In this article, we are discussing several methods to get rid of ingrown hair. Did you notice some painful, inflamed and red outgrowth on your skin? They are an ingrown hair. They are the result of frequent shaving, waxing and using various other methods to remove hair on the regular basis. They can even be an effect of dead skin that blocks hair follicles and forces the hair to grow inside. These are also known as razor bumps and are defined by raising curled hair and pimple-like red bump, which grows inwards in the skin instead of growing outside. It can cause pain, irritation and swelling on the skin. Usually, these are most common among people with curly hair.
Ingrown hair happens most frequently in legs, bikini area, beard area and legs. These will fade away with time, but there are several home remedies that will help you treat the uneasy feeling quickly. You can also read this related article How to prevent razor burn?
Top Remedies to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
1.) Sugar to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
Sugar is an amazing skin scrub that can help get rid of ingrown hair fast. It gently exfoliates your skin, removes dead cells and help the ingrown hair to come out of the skin easily. Moreover, it will make your skin silky and smooth. To try this method, follow the steps given below:
- Mix 1 tsp of your favorite oil like one-half cup of jojoba oil or extra-virgin olive oil.
- Mix sugar and oil well together.
- Apply and massage with this homemade scrub on the affected area.
- Gently scrub the area in circular motions for 10 minutes.
- Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this remedy 1-2 times a week as per your requirement.
- Store the remaining scrub in an airtight jar for further use.
2.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
Baking soda consists of soothing properties that help treat ingrown hair easily. It also consists of anti-inflammatory properties that help ease itching by exfoliating the skin and also lessens redness caused due to ingrown hairs. To use this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Take one tsp of baking soda and mix it with a cup of water.
- Using a cotton ball, apply this solution on the affected area.
- Leave it untouched for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat this method 2-3 times daily as needed.
Alternatively, you can make a homemade scrub with baking soda:
- Mix one tsp of baking soda, oatmeal and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix all the ingredients well and scrub the affected area.
- Then rinse if off using lukewarm water and gently pat the skin dry.
- Follow this remedy 1-2 times daily as needed.
3.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat the skin and also prevent skin infection. To use this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Add 5-6 drops of tea tree oil to in a half cup of water.
- Apply this diluted tea tree oil solution on the affected skin.
- Leave this solution for 10 minutes
- Then wash the area with warm water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times daily as needed.
4.) Aspirin to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
Aspirin can help reduce the two most common symptoms of ingrown hair i.e. inflammation and redness. The anti-inflammatory property of aspirin also helps reduce swelling, treats mild infection and fights inflammation. Moreover, the salicylic acid in aspirin scrubs away the dead skin to loosen the irritating hair. To use this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Make a paste using aspirin by adding 1 tsp of water in aspirin.
- You can also add one tsp of honey to the paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected area.
- Leave this paste for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this method 2-3 times a week as needed.
Note: Those who have sensitive skin should not follow this remedy.
5.) Salt to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
Salt works as a natural exfoliating agent. It helps increase blood circulation, healing quickly and reduce swelling. To use this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Take some warm water and add a tsp of salt in it.
- Using a cotton ball apply this mixture on the affected area and rub it gently all over the skin.
- Leave it for 5 mins.
- Then wash it off with warm water.
- Do this process twice daily until you see some positive results.
6.) Black Tea Bags to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
Black tea bags can also help Treat ingrown hairs at home. Black tea consists of tannic acid, which reduces inflammation and redness of the skin. It also helps make your skin soft and supple. To use this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Take a used black tea bag or take a fresh one and warm it in hot water.
- Rub it all over the affected area for 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat this method for best results.
7.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
Aloe vera is another beneficial home remedy for ingrown hair or razor bump. It consists of soothing as well as cooling properties that provide immediate relief from inflammation and itchiness. Also, aloe vera will keep the skin moisturized and fasten the healing process. To use this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Take one fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel.
- Rub this gel on the affected skin.
- Allow it to dry for about half an hour.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this process 2-3 times daily for a few days for best results.
8.) Honey to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of ingrown hair. Honey consists of antibacterial properties that will help prevent the affected area from becoming red and inflamed. Moreover, honey also moisturize your skin and reduces inflammation as well as swelling. To use this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Apply a thin layer of honey directly on the irritated skin.
- Massage with honey gently using your hands.
- Let it dry for about 10-15 minutes.
- Then wash it off with cold water.
- Follow this remedy 3-4 times a day for as long as needed.