If you know how to read a body language then you can be a better judge to read what is going on in a person’s mind and it can helpful to figure out whether a person is lying or not? Non-verbal messages are more genuine to convey or read true feelings of someone. We have arranged a basic guide to understand body language which will help you to interpret other’s feelings. Well, it may not be accurate every time you need years of practice to interpret hundred percent correct every time.
Steps to Understand Body Language
- Steps to Understand Body Language
- 1.) Understand Eyes to Understand Body Language
- 2.) Head Movement to Understand Body Language
- 3.) Facial Gestures to Understand Body Language
- 4.) Leg Placement Helps to Understand Body Language
- 5.) Shoulder Position to Understand Body Language
- 6.) Arms and Wrist Position
- 7.) Body Posture
- 8.) Distance
- Few Other Body Languages
1.) Understand Eyes to Understand Body Language
In body language, you need to observe how every different part of the face and the whole body acts. Eyes are a great way to express your feelings to others. Various things which eyes do can help you to know what other person is thinking and whether he or she is interested or not? Read given below points to know which gesture of eye means what?
- When firm eye contact is made then that person is said to be confident and brave.
- Looking straight in someone’s eye also says that you want to know more about them.
- When a straight look is not followed by a smile then it can seen as a form to express anger.
- When you avoid eye contact then it means that you are either not comfortable looking in someone’s eye because you are not enough confident or you are hiding something from them.
- Eyes down can be interpreted as the perosn is thinking.
- Wide opened eyes are sign of shock and being amazed at any fact.
- Rolling eyes upwards can mean that person is thinking about the situation.
- Pupil size also gives a great clue to understand body language. Emotion also changes the size of the pupil. When someone gets atrracted to a person then their pupil gets dilates.
- Rapid blinking also suggests that a person is feeling distressed or uncomfortable.
2.) Head Movement to Understand Body Language
Head movements also tell about the mood of people. It tells how much a person is interested or whether he or she is ashamed or not?
- Head down can be linked with feeling ashamed. When a person’s head is down it means he or she does not want to look at anyone or they do not want anyone to look at them.
- Head up is the sign of confidence. That is why people are said to keep their head high to show confidence.
- Head turned towards someone can mean that you are interested in that person or that thing. You want to know more about it.
- One sided head suggests that one person is listening with full interest and attention.
3.) Facial Gestures to Understand Body Language
Your facial gestures say a lot about you. When you want to understand body language then reading facial gestures are very much important. Know few of these facial gestures given below:
- Smiling means you like what other is proposing or yu are happy to see them.
- A wink says it is between you two or it can even be a flirty gesture.
- A long ear to ear smile enterpret that you are feeling very happy.
- A sfrown says that you are very unhappy or bored.
- Dropping jaws express that you are not believing it.
- Biting lips can be flirty and a sign of nervousness both. It depends if you look at someone while biting your lip then it means you are flirting with that person otherwise you are nervous.
- Covering of mouth will say that you are hiding an emotional reaction. people often hide their mouth to hide their smirk or blush.
- Mouth turned up indicates that a person is feeling happy and optimistic and mouth turned down means a person is feeling sad or feeling of disapproval.
- Pursed lip indicates the feeling of disapproval, distaste or distrust.
4.) Leg Placement Helps to Understand Body Language
Your leg placement is also part of how you think and it helps you to understand body language better.
- Holding legs closed together is the sign of modesty.
- Keeping legs apart says you are not very modest.
- Crossed legs suggests that you need privacy and feeling closed.
5.) Shoulder Position to Understand Body Language
A shoulder position also tells about your mood. It tells if you are relaxed or alert. A person who is good at reading body language can tell if a person is relaxed, open to meet new people or not.
- Open and wide shoulder interpret your friendly behaviour and you are open to meet new people.
- Closed and hunched shoulders pass on a message that you want people to leave you alone and are not interested in meeting anyone.
6.) Arms and Wrist Position
Like Legs arms and Fists also helps you to understand someone’s body language.
- Clasping hands behind your back indicates you are feeling anxious, bored or angry.
- Tapping fingers rapidly or fidgeting interprets that you are impaitent, bored or frustrated.
- Hands on hips on standing position says that a person is ready is in control and ready. Sometimes it also means the gesture of being angry.
- Crossed arms means you are felling self-protective, defensive or closed off.
- A clenched fist means solidarity and anger.
- Thumbs up and thumbs down means as a gesture of approval and disapproval respectively.
- The V sign made by index and middle finger suggests peace or victory.
7.) Body Posture
How one holds their bodies can tell a lot about the person’s mood and their personality. It is a prominent part to understand body language.
A posture means how one holds their body and how is an over all physical form of that individual. Posture can also tell about the characteristics of the person and how confident they are feeling.
- Sitting straight means that a person is attentive and focused on what is going on. A lose body suggests that person is not taking interest in whatever is going on in his or her surrounding.
- Open posture means when a person keeps his or her body open rather than closed. an open or exposed posture indicates that person is friendly and open minded.
- Closed posture or hiding indicates that person is not interested in making friends. It also indicates the lack of hostility and anxiety.
Space between two persons can tell a lot about their relationship. People often maintain a personal space when they are not that much close.
When two person speaks and talks the space between then can tell about their relationship a lot.
- Close Space that is the distance between six to eighteen inches can tell that two involved people are having a close relationship. They are comfortable with each other. You can find them hugging, touching and whispering.
- The distance which is between 1.5 to 4 feet can be found among close friends and family members.
- Social Space or the distance between 4 to 12 feet can tell that individuals are meeting in a formal way. This distance is seen in public speaking situations.
Few Other Body Languages
- Hand on cheeks indicates that one person is very much busy in his or her thoughts. When one of your hand is on your cheek then you may be in the deep level of your thoughts.
- Biting nails indicate stress, insecurity or nervousness. Many people have this habit of biting nail and they do not realize that they are doing it.
- Touching nose interprets rejection, disbelief or lying.
- Rubbing hands together are done when one feel cold. It is also done when one person is excited about something or eagerly waiting for something.
- Placing finger tip together means authority and control. This body language indicates that they are in control.
- Open palms are a great sign of sincerity, submission, innocence and honesty. That is why in church people show their submission to god by placing their palm open upwards.
- Ankle Locking suggests that person is nervous.
- Stroking chin indicated that person is having deep thoughts.