Flies are tiny, irritating insect that mostly attaches your pets. But if you have pets or you live in an area where fleas are common, so chances are high that you might suffer from the flea bites. Flea bites are itchy and painful. The bites appear as a small, red bumps, typically in groups of three to four or in a straight line. They most often seen around the ankles or legs, it can also notice around the armpits, waist or in the fold of the elbow and knees. Excessive scratching can even damage the skin and lead to secondary bacterial infection. To treat flea bites, your first line of defense should be to control the infestation. At the same time, there are many natural remedies that you can use to treat flea bites on yourself and your pets.
Ways to Treat Flea Bites:
- Ways to Treat Flea Bites:
- 1.) Cold Compress to Get Rid of Flea Bites
- 2.) Baking soda to Soothe Flea Bites
- 3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Flea Bites Naturally
- 4.) Indian Lilac to Cure Flea Bites
- 5.) Aloe Vera to Treat Flea Bites
- 6.) Witch Hazel to Get Rid of Flea Bites
- 7.) Epsom Salt to Treat Flea Bites
- 8.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Flea Bites
- 9.) Lemon to Treat Flea Bites
- 10.) Green Tea to Get Rid of Flea Bites
1.) Cold Compress to Get Rid of Flea Bites
Appling a comp compress on the affected area can help to stop itching and pain due to flea bites. This remedy works well for human as well as pets. The cold temperature has a numbing effect on the nerve ending that helps to soothe the itching sensation and reduce swelling.
- Clean the site of the bite and the area around it with warm and soapy water.
- Wrap a few pieces of ice cubes in a thin washcloth.
- Then put the ice pack on the affected area for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Take a break then reapply the pack.
- Continue applying this for about 10 to 15 minutes few times a day.
- Keep in that, do not apply ice directly on the skin, as it can lead to ice burns.
2.) Baking soda to Soothe Flea Bites
Baking soda is a very effective remedy to treat flea bites. Being a natural neutralizer, it provides instant relief from itching and helps to reduce swelling and inflammation and risk of infection.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with a little water and apply this thin paste on the affected area. leave it for about 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. Do this twice a day to see a positive result.
- Or you can use another method. Add one cup of baking soda in a bathtub filled with cool water. Stir it well. soak in this water for about 10 minutes, then pat dry yourself using a soft towel. Do this once a day.
- You can treat both dogs and cats with the paste made from 1 teaspoon of baking soda with an enough amount of water to prevent itching and scratching. Apply this paste on the affected area with the help of cotton ball. Leave it on for about 5 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water. If in case your pet is itching all over give your pet a bath with 1 cup of baking soda mixed in its bath water.
- Keep in mind that, don’t use baking soda on a broken skin or open wounds.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Flea Bites Naturally
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent remedy to treat flea bites. This remedy works well for both human and pets. It can help to reduce the inflammation and soothe itching on the affected area. its acetic acid content also prevents infections.
- Dip a cotton ball in the solution of apple cider vinegar and apply it on the affected area. let it sit for about 5 minutes, then remove the cotton ball. Try this effective remedy few times a day to get relief. If it causes irritation, so try diluting it with water before applying.
- For pets mix equal amount of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray this solution on the affected area on your pet’s body. Be careful to avoid spraying it on your pets ears, eyes, and nose. Repeat this method few times a day.
- You can also spray the solution on the flea infested surfaces.
4.) Indian Lilac to Cure Flea Bites
Whether you want to control a flea infestation of want to treat flea bites, Indian lilac is very effective. It has an anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, and anti septic properties and is used on humans and dogs by those who prefer to treat flea bites in a natural way. It is not suitable for cats.
- Simmer an Indian lilac leave in water for about 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the solution and let it cool. Soak a cotton ball in this solution and place it on the affected are for about 10 to 15 minutes. Use this remedy for a twice a day for a few days.
- You can also apply an Indian based lotion or cream on the affected are few times a day.
- If you want to treat your dog, so first dilute it almond oil in a ration of 1:10 and rub it on the affected area of your dogs a few times a day.
- To control a flea infestation, mix 12 drops of neem oil in one ounce of the spray bottle. Spray this solution on the flea infested areas. you can also spray this solution on your dog’s fur and let it dry.
5.) Aloe Vera to Treat Flea Bites
Aloe vera is soothing for the skin of humans and pets. Its active compounds contain anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can help to ease itching and swelling due to flea bites. It also increases the healing process.
- Take an aloe vera leaf and extract the gel from it.
- Rub it on the affected are where flea have bitten you.
- Leave it for about 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy 2 to 3 times a day.
6.) Witch Hazel to Get Rid of Flea Bites
Witch hazel is an effective astringent that can help to treat flea bites. It helps to calm down the itching and reduce the inflammation and redness due to tannins in it. Tannins have anti-inflammatory and astringent effect that can help to reduce the itching and swelling. Cats and dogs can also be treated with witch hazel.
- Soak a cotton ball in the witch hazel solution and place it on the affected area for about 10 minutes. Repeat this method as needed.
- For pets pour the solution of witch hazel in a spray bottle and spray it on the inflamed skin of your dogs and cats. Repeat as needed.
7.) Epsom Salt to Treat Flea Bites
Epsom saltly is useful for soothing a number of skin problems, including flea bites. Both humans and pets can get benefits from Epsom salt bath to reduce the inflammation and irritation caused by flea bites.
- For carts and dogs dissolve 4 to 6 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a gallon of warm water. Give your pet a nice bath for 10 to 15 minutes from this water. Use this remedy once a week. While you are giving your pet an Epsom salt bath, make sure to that don’t drink any of the water, as it may cause diarrhea.
- If you have flea bites, so prepare a soothing bath by adding one cup of Epsom salt in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water. Soak in this water for about 10 minutes. Enjoy this bath for 1 or 2 times a week.
8.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Flea Bites
Oatmeal has various properties, it draws inflammatory toxins out of the skin an soothes the skin, it helps to treat skin irritation and inflammation caused by flea bites.
- Prepare a thick paste by using an equal amount of oatmeal and plain yogurt with a little honey. Apply it on the affected area and leave it for about half an hour before washing it off. Use this until you see improvement.
9.) Lemon to Treat Flea Bites
Lemon is a very effective remedy to flea bite for human as well as pets. It can help to control the flea infestation. This natural astringent helps to dry out the rashes caused by flea bites and keeps itching at bay. It also helps to reduce the redness and swelling and prevent infection.
- Take a lemon and extract the juice out of it. Dip a cotton ball in this juice and dab it on the affected area.
- Let it dry on its own and then rinse the affected area.
- Do this few times a day.
10.) Green Tea to Get Rid of Flea Bites
Green tea has anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant properties that can help to soothe the skin, relieve itching and reduce swelling and promote healing.
- Take few cups of green tea and let it cool. Use this tea to wash the bites on your skin as well as your pets. Repeat as needed.
- Or you can use another method. Place a used tea bag directly on the affected area. keep the used tea bag in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes prior to use. Repeat as needed.