Itchy skin is a common problem that affects many people. It can be mildly annoying to intensely aggravating, disrupting daily activities and sleep, depends on the severity of itching. It can have various causes like insect bites, skin infection, allergic reactions, soaps and detergent, dry weather and even some medications. While scratching gives relief for the moment but it can also lead to injuries and infections. Many effective remedies can give you relief from itchy skin and can prevent the complication caused by excessive scratching. In this article, you will know to way to stop itching.
Ways to Stop Itching:
- Ways to Stop Itching:
- 1.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Itching
- 2.) Baking Soda to Stop Itching
- 3.) Cool Water to Get Rid of Itching
- 4.) Lemon to Stop Itching
- 5.) Juniper Berries and Cloves to Get Rid of Itching
- 6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Stop Itching
- 7.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Itching
- 8.) Basil to Stop Itching
- 9.) Thyme to Get Rid of Itching
- 10.) Peppermint oil to Stop Itching
- 11.) Clay to Ease Itching Quickly
- 12.) Avoid Scented detergent to Stop Itching
1.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Itching
- Colloidal oatmeal helps to soothe and comfort itchy skin. It contains anti-inflammatory, anti-irritating and soothing properties that can provide instant relief from itching.
- Fill a bathtub with lukewarm water and add one to two cups of colloidal oatmeal. Soak in this water for about 15 to 20 minutes. don’t use hot water as it may irritate your skin. You can take an oatmeal bath up to 3 times a day, it depends on the severity of your condition.
- Add a little water to one cup of colloidal oatmeal and leave it until it gets thickens to a paste-like consistency. Topically apply this mixture on your itchy skin and cover it with a cloth, leave it for half an hour. Use this remedy once a day.
- If you don’t have colloidal oatmeal, so you can use unprocessed oat flour or whole oats that have been ground in a food processor.
2.) Baking Soda to Stop Itching
Baking soda is one of the most common remedies for itchy skin and skin rashes. It has a soothing effect due to its anti-inflammatory properties. it acts as a natural acid neutralizer that helps to relieve itching.
- Fill a bathtub with cool water and add one cup of baking soda in it. Stir it well to distribute the baking soda thoroughly. Soak in this water for about half an hour. Pat dry yourself with a towel instead of rubbing the skin. Do this once a day.
- Or you can prepare a paste by mixing three tablespoons of baking soda with one tablespoon of water. Apply this paste on the affected area to stop itching and leave it on for about 10 minutes. use this remedy once a day.
- Keep in mind that don’t use baking soda on broken skin or open wounds.
3.) Cool Water to Get Rid of Itching
The sensation of both itching and cold travel along the same nerve fibers in the body, so applying cool water on the affected skin can give instant relief from itchiness. There are many ways to use cool water for itchy skin.
- You need to run cool tap water over the affected skin for as long as necessary.
- Then rub the wrapped ice on the affected area.
- After that take a cool shower or bath.
- Apply a cold compress or to the affected area.
4.) Lemon to Stop Itching
People are using lemon since ages to treat itchy skin. Lemon contain acetic acids and citric acids which have great anesthetic, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory and anti-irritating properties. It is one of the effective remedy to stop itching.
- Take two fresh lemons and extract the juice out of it.
- Apply this juice on the affected area with the help of cotton ball.
- Let it dry on its own and then wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy twice a day until your condition improves.
- Those who have sensitive skin it is not suitable for them.
5.) Juniper Berries and Cloves to Get Rid of Itching
If juniper berries and cloves are used together, they make an excellent home remedy for itchy skin. Juniper berries have a great anti-inflammatory property and cloves have powerful essential oil that helps to numb the nerve ending to reduce stop itching sensation.
- Mix six tablespoons of unsalted butter in a saucepan and melt two tablespoons of beeswax in another saucepan.
- Mix them together and stir well.
- Stir with five tablespoons of ground juniper berries and three tablespoons of ground cloves.
- Allow the mixture to get cool.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area and leave it on for overnight.
- Next morning take a cool shower or bath.
- Do this daily to see the positive result.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Stop Itching
Apple cider vinegar has anti itching, antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties that can help to get rid of itching.
Add two to three cups of apple cider vinegar to lukewarm water. Soak in this water for about 15 to 30 minutes. then pat dry your skin and apply a light moisturizer. Repeat this process daily to see the positive result.
To treat more localized itching, you can apply apple cider vinegar on the affected area with the help of cotton ball. Leave it on for half and hour and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once or twice a day for a few days.
7.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Itching
Aloe vera has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. it also contains vitamin E that helps to keep the skin moisturized and in turn reduces the itching.
- Take and aloe vera leaf and cut it into pieces to extract the juice out of it. leave it on for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy once a day to see the positive result.
- Or you can use another method. take one tablespoon of aloe vera gel to two tablespoons of green clay to make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected area and let it dry on its own. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy once a day to stop itching.
8.) Basil to Stop Itching
Basil is very effective herb to treat itching. It has a high amount of eugenol, a potent essential oil, and topical anesthetic. Basil also has a compound called camphor and thymol that effectively fight itching.
- Add one tablespoon of dried basil leaves in two cups of boiling water. Then cover the pan for a few minutes. allow the mixture to get cool and then apply it on the affected area using a cotton cloth. Repeat the process as necessary.
- Or you can use another method. crush a few basil leaves and rub them directly on the affected area. Let it dry for some time before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this process as many as times needed to relief.
9.) Thyme to Get Rid of Itching
It contains a significant amount of thymol, which has anti-inflammatory and anesthetic properties. Thymol can hep to numb the nerve fibers and help to reduce the inflammation caused by excessive scratching.
- Add one tablespoon of dried thyme leaves and two cups of boiling water.
- Cover it and let it cool.
- Strain the solution.
- Apply the solution directly on the itchy skin using a clean cloth.
- Use this as many as times as necessary.
- Save any leftover solution in a jar to use later.
10.) Peppermint oil to Stop Itching
Peppermint has antiseptic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that can help to relieve the itching caused by dermatitis, stress or scabies.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil in a bathtub fill with warm water. Soak in this water for about half an hour. Pat dry your skin and then apply a moisturizing lotion. Use this remedy at least once a day.
- Add three to four drops of peppermint oil to one tablespoon of carrier oil like olive, coconut and almond oil. Apply this diluted peppermint oil on the affected skin. Massage gently so the oil can penetrate deep into the skin. Use this remedy once or twice a day to see the positive changes.
11.) Clay to Ease Itching Quickly
Bentonite clay also called shampoo clay which has been shown to be effective in treating eczema and diaper rash. You can easily buy this from any natural heath stores.
- Stir green clay with a bit of water to make a paste
- Apply this paste on the affected skin.
- Let it dry and then peel it off.
12.) Avoid Scented detergent to Stop Itching
Scented detergent often has a chemical that can further irritate your skin. Alos try to put your clothes through a second rinse cycle.