Feeling irritation or itching in the eyes is one of the main symptoms of pink eye and also known as conjunctivitis. ‘Pink eye’ this term may sound scary, but it is not a big problem as it is very common eye problem. It is commonly caused by bacterial and viral infection. In case of bacterial infection, it may affect both the eyes and the pus drained from the eyes. In the case of viral infection, it affects one eye first and after some days it affects the other eye. The discharge from the eyes is watery and clear. While in allergic conjunctivitis, it affects both the eyes and causing clear and watery eyes. It lasts for seven to ten days. This article provides you few best remedies to get rid of pink eye.
The medical term used for pink eye is ‘Conjuctivitis’. It is an infection or inflammation inside the eyelids and covers the white part of the eye. When the small blood vessels in the eye become inflamed or infected, then the white part of your eye becomes reddish or pink. It is an irritating condition with symptoms like tearing, itching, redness, burning sensations and inflammation in the eyes. Pink eye treatment depends on the type of conjunctivitis.
Causes of Pink Eye:
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis: This type of conjunctivitis is caused by bacteria that can cause serious damage to the eye if it is not treated.
- Viral Conjunctivitis: This type of conjunctivitis is caused by a virus like a cold. This type of pink eye is contagious, but it recovers on its own within many days without any treatment.
- Allergic Conjunctivitis: This type of conjunctivitis is caused by eye irritants such as dust, animal dander and pollen.
Symptoms of Pink Eye:
- Swelling of the eyelids.
- Burning sensation in the eyes.
- Itching in the eyes
- Watery eyes
- Redness in the white part of the eye.
- Whitish drainage
How Do You Get Pink Eye?
- How Do You Get Pink Eye?
- How Long Does Pink Eye Last?
- Best Remedies to Get Rid of Pink Eye:
- 1.) Allergic Medicines to Treat Pink Eye Fast
- 2.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
- 3.) Saline Solution to Cure Pink Eye Fast and Naturally
- 4.) Cold or Warm Compress to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
- 5.) Eyebright to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
- 6.) Black Tea to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
- 7.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
- 8.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
- 9.) Milk and Honey to Prevent Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
- 10.) Calendula to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally
Pink eye is also referred to as Conjuctivities or Bloodshot. Pink eye is the result of bacterial and viral infection. Pink eye can be triggered by makeup, eye drops, pollen, smoke, air pollution and dust mites. It is very common among people who have fever and other allergic diseases. You will feel pain and you are not able to see properly while having conjunctivitis. Pink eye is viral and it should be treated on time.
How Long Does Pink Eye Last?
Pink eye is caused by common bacterial and viral infection. Pink eye or conjunctivitis can be treated within a few days to 2 weeks.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of Pink Eye:
1.) Allergic Medicines to Treat Pink Eye Fast
For allergic conjunctivitis, there is allergic medication which helps to clear the symptoms of pink eye. You will get relief within several hours or a few days. Use an antihistamine as it reduces the chemicals called histamines in the body. You can also use a decongestant as it controls the inflammation. It can help to prevent eye tissue from getting infected.
2.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
Boric acid is one of the most excellent home remedies for various eye problems such as burning sensation, dryness, redness and tearing. It has mild antifungal and antibacterial properties that help to cleanse the eyes and soothes eye irritation.
Steps to Use Boric Acid to Treat Pink Eye:
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Now, add 1 tsp of boric acid in it.
- Use this water to wash your eyes or you can apply it on the eye with cotton balls.
- Use lukewarm water to wash your infected eyes.
- Repeat this method 2 to 3 times a day.
3.) Saline Solution to Cure Pink Eye Fast and Naturally
Using saline solution is one of the most popular home remedies for pink eye as it acts as a natural disinfectant.
Steps to Use Saline Solution to Get Rid of Pink Eye:
- Boil a cup of distilled water by mixing 1 tsp of salt.
- Let it cool and then use it for eyewash by using an eye dropper.
- Repeat this method many times a day.
- You can also use sea salt to treat pink eye. Take 1 tsp of sea salt and add it to the warm water. Put 2 to 3 drops of this solution in the infected eye. Follow this remedy 2 times a day.
4.) Cold or Warm Compress to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
A cold compress and warm compress are used to treat the symptoms of pink eye such as itching and swelling. Warm compress also helps to soothe the eyes. It also prevents the discharge from the eyes. Using cold compress or warm compress is one of most effective home remedies to cure pink eye.
Steps to Use Warm Compress or Cold Compress:
- Take a clean cloth and soak it in cold water or hot water.
- Now, squeeze out the water and place it to the affected eyes.
- Keep it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this method 3 to 4 times in a day.
5.) Eyebright to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
Eyebright is one of the most effective natural remedies for treating eye problems such as bloodshot, pink eye, weeping eyes and strained eyes. It has antibacterial and astringent qualities that helps to cure pink eye.
Steps to Use Eyebright to Treat Pink Eye Naturally:
- Boil a cup of water mixed with 5 drops of eyebright tincture. Then use this water to wash your infected eyes.
- An alternate method, boil 1 tsp of eyebright herb in one cup of water for ten minutes. Allow it to cool and strain this solution. Use this eyebright solution for eyewash. You can also add rose-water to this solution. Repeat this process in every 4 hours.
- You can also prepare eyebright tea and drink it.
6.) Black Tea to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
Using black tea is one of the best home remedies for treating pink eye fast. Black tea contains tannins that help to reduce inflammation and itching. Also, black tea contains bioflavonoids that help to treat bacterial and viral infections.
Steps to Use Black Tea to Cure Pink Eye:
- Put cooled and moist black tea bags on your infected eyes for ten minutes. Do it 3 to 4 times a day in every few hours. You can also use chamomile tea bags and green tea bags.
- You can also use a weak solution of black tea for eyewash.
7.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast
Apple cider vinegar helps to fight an infection that causing pink eye due to containing antimicrobial properties.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Add 2 tsp of organic apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Dip a cotton ball in this solution.
- Close your infected eye and clean it with the cotton ball.
- Repeat it in every few hours to get relief from pink eye.
8.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
Aloe vera helps to cure conjunctivitis as it contains antibiotic and astringent properties. It also helps to reduce itching and inflammation.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Treat Pink Eye Naturally:
- Take an aloe vera leaf and extract the chunks of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Now, soak it in a cup of cooled boiled water until it turns into pale green. You can also blend the chunks with water in a blender.
- Put a few drops of this solution in the infected eye, 3 to 4 times in a day. You can also use this aloe vera gel for eyewash to get relief from itching and redness in the eye.
9.) Milk and Honey to Prevent Pink Eye Naturally and Fast
Milk and honey is one of the best home remedies for treating pink eye naturally. Milk calms the inflammation and has a soothing effect. Honey has antimicrobial properties that help to prevent bacterial infections, causing pink eye.
Steps to Use Milk and Honey to Cure Pink Eye Naturally:
- Take 1 tbsp of whole milk and slightly heat it.
- Add equal amount of organic honey to it and stir it well.
- Put 2 to 3 drops of this mixture in the infected eye using a dropper.
- Keep it overnight and repeat it in every night for several days.
10.) Calendula to Get Rid of Pink Eye Naturally
Calendula is a herb that helps to treat conjunctivitis naturally. Calendula helps to fight infection and heal conjunctivitis due to the presence of antibacterial and antiviral properties. It also works as an anti inflammatory that soothes irritation and discomfort in the eye.
Steps to Use Calendula to Cure Pink Eye Naturally:
- Boil a cup of water and add 2 tsp of dried calendula flowers to it.
- Allow it to steep and cool.
- Then strain this solution through a clean paper or cheesecloth.
- Use this solution to wash your eyes several times in a day to get relief from the conjunctivitis.