Burn is a very common problem you face when you are injured. Burn is an injury caused to the skin and its underlying tissues. The term burn is usually associated with an injury causing a burning sensation. Your affected cells will die due to a burn. It causes severe skin damage. So, if you want to recover from a burn. Then, read this article to know various home remedies for burn.
Causes of Burn:
Here are various different causes of burn. They are as follows:
- If you catch a fire then you get a burn.
- You may get a burn if take very hot steam bath or liquid bath.
- You may get a burn if come in a contact with the hot glass, metal, and other objects.
- Electrical currents
- If you take radiation therapy to treat cancer, then you can get a burn. You may also get a burn through radiation of X-rays.
- Sunlight or harmful ultraviolet rays from a sun lamp
- If you come in contact with strong chemicals like strong acids, paint thinner, lye, or gasoline
- Tanning bed
- Burn injuries in child abuse
Symptoms of Burn:
Burn is classified according to their extent and depth of the injury. So, a burn depends on which layer of skin is damaged. Depending on the injury, they are classified into three categories.
First Degree Burn:
In this type of burn, the outermost layer of the skin called epidermis got damaged. It may cause swelling and pain. Though, you will not experience any blistering. This type of burn usually occurs after over-exposure to ultraviolet rays of the sun. It may also happen if you come in contact with the hot object.
Second Degree Burn:
In this type of burn dermis, the second layer of your skin gets damaged. It is a very painful burn that appears moist, soft, and pink. Depending upon damage caused to your dermis, this type of burn may take around 2-6 weeks to heal completely. Though, you may notice scarring even if burn gets healed.
Third Degree Burn:
This is the most severe type of burn which involves extreme damage to the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis. It causes a huge damage to three layers of the skin. Your skin may appear filmy white. Also, nerves, muscles, fat, and bones get affected due to it. A large number of skin tissues get damaged. In addition, three-degree burn is a very critical problem where healing is very slow.
Home Remedies for Burn:
Here are various home remedies for a burn that you may follow to heal the burn. These home remedies are effective in healing first and second-degree burn. These remedies may work better for a minor burn. But, if you are having any major burn, then it is really important to take an assistance of a good doctor as soon as possible. So follow these home remedies for burn.
1.) Aloe Vera to Treat Burn:
Aloe Vera gel is very important ingredient that may heal burn naturally. It has astringent and tissue-healing properties. All you need to cut aloe vera leaf into small pieces. Extract gel from it and apply it to burn. You may also mix turmeric powder with aloe vera gel and apply it to affected area. It is a great remedy to cure burn.
2.) Cold Water to Cure Burn:
As soon as you get burn, immediately prevent burn from spreading by using running cold water over the burnt area. You may also place cold compress over affected area to get relief in discomfort caused due to burn. Also, never use ice on it as it can restrict blood flow that may cause a huge damage to the delicate tissues of the skin.
3.) Coconut Oil to Soothe Burn:
Coconut oil and lemon juice is one of the most effective home remedies for burn. It can treat burn naturally. Coconut oil is high in fatty acids and vitamin E nutrient. It also has myristic acid and caprylic acid inside it that provide antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-fungal benefits. Lemon juice has acidic properties that helps in lightening scars. So, to prepare this remedy take a little lemon juice and add it to coconut oil. Mix these ingredients properly and apply it on the affected area to promote healing. Also, remember that this remedy is more effective when dried and cool coconut oil is used.
4.) Black Tea Bags to Treat Burn:
Black tea bags are one of the best home remedies for burn due to the presence of tannic acid in it. This ingredient helps in drawing out heat which in turn helps in reducing pain in a burn. For using this remedy, just follow these steps:
- Take three tea bags and steep it in warm water for few minutes. Let this solution cool down and soak the clean cloth in it. After this, place this clean cloth on affected area.
- You may also use cool ad wet tea bags on the burn.
5.) Use Honey to Prevent Burn:
Honey is act as a great healer. It can help in disinfecting wounds. Honey includes great antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in it that help in reducing the risk of developing hypertrophic scars. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take little amount of honey and spread it on a gauze bandage. Put this bandage on the burn.
- Use this remedy 3-4 times in a day. Always keep on changing bandages every time you apply this remedy. It is one of the best remedies for burn.
6.) Raw Potato to Cure Burn:
Raw Potato can effectively treat minor burns. It contains great anti-irritating and soothing properties. It can work as a great agent that can reduce pain and blisters from your skin. All you need to cut few slices of raw potato and rub it on the burnt area. You may also grate a potato and apply it on the infected area for about 15 minutes to cure burn naturally.
7.) Lavender Essential Oil:
This essential oil contains both painkilling and antiseptic properties. It helps a lot in reducing the risk of scarring. Hence, use lavender oil for treating burn, as it is one of the effective remedies for burn. Follow these steps to use this remedy.
- Take two cups of water and add few drops of lavender oil to it. Mix these ingredients well and soak a clean cloth in this mixture.
- Now, use this cloth as a compress several times in a day to treat burn. You may apply lavender oil directly on your skin, but it is very important to dilute it first before using it.
8.) Vinegar to Treat Burn:
Vinegar contains astringent and antiseptic properties. It is very helpful in preventing infection and treating minor burns. Follow these steps to use this remedy:
- Take apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and dilute it with water. You may use this solution for washing burned area.
- After this, cover the burned area with a clean cloth soaked in vinegar.
9.) Onion Juice to Cure Burn:
Onion is high in sulfur mineral and quercetin that helps in providing relief in pain. These compounds also help in reducing the chances of getting blisters. To use this remedy, all you need to cut a fresh onion and grind it. Now, apply its juice on the burned area. Try to use only fresh onion as after few minutes they tend to lose their medicinal properties.
10.) Plantain Leaves to Treat Burn:
This is the most popular home remedies for burn. Plantain leaves contain amazing antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. To use this remedy, just crush a few fresh leaves of plantain and prepare a paste from it. After this, apply this paste on affected area and cover it with a cotton cloth. It is a great natural treatment for burn.