flea when it burrows into the skin and sucks the blood.
- Flea-Borne Typhus- This type of ailment is transmitted by the fleas when they bite you or from scratching the area of the bite.
Signs of Flea Infestation:
- Observe your pet’s behaviour, if your pet is scratching too much then you should examine your pet’s fur. Infested animals have rashes on their skin and may lose hair.
- People may also experience flea bites which leave behind itchy marks.
- You can also find flea dirt which looks like black pepper which can be seen in carpets, rugs, pet beds and other areas.
Best Methods to Kill Fleas:
1.) Vacuum to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally
Using vacuum is one of the best methods for treating flea infestations. Vacuum over the affected areas especially where the pets usually roam.
- The average vacuum is good for fleas. Don’t go for high-powered and super suction vacuums.
- Put moth flakes down on the carpet and vacuum the carpet. This will help to kill fleas.
- Vacuum your house 2 times a day for 2 weeks.
- After vacuum, discard the vacuum up.
2.) Pest Control Products to Kill Fleas Fast
There are several products that will help you to get rid of fleas. These products are fleabusters Rx, Precor IGR concentrate, Diatomaceous Earth plus, flea killer and enforcer XX flea spray. Spray or apply these products over the affected areas. They work best on the carpets and floors. You can buy these products online or from any other pest control shop.
3.) Boric Acid to Kill Fleas Fast and Naturally
Boric acid works like salt to eliminate fleas. It acts as a dehydrating agent which causes dehydration in fleas due to which they cannot survive. You just need to sprinkle boric acid wherever you find fleas, their eggs and larvae.
Steps to Use Boric Acid to Treat Fleas Infestation Fast:
- Take a spray bottle and fill it with boric acid.
- First vacuum the carpet so that you can sprinkle boric acid.
- Remove all the objects from the carpet.
- Now shake the bottle and spray it on the carpet.
- Use soft brush on the carpet so that the boric acid works properly.
- Leave it for 2 days and again vacuum the area treated with boric acid.
- Continue with this method to kill the fleas.
- After a month wash your carpet.
4.) Home Made Flea Spray for Flea Control
There are various flea sprays available in the market as they all contain chemicals which can be hazardous. So you can make you own flea spray with some natural ingredients such as rosemary, lemon and certain essential oil.
Steps to Make Home Made Spray to Control Fleas Naturally:
- Take a large bowl and put 6 lemon slices to it.
- Now take a handful of rosemary leaves and chop them.
- Add these chopped leaves to the bowl.
- Then add 1 litre boiling water and 3 to 4 drops of geranium essential oil to rosemary and lemon.
- Cover the bowl and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, strain the water and pour it in the sprayer.
- Now spray the solution in the infested areas.
- This spray is very helpful to kill fleas.
5.) Salt to Prevent Fleas from Infestation
Salt is one of the good home remedies for killing fleas especially from your carpets. Salt works as a dehydration agent for fleas and kill them.
Steps to Use Salt to Treat Fleas Infestation Fast:
- Take some table salt or you can use any sea salt.
- Take a spice bottle and fill it with salt.
- Shake the bottle and sprinkle it over the carpets.
- Leave it for 2 days and after 1 to 2 days vacuum properly.
6.) Herbal Flea Spray to Kill Fleas Naturally and Fast
The homemade flea spray is better than the other sprays which contain chemicals. The homemade spray is safe for your kids and pets.
Steps to Use Herbal Flea Spray to Control Fleas Naturally:
- Mix 1 gallon vinegar, half gallon water, 16oz lemon juice and 8 oz witch hazel.
- First vacuum each corner and other areas where you want to spray this solution.
- Fill this solution into the spray bottle.
- Now spray it on your furniture, carpets, floors, window sills, pet bedding and in every corner of your house.
- Do it daily for 2 to 7 days.
- Repeat it in every 3 to 4 days when fleas become less noticeable.
7.) Dish Detergent to Get Rid of Fleas Fast
The dish detergent and water solution works great for fleas. When they come in contact with this mixture, they die.
Steps to Use Dish Detergent to Treat Fleas Infestation:
- Take a bowl and pour the water and detergent in this bowl. Don’t fill it too much.
- Place the bowl next to a low hanging light source especially in a night-light. The fleas will attract to the light and fall into the mixture. So they die.
8.) Clean Your Pet to Get Rid of Fleas from Dogs
Pets carry fleas and so they can harm your pets. Washing your pet is the best way to kill the fleas. By cleaning your dog you can easily get rid of fleas from dogs.
Steps to Clean Your Pet to Kill Fleas Fast:
- Apply the flea soap near the dog’s nose, eyes, ears, butt and mouth.
- When fleas feel water then they look for a safe place on the dog to hide such as on the head, near the anus and around the neck.
- Let the soap stand for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, comb out the dead fleas when dried.
- You can also use tea tree oil or cedar oil because fleas don’t like these oils.
9.) Get Rid of Fleas with Baking Soda
Using baking soda is one of the effective ways to kill fleas. The baking soda helps to dry out the fleas and eggs in the carpet and helps to kill the fleas. You can use borax instead of using baking soda.
Steps to Use Baking Soda to Avoid Fleas Fast:
- Cover the entire carpet with baking soda.
- You can also spray baking soda to other infested areas.
- Leave it for few hours and then vacuum the carpet thoroughly.
- Baking soda is effective killer so you can use it in every 3 to 4 days.
10.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Prevent Fleas From Infestation
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for killing fleas. It is a natural flea repellent that will help to kill fleas. Apple cider vinegar is safe for cats and dogs.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally:
- Take a tsp of apple cider vinegar and put in your pet’s water dish.
- You can also spray apple cider vinegar in every corner of your house.
- Repeat this remedy in every 3 to 4 day to keep the fleas away.