You never know when your child gets a little over zealous and accidently scribble on the table with the permanent marker. But thankfully permanent marker is not always permanent. Permanent marker nature is a really tough stain to treat because it is supposed to be permanent. Using the correct substances you can have a good chance of removing permanent marker from a variety of surfaces. But different substances require different techniques and methods to remove. Here are the few methods to remove permanent marker.
Ways to Remove Permanent Marker:
1.) Remove Permanent Marker from Fabric
- Bleach- Dilute a small amount of bleach in water and dip stained part of clothing in the liquid. The stain will come off immediately or may require some soaking. If you need to soak the item, be careful when you will soak that so that bleach doesn’t begin to dissolve it. once the stain will disappear you should wash the item immediately.
- Vinegar, borax, milk, lemon juice- satin fabrics respond well on the mixture of one tablespoon each of milk and white vinegar and one teaspoon of each lemon juice and borax. Mix the solution in the small cup and then apply directly on the stain and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Take a clean dampened sponge and use it to dab at the fabric until the stain comes away.
- Rubbing Alcohol or Acetone- Stains on sturdy fabric such as sheets and towels can be removed with a little rubbing alcohol or acetone. You just need to simply pour little of either of this liquid onto a clean cotton ball and use it to dab at the stain until it disappears. Then wash the items immediately.
- Citrus Juice- juice such as lime or lemon juice can be used to remove permanent marker stains from most of the clothing items without fear of bleaching or staining. You just simply need to apply a little of the juice on the stain and dab it with a cotton ball or clean cloth until it disappears. For more fragile fabrics first, dilute the citrus juice with water. Then wash the clothing immediately.
- Hairspray or Rubbing Alcohol- You need to pour some rubbing alcohol into a cleaning cloth then dab the cloth onto the carpet stain. Don’t rub it otherwise it will spread the stain and weaken the fibers. Keep dabbing until the stain lifts off. Or you spray a little hairspray on the stain and use a clean towel to dab away. Once the stain will get remove dampen the carpet with a little water then use a clean towel to blot dry.
2.) Remove Permanent Marker from Furniture
Aerosol hairspray- spray some aerosol hairspray onto a clean cloth and use this to scrub the marker stain on the leather upholstery. You might need to use more hairspray or switch to a cleaner section of the cloth before the stain fully gets removed. Once the stain will get disappear, clean off any hairspray residue with a clean, damp cloth and work a little leather conditioner on the furniture.
- Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing Alcohol- To clean a marker stain from microfiber upholstery, you need to apply a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to clean towel and use this to scrub the stain for about 10 to 15 minutes. The apply a rubbing alcohol to a different towel and this to scrub the stain from 10 to 15 minutes. Use a third clean towel dampened with water to clean off remaining marker. Blot the area dry using a dry towel.
- Windex, Rubbing Alcohol or Nail Polish- other types of upholstery will usually respond to stain removal using rubbing alcohol, Windex or nail polish remover. All of these use the same method.
- Apply a little amount of any chosen cleaning agent, dry towel and use it dab at the skin until clean. Some people find that the towels that match the color of the upholstery work well.
- You will need to apply the cleaning agent to a clean towel and continue dabbing a number of times before the stain gets remove. Just don’t let the fabric become soaked in the cleaning agent as this could stain.
- Once the stain will get remove pat up any excess moisture in the fabric using a clean, dry towel, if it is possible, so place the furniture outdoors to dry it completely.
3.) Remove Permanent Marker from Skin
It is a very effective way to use alcohol to get rid of permanent marker stain from the skin. You can also use rubbing alcohol. Place a little alcohol on a sponge or towel then rub it into the stained skin and use some elbow grease. A faint mark will still remove but it will face after a shower or two.
4.) Glass Dishes and Windows
For glass you can use any methods in the surface such as rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover baking soda etc
- Rubbing Alcohol- Pour some rubbing alcohol on the surface and dab wth the help of clean paper towel in the alcohol. Rub and dab paper towel over the permanent marker area until the ink is fully absorbed by the rubbing alcohol and a paper towel or until no more ink will absorb. You can even repeat the process with the newspaper towel and alcohol multiple times. But some ink still may remain.
- Nail Polish Remover- Pour some nail polish on the surface and dab with a clean paper towel. Then rub the paper towel in over the permanent marker area until the stain gets clean. If the little bit of stain remains then again repeat the process.
5.) Flatscreen (TV or Computer)
Be careful while cleaning the delicate screen. You can use regular toothpaste, but don’t use gel toothpaste or baby wipes to remove permanent marker. You would try to clean first with the baby wipes. If it doesn’t work then move on to the toothpaste.
Rub a small dollop of toothpaste on the ink spot, then let it dry. Once it will get dry then take a toothbrush and rub it on the toothpaste on the circular motion over the ink spot. Then wipe it off with a clean cloth. Repeat until the stain is gone.
6.) Remove Permanent Marker from Tile
Smooth tiles are relatively easy to clean you may have to use a bit effort to clean the textures tile. You can use a toothbrush, aerosol hairspray or magic eraser to remove permanent marker stain.
- Toothpaste- Don’t use gel toothpaste, apply some toothpaste on the stained area then let it dry. When it will get dry, wipe them off with the help of a paper towel.
- Hairspray- Spray some hair spray on the affected area and let it rub it with the help of a clean cloth, you will notice the stained area getting fade. Then clean the residue with the help of clean water.
7.) Remove Permanent Marker from Paper
Every child usually does the on their library books and their books. If they do at some point so there is a solution to this problem. you just only need to use nail polish remover onto the stain. Make sure not to saturate the paper. Then soak up the nail polish remover with the help of a clean towel. Repeat his process until the stain is gone.
8.) Remove Permanent Marker from Walls
Walls are the favorite drawing surface of every child and they are usually affected if you have children are your home. But you can remove that stains with the help of hairspray, toothpaste or citrus juice
But be careful while rubbing wall, because if you will rub too hard you might remove the paint off the wall, especially while using magic eraser. It is better to dab the stain rather than rubbing it. don’t spread the marker out any farther.
9.) Remove Permanent Marker from Granite
Granite can be such a finicky material to clean. You can use rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide to remove permanent marker. But be sure not to leave them for too long as they ca prevent etching the granite. You just need to apply the hydrogen peroxide to clean towel and use this to scrub the stain for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then again rub the granite until the stain gets clean.
10.) Remove Permanent Marker from Laminate
Laminate is generally super smooth so it would be easy to clean. You can clean the laminate using regular toothpaste, but don’t use gel toothpaste or mix it with a little amount of baking soda. Moreover, You can also use a magic eraser or rubbing alcohol.
You can also have a look at the following articles: