Termites are small pests that can damage your house foundations. They can be small but the damage caused by the termites is not small. They are not only very dangerous, but they act silently. This means that termites might be secretly living in your home. They comprise a large group of insects that feed on cellulose, which is found in wood. All types of termites consume cellulose as they are detritivores. They feed on dead trees and plants as well as dead parts of living trees that includes wood in the soil and wood. House foundations, shelves, furniture and even books are all feeding sites of termites. This article will help you how to get rid of termites.
Some people notice a termite infestation after the damage has done. However, there are some signs that can alert you to notice the existence of termites in your house. The presence of mud tubes in places such as crawl spaces and wooden beams will alert you to a termite infestation problem. There are some methods to control termites, including home remedies, natural remedies and pest control method. So, it is essential to take the proper steps to protect your house from pest infestation.
Types of Termites:
- Dampwood Termites- Dampwood termites are larger in size and infest wood with high moisture content.
- Conehead Termites- Conehead termites was first introduced to the U.S. They were originally known as Tree Termites but later on they were renamed as Conehead termites to eliminate the misconception that this termite is only found in trees.
- Drywood Termites- Drywood termites are usually found in doorframes, window, eaves, trims, attics and siding.
- Formosan Termites- To control Formosan termites eliminate the sources of moisture, both inside and outside of the home. You should reduce humidity in attics, crawl spaces and basements.
- Subterranean Termites- The best method to control subterranean termites is to avoid the accumulation of water near your house.
Signs of Termites:
- Paint on the wall that has cracked or bubbled.
- Mud tubes outside the home or in the garden.
- Solid wood sounds hollow.
Best Methods to Get Rid of Termites:
- Best Methods to Get Rid of Termites:
- 1.) Set up a Cardboard Trap to Prevent Termites
- 2.) Expose Wood to Sunlight to Get Rid of Termites Naturally
- 3.) Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Termites Fast
- 4.) Borax (Sodium Borate) to Get Rid of Termites Fast
- 5.) Neem Oil or Indiana Lilac to Kill Termites in House
- 6.) Orange Oil to Get Rid of Termites Naturally and Fast
- 7.) White Vinegar to Kill the Termites Fast
- 8.) Soapy Water to Get Rid of Termites Fast
- 9.) Salt to Kill Termites Fast
- 10.) Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Termites Fast
Here is the list of best methods or remedies that can help you to get rid of such type of pests.
1.) Set up a Cardboard Trap to Prevent Termites
A wet cardboard trap is non-toxic and one of the best ways to kill termites. Cardboard contains cellulose that they can feed. Take some flat strips of cardboard and wet them. Stack these flat strips on one another in an area where they are usually come. This is an excellent trap for them as they feed on cardboard. When the cardboard is infested with termites then take the cardboard out and burn it. Repeat this method multiple times as needed.
2.) Expose Wood to Sunlight to Get Rid of Termites Naturally
Exposing termites in the sun’s harmful UV rays are the best way to catch them and they die off in the sun’s rays. It is a great method for eliminating them from the furniture or any other wooden item. First, place your furniture outside in sunlight which is infested with termites. Keep the furniture in the sun rays for 3 to 5 days. After 5 days, you will see that the termites died.
3.) Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Termites Fast
Diatomaceous earth can solve various pest problems that include a termite infestation. It will prevent dry wood termites as well as subterranean termites from infesting your home. Diatomaceous earth helps to abrade the termites’ outer shell that causing them to die.
Steps to Use Diatomaceous Earth:
- Sprinkle some diatomaceous earth on the infested furniture or any other area. Repeat this method once daily until all the termites has died.
- Once in a while, sprinkle garden grade diatomaceous earth on your home’s wall and areas where they usually come for infestation.
4.) Borax (Sodium Borate) to Get Rid of Termites Fast
Borax is also known as sodium borate that can help to kill subterranean termites. It can weaken their nervous system and dehydrate them.
Steps to Use Borax to Prevent Termites Infestation:
- Use borax powder to coat the infested areas. Repeat it every day for a week, so that the entire colony of termites has been eliminated.
- You can also use a borax solution onto wood surfaces to deter termites and prevent termite infestation. To make this solution, mix 1 tsp of borax powder to 8 ounce cup of hot water. Use this solution to kill them.
5.) Neem Oil or Indiana Lilac to Kill Termites in House
Neem oil is one of the best home remedies to get rid of termites fast. Neem oil is safe and nontoxic to get rid of wood termites. Neem oil works as an insect growth regulator that prevents them from infestation which leads to their death. It can even stop them from eating and laying eggs. When the termites come in direct contact with the neem oil, only then it can kill them.
Steps to Use Neem Oil:
- Take some neem oil and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Apply this neem oil on the infested furniture and other areas where they usually come.
- The termites will consume the oil and die.
- Reapply the neem oil many times until they are gone.
6.) Orange Oil to Get Rid of Termites Naturally and Fast
Orange oil contains an active compound that is D-Limonene that helps to kill dry wood termites when they come in contact with this oil. It is the best and effective home remedy that helps to eliminate dry wood colonies that have infested some areas.
Steps to Use Orange Oil:
- Apply the orange oil on the areas where you see the colonies of dry wood termites.
- Reapply the oil for many days.
- You can also make small holes in the infested areas and put the oil into the hollow spaces. Re-inject the oil many times for better and quick results.
7.) White Vinegar to Kill the Termites Fast
White vinegar is one of the best and effective method to control termite infestations in some areas.
Steps to Use White Vinegar:
- Take half cup of white vinegar and the juice of two lemons and mix them well.
- Take a spray bottle and pour this solution to it.
- Spray the solution onto infested areas.
- Repeat the method for some days.
8.) Soapy Water to Get Rid of Termites Fast
A soapy water solution helps to get rid of termites fast. This soapy water solution forms an impermeable seal on the outer shell of the termites. This method destroys their respiratory system and causing them to die.
Steps to Use Soapy Water:
- Take two tbsp of liquid dish soap and 4 cups of water. Mix both the ingredients very well.
- Pour this solution in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the infested wood and other infested areas.
- Reapply the soapy water solution until you satisfied with the result.
9.) Salt to Kill Termites Fast
Salt is one of the best home remedies to get rid of termites in furniture. It keeps them at bay and prevent further infestation.
Steps to Use Salt:
- Combine equal parts of salt and warm water in a bowl. Stir it well until the salt dissolves in water.
- Take a syringe and fill it with this solution and inject it to the infested areas.
- Spread the solution around the infested areas as well.
- Repeat this process daily, for some days to prevent the termite infestation.
10.) Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Termites Fast
Try cayenne pepper in some areas which is infested with termites. Cayenne pepper helps to kill pests.
Steps to Use Cayenne Pepper:
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper powder on small infested areas. Sprinkle it for a few days until you see all the pests dead.
- You can also prepare a paste of light vegetable oil and cayenne pepper. Then apply it to the infested areas or wood for some days.
Other Useful Tips to Get Rid of Termites:
- Remove paper debris, mulch, wood and lumber near your home’s area as they can be a great source of food for termites.
- Regularly check your fencing, decking and other wood components that can be early signs of infestation.
- Fill your cracks in a wall or other sites with cement or caulk to prevent infestation.
- You can use parasitic nematodes which are worms that can feed on termites and can be effective to eliminate the pests like termites.
- Keep your downspout and gutters clean and remove the accumulated water on your roof or near by your house areas.
- Keep moisture away from inside and outside the house.
- Repair plumbing accessories such as leaking water pipes.
- You can take a professional help to provide a cold or hot treatment to get rid of such types of pests.