Summer vacations are fun especially if you are planning the outdoor holiday with your friends and family. The only problem with summers is the over exposer to sun that leads sunburn. Redness inflammation, irritation, uneven skin tone are some of the symptoms of the sunburn. If this skin condition is not treated timely it can lead to blisters that takes time to heal. To prevent sunburn, apply sunscreen cream with a good SPF on the entire body before stepping outdoors. However, if the problem still persists don’t worry keep some remedy handy with you. Below we have listed bundle of home remedies for sunburn. You can carry these remedies as well.
Best Home Remedies for Sunburn:
1.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Sunburn
How can we forget Aloe Vera when it comes to health and skin? It is one of the best remedies for all sorts of skin problems and sunburn is one of them. It has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that comes to the action and help to prevent, developing the blister and other symptoms of the sunburn.
- Rip off an Aloe Vera leaf and extract gel out of it.
- Rinse the burnt skin, pat it dry and spread the natural Aloe gel on the skin.
- Leave it on for until the gel gets dry.
- Apply the gel as many times possible to speed up the recovery.
2.) Baking Soda to Treat Sunburn
Another ingredient that can come handy for treating the sunburn is baking soda. All thanks to its antiseptic properties and alkaline nature. This helps to soothe the itching and inflammation caused due to the sunburn. Therefore, it is one of the best home remedies for sunburn.
- Fill your bath tub with the cold water and sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda in it.
- Soak your body in this bathtub for 15-20 minutes and then rinse your body with running tap water.
- Alternatively, make a paste of the baking soda and water. Apply this paste on the effected skin. Leave it for a few minutes and rinse it.
- Follow this trick regularly until you get satisfactory results.
3.) Cold Compress to Cure Burns
If you find nothing, then simply take some ice cubes, wrap it in the washcloth and place it over the burnt skin. This will work to heal the skin immediately and also prevent the itching and appearance of the blister. It constricts the blood vessels and cures the burns.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in the washcloth and dab it over the burnt area.
- You can also use frozen veggie bags instead.
4.) Oatmeal as a Remedy for Sunburn
Whether it is a sunburn, razor burn or any other kind of burns you can use oatmeal as a remedy without thinking much. It has soothing properties that soothes the redness and inflammation. Thus, it is one of the best home remedies for sunburn to try.
- Fill your bathtub with the cold water and sprinkle a good amount of oatmeal to it. Soak your body in this bathtub for a few minutes and rinse your body with running water to remove the oatmeal slathered on the entire body.
- Alternatively, in a pan take some water, and add a tea spoon of oatmeal in it. Cook this solution until you get a thick consistency. Let it cool at room temprature. Apply this paste on the burnt skin and leave it on until it gets completely dry, then rinse it with the cold water.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day until you get satisfactory results.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Sunburn
ACV is a natural astringent and thus it is one of the best remedies for sunburn. It soothes the irritation and pain. In addition to this, it has lactic acid that treats the inflammation and itching. Moreover, it will speed up the healing process.
- Fill your bathtub with the warm water and add a cup of ACV into it.
- Soak your body in this for couple of minutes. It will balance the pH level of the skin and treat the burns.
- In a bowl mix, equal amounts pf cold water and apple cider vinegar, dip a paper towel in this solution and dab it over the burnt area.
- Avoid this remedy if your skin is sensitive to ACV.
6.) Black Tea to Heal Burns
Black tea is one of the best home remedies for sunburn and all kinds of burns. Though you can use any tea however, black tea is much effective. It has tannic acid which makes it effective.
- In a cup pour cold water and dip a black tea bag into it.
- Once the tea bag is cold enough dab it over the affected area.
- You can also use the water present in the cup to rinse the burnt area.
7.) Potatoes to Treat the Sunburn
Potato is one of the kitchen staple. It draws the heat out and work as a natural bleach that helps to fade the scar and marks left after the sunburn.
- Peel a potato and slice it. Blend the slices to get a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the burnt skin and leave it until it completely dries.
- Later rinse it with cold water.
8.) Honey to Treat Sunburn
Whether it is razor burn or skin burn, honey is a best remedy for all kinds of burns. It is a natural antibiotic and moisturize the skin. In ddition to this it has certain enzyme that replenish the dead skin cells. Honey reduces the swelling and say good bye to inflammation as well.
- First rinse the burnt skin, pat it dry and spread a thin layer of the honey on it.
- Alternatively, in a glass of lukewarm water mix a table spoon of honey and drink it a few times a day especially before going to the bed since night is the only time when the skin heals most.
9.) Milk as a Remedy for Sunburn
Milk is packed with the fat, pH and protein that works as a soothing agent. Moreover, it has anti-inflammatory properties that adds on to the benefit of the milk.
- In a jar add 4 cups of water and a cup of skimmed milk, add a few ice cubes to it.
- Dip a washcloth in this mixture. wring the excess solution and dab it over the effected skin.
- Repeat this as many times you feel like to heal the sunburn.
10.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Sunburn
Coconut oil contains vitamin E and fatty acids that nourishes the skin and lock the moisture as well. This helps to reduce the inflammation and redness caused due to the sunburn.
- Microwave some extra virgin coconut oil.
- Keep it aside at the room temperature until is coolstill down enough to be applied on the skin.
- Make sure it is neither too hot nor cold. Rub the coconut oil on the effected skin.
- Leave it for a night and rinse it next day.
- Repeat this regularly to get the relief from the sunburn.
11.) Yogurt to Treat Sunburn
Yogurt is also one of the best home remedies of sunburn. It has same benefits that milk has. In addition, it has lactic acid that work as savior. It gives a cooling and soothing effect to the skin
- Rinse the burnt skin and pat it dry with a soft towel.
- Apply a thick layer of the yogurt on the burnt skin.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and later rinse it with cold water.
- Apply this 2-3 times a day to cure sunburn.
12.) Witchhazel as a Remedy for Sunburn
Witchhazel is natural astringent that helps to heal the inflammation and redness caused due to the sun burn. In addition, it has soothing properties that speeds up the healing process.
- Rinse the effected skin, pat it dry and spread witch hazel on the burnt skin.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it with the cold water.
- Repeat this a few times a day regularly until the sunburn gets completely vanished.
13.) Homemade Burn Cream to Get Rid of Sunburn
If above listed remedies do not work individually then you can mix some of them and prepare a DIY burn cream for yourself. For this you can use Aloe Vera gel, witch hazel, teaspoon of peppermint oil and 2 tablespoons of water. This is definitely one of the best home remedies for sunburn.
- Mix all these ingredients together.
- Rinse the burnt area, pat it dry and apply a good layer of this homemade burn cream.
- Since this is a homemade medicine thus it has no side effects.
14.) Cucumber to Cure Sunburn
Cucumber has all the properties that Aloe Vera has. Thus, it can be used as Aloe’s substitute. It has soothing and cooling properties that comes into the action. Therefore, it is one of the best home remedies for sunburn.
- Keep a cucumber in the refrigerator.
- After half an hour slice it and place the slices over the affected skin.
- Alternatively, you can use cucumber juice to rinse the burnt skin.
15.) Essential Oil as a Remedy for Sunburn
Essential oil such as lavender and helichrysum work as natural sunburn medicine. They have soothing and anti-inflammatory properties that comes in hand to treat the sunburn. Moreover, they are good for overall health of the skin as well.
- Spray some essential oil on the wound.
- It might sting for a second so do not panic.
- Reapply it when necessary.