Toenail fungus is a very common problem among people. Toenail fungus is also known as Onychomycosis. Toenail fungus is an infection that starts as yellow or white spot under the tip of your toenail or fingernail. Toenail fungus can hurt you. Due to fungal infection in toenail your nail turns into thickening, discolored and crumble at the edge. It can affect other nails but usually not all the nails. Toenail fungus can occur due to abnormal pH levels of the skin, continuous exposure to moisture and a weakened immune system. Toenail fungus can spread when your toenail comes in contact with an object that has been contacted with an infected toenail or by sharing clothes and shoes with an infected person. If you don’t treat it, then it could spread to other toenails, fingernails, and even skin. It is quite difficult to treat toenail fungus, but here in this article, we will discuss some home remedies for toenail fungus treatment. Using home remedies is one of the effective ways to treat toenail fungus or foot fungus.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus:
- Brittle, ragged or crumbly
- Distorted in shape
- A dark color which is caused by debris.
Causes of Toenail Fungus:
- Nail injury
- Weak immune system
- Wear tight shoes or closed toe shoes such as boots or tennis shoes.
- Skin injury around the nail
- Not keeping your feet clean and dry
- Due to certain health problems such as psoriasis, diabetes or peripheral arterial disease.
Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus Treatment:
- Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus Treatment:
- 1.) Get Rid of Toenail Fungus with Coconut Oil
- 2.) Get Rid of Toenail Fungus with Vinegar Fast
- 3.) Tea Tree Oil to Cure Toenail Fungus Naturally and Fast
- 4.) Listerine Mouthwash to Prevent Toenail Fungus
- 5.) Orange Oil to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast
- 6.) Garlic to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Naturally and Fast
- 7.) Lemon Juice to Prevent Toenail Fungus Fast
- 8.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Toenail Fungus Treatment
- 9.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus at Home
- 10.) Oil of Oregano to Cure Toenail Fungus Fast
1.) Get Rid of Toenail Fungus with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus treatment and for your skin as well. Coconut oil contains Caprylic acid, which has the ability to fight against fungi.
Steps to Use Coconut Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus Naturally:
- Take some coconut oil and apply it to the infected areas.
- Allow it to soak for 15 minutes.
- Apply it daily until the infection is gone.
2.) Get Rid of Toenail Fungus with Vinegar Fast
White vinegar is one of the best and effective remedies for toenail fungus treatment. White vinegar fights the infection and maintains the skin’s pH.
Steps to Use White Vinegar to Treat Toenail Fungus Fast:
- Add 1 part of white vinegar to 2 parts of warm water.
- Soak your affected toenail in this solution for 15 minutes.
- Then, wash your toenail and dry it thoroughly.
- Repeat it 2 times a day until the fungus is gone.
3.) Tea Tree Oil to Cure Toenail Fungus Naturally and Fast
Tea tree oil is one of the great remedies for all toenail fungus treatment. It works as a fungicide and antiseptic remedy for treating toenail fungus.
Steps to Use Tea Tree Oil to Cure Toenail Fungus Fast:
- Take a few drops of tea tree oil and mix it with 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Apply this mixture with a cotton ball on the infected toenail.
- Keep it for ten minutes and then scrub the toenail with a toothbrush.
- Repeat it 2 or 3 times a day until you get relief from toenail fungus.
4.) Listerine Mouthwash to Prevent Toenail Fungus
Listerine mouthwash helps to kill bacteria and germs in the mouth. You can also use it to treat toenail fungus. This mouthwash has many compounds and alcohol as well that work as a strong antiseptic to keep the harmful bacteria and fungi away.
Steps to Use Listerine Mouthwash to Treat Toenail Fungus:
- Take a small tub and fill it with Listerine mouthwash and white vinegar.
- Soak your feet in this solution for half an hour and scrub your infected toenail.
- Wash your feet and dry the affected feet thoroughly.
- Repeat this method once or twice daily until the infection is gone.
5.) Orange Oil to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast
The anti-fungal properties in orange oil help to treat infected toenails. Orange oil can have side effects and can cause allergic reactions, so try to test it before using this remedy.
Steps to Use Orange Oil to Prevent Toenail Fungus Naturally:
- Apply orange oil between your toes and under your toenails with a dropper.
- If you have sensitive skin, then you can also dilute the essential oil with grape seed oil.
- Leave it for half an hour.
- Apply it 2 or 3 times daily until you see the best results.
6.) Garlic to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Naturally and Fast
Garlic is one of the best and effective home remedies for toenail fungus treatment. Garlic is known for its antifungal properties that can help to cure toenail fungus.
Steps to Use Garlic to Treat Toenail Fungus Naturally:
- Add garlic oil to an equal amount of white vinegar.
- Apply this solution on the infected toenail and cover it with a bandage.
- Keep it for a few hours before removing the bandage.
- Apply this oil daily until the infection is gone.
- You can also eat 1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves daily.
7.) Lemon Juice to Prevent Toenail Fungus Fast
Lemon juice is one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus treatment. Lemon contains antifungal and antiseptic properties. Lemon juice contains citric acid helps to prevent the toenail fungus from spreading.
Steps to Use Lemon Juice to Treat Toenail Fungus:
- Extract the juice from a lemon and apply it on the affected toenail.
- Leave it for 30 minutes before washing it with warm water.
- Another method is to mix equal amount of olive oil and lemon juice. Use this solution to massage the affected area. Leave it for a few hours before washing it off. The olive oil helps to soften the skin while the lemon juice will help to control the fungal infection.
- Repeat either of these remedies daily until the infection is gone.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Toenail Fungus Treatment
Apple cider vinegar is the effective home remedy for treating all skin infections including toenail fungus. ACV is mild acidic and can help to prevent toenail infection from spreading. It also kills fungi and bacteria.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Toenail Fungus:
- Take equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water. Then mix them well and soak your infected toenail in this mixture for half an hour daily.
- After that, dry your toenail thoroughly. Use it daily for a few weeks and you will notice the best results.
- Another method is to make an antifungal scrub by grounding rice flour with a few tsp of apple cider vinegar. Apply this paste on the affected nail and gently scrub the affected area. Do this method few times a week. This home remedy will help to remove the dead skin cells and keep your skin soft.
9.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus at Home
Baking soda is one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus treatment. It also helps to neutralize the foot odor.
Steps to Use Baking Soda to Prevent Toenail Fungus:
- Take one-half cup of Epsom salt, one-half cup of baking soda, and one-fourth cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Now add these ingredients to 4 cups of hot water. Mix them well and then mix one-fourth cup of white vinegar to it.
- Put your affected toenail in this solution for ten minutes.
- Wash your foot with clean water and dry them thoroughly.
- Repeat it twice daily for several weeks.
10.) Oil of Oregano to Cure Toenail Fungus Fast
Oregano oil is very effective for treating toenail fungus as it contains antiviral, antiparasitic, antiseptic and antifungal properties.
Steps to Use Oregano Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus Naturally:
- Add 2 drops of oregano oil to 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Apply this solution to the infected toenail.
- Leave it for half an hour and then wash your toenail properly.
- Repeat it once or twice daily for 3 weeks to get positive results.
Additional Tips to Prevent Toenail Fungus:
- Don’t share socks and towels with other people and wash your towels regularly.
- Keep your feet and hands clean.
- Wear well-fitting shoes and clean cotton socks.
- Keep your nails short.
- Don’t walk barefoot in public showers, pools and locker rooms.
- Don’t wear old footwear as they can cause toenail fungus.
- You can also take antifungal tablets to treat toenail fungus.
- Don’t wear artificial nails and nail polish.