After writing, how to get rid of an earache?, how to get rid of a headache?, and how to get rid of stomach ache?, we are now writing the home remedies to cure an ear infection. Ear infection is caused by bacteria and viruses in the middle ear. It occurs more often in children than the adults. In this article, you will read the best home remedies to cure an ear infection naturally. Some factors that can lead to ear infections are upper respiratory infections, wax build-up, food allergies, fetal alcohol syndrome, environmental allergies etc. Some common sign that someone is suffering from an ear infection are pain in the ear, difficulty sleeping, high fever, poor response to sounds fluid draining from the ear, diarrhea, and vomiting. Many infections clear up on their own with 3-4 days, else you can follow the remedies in this article to get rid of an ear infection. Sometimes most severe cases may require prescription antibiotics to cure an ear infection completely.
Home Remedies to Cure an Ear Infection – Get Rid of an Ear Infection
- Home Remedies to Cure an Ear Infection – Get Rid of an Ear Infection
- 1.) Garlic Will Help
- 2.) Use The Basil
- 3.) Treat With Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4.) Use The Olive Oil
- 5.) Warm Water Bottle or Warm Compress
- 6.) Use The Warm Salt
- 7.) Use The Onion Juice
- 8.) Make Use of Tea Tree Oil
- 9.) Mango Leaf Juice
- 10.) Apply The Breast Milk
- 11.) Mullein Drops for Ear Infection
- 12.) Use The Essential Oil
- 13.) Use Cod Liver
- 14.) Probiotics Will Help
- 15.) Have Elderberry Syrup
1.) Garlic Will Help
Best remedy that is readily available to cure an ear infections is garlic. Garlic is packed with the antimicrobial properties that stops the growth of the bacteria that causes infections. Moreover, it is considered as naturally pain killer. Thus, it is one of the best home remedies for ear infections.
- Heat a tablespoon of sesame, or mustard oil, after a few minutes add a few bulbs of garlic into the oil. Once the garlic turns red, switch of the burner and remove the pain from the burner.
- Let this oil cool a bit then strain the oil. When the oil is cool enough put, a few drops of this oil in your ear.
- Alternatively, boil some cloves of the garlic in water. Once they turn soft and tender, remove them from the burner, crush them add some salt to it. Pit this mixture in a washcloth and dab the cloth on the infected area.
- In addition to this, chew some fresh cloves of garlic early in the morning. It is good for stomach as well.
2.) Use The Basil
Basil leaves are probably a holy grail for number of health conditions like cold, cough, fever, runny nose and ear infections as well. The leaves are packed with curative and medicinal properties that helps to cure the infection and residing pain due to it as well. You can also use basil to treat a minor earache and ear infection. It can help to relieve ear pain and reduce infection.
- Crush four to five fresh basil leave and gently extract the juice from it. apply this juice on or around the ear. Be careful when applying and avoid the juice getting in the ear canal.
- You can also use another method. You can mix few drops of holy basil oil with an equal amount of carrier oil such as coconut oil. Take a cotton ball and soak in this mixture and gently wipe just inside the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear. Repeat the process twice a day to cure an ear infection.
3.) Treat With Apple Cider Vinegar
It is considered as one of the best option due to apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and anti fungal properties. To get rid of the fungus that may be causing the ear pain, you can use apple cider vinegar.
- You need to mix one part of apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of alcohol or water. Take a cotton ball and soak in this solution. Put this cotton ball in your ear like a plug and leave it for about five minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and lay down on your opposite side to drain the liquid from the ear. Then use a hair dryer to dry your ear as much as possible.
- If you don’t have apple cider vinegar so you can use white vinegar. If the cause of the ear infection is in the Eustachian tube, so you can try gargling with apple cider vinegar.
4.) Use The Olive Oil
Olive oil is one of the best home remedies for ear infections because it helps to clean the ear and inhibits the bacteria growth. The prime cause of the ear infections is the formation of the ear wax. It catches the bacteria and soon it spreads and blocks the Eustachian tubes. Thus, olive oil comes handy.
- Heat a table spoon of olive oil. Remove it from the burner after a while. Leave the oil at the room temperature. After a few minutes when the oil is cool enough put a few drops of olive oil into your ear.
- After putting the oil in the ear, use an earbud to clean your ear canal. Do this carefully with hurting yourself.
- Repeat this until you get a complete relief from the pain. You can also use mustard oil instead.
5.) Warm Water Bottle or Warm Compress
As soon as possible apply some heat on the infected ear. This will help to quickly relieve some of the pain and will also prevent microorganism infestation. It is very effective method to cure an ear infection.
- Press a heating pad or warm water bottle against the ear. You can also use a warm compress. you will need to dip a washcloth in the lukewarm water and ring out the excess water, then place the washcloth on the infected ear.
- Keep in mind to not to apply heat to the ear for long periods of time. start with five minutes, remove the heat for a while and then repeat the process as needed.
6.) Use The Warm Salt
Salt is probably the most readily available remedy to get rid of an ear infection.
- Heat up one cup of salt in a pan over low heat for a few minutes. you can also heat this in a microwave or double boiler. Place the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end with rubber band
- When it is bearly hot, lay down and put the cloth on the affected ear for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use this remedy daily as many times as needed. The heat generated from the sock will help to draw out the fluid from the ear and relieve swelling and pain.
- Or you can use another method. Use one of rice in the same manner as salt use.
7.) Use The Onion Juice
Onion is a very common ingredient used in cooking. It has too many medical uses, including for the treatment of an ear infection. It is very effective to cure an ear infection.
- Chop one small piece of onion, put it in a bowl and microwave it for about one to two minutes. Let it cool and then strain out the onion juice. Put two to three drops of this onion juice in the infected ear and leave it for some time and then turn your head to let it drain out of your ear.
- Else, you can bake an onion for about half an hour. Cut it into two halves and put one-half in a thick cotton cloth. Place the cloth on the infected ear for about five minutes. wait for 10 minutes and then repeat the process.
8.) Make Use of Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has mild antibacterial properties that can give instant relief from an earache. To cure an ear infection you need to follow these steps.
- Mix three drops of tea tree oil, a teaspoon of colloidal silver, two tablespoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Warm this mixture slightly.
- Lay on your side with your head on a towel. Fill your ear with the mixture using a dropper and let it sit for about five minutes. Turn and lay on another side so that the mixture the drains out of your ear completely.
- Use this remedy two to three times a day for about two days to cure an ear infection.
9.) Mango Leaf Juice
Mango leaf juice is a quick and effective remedy to treat an ear infection.
- You need to crush or grind two to three mango leaves to extract the juice out of it. then slightly warm the juice.
- Put three to four drops of the juice into the infected ear using a dropper. You will feel relief from the pain within a few minutes. Use this remedy two to three times a day for to get full relief from an ear infection.
10.) Apply The Breast Milk
Breast milk has natural antibodies that can help to speed up the healing process from any kind of ear infection. It will help to reduce the swelling and discomfort caused by an ear infection and can get rid of an ear infection within one or two days. this remedy is very effective and works for both adults and children.
Out a few drops of breast milk into the affected ear using a dropper. Use this remedy in every few hours as needed. Breast milk can also be used to treat eye infections, minor burns, and minor cuts.
11.) Mullein Drops for Ear Infection
Mullein is a wild plant, whose flower is used to treat ear infection. It has curative and medicinal properties that comes handy to get rid of the pain and the infection caused in the ear.
- Boil a glass of water, add some mullein flowers to it. Once the water is boiled remove it from the gas or microwave.
- Leave the water to cool down at the room temperature. Then strain the water. Mix some olive oil with the water. Leave it for a night. Next morning put this solution in the ears with the help of a dropper.
- Repeat this several times until you get considerable relief.
12.) Use The Essential Oil
Essential oil such as rosemary, eucalyptus, oregano, lavender, thyme and chamomile oil are used to heal the ear infection. These oils have curative and medicinal properties that helps to corn the infection and stops the growth of the bacteria that leads infection.
- Massage any of the above listed oil around the infected ear and jaw line to get rid of ear infection.
- You can also prepare a mixture of all these oils and use it to massage around the ears.
- Follow this remedy until you get a considerable relief.
13.) Use Cod Liver
One of the cause of ear infection is vitamin A deficiency. Cod liver oil is great source of vitamin A thus it helps to get rid of the infections Ans sustaining symptoms.
- Use cod liver oil while preparing your food.
- Alternatively, you can have supplements of cod liver as well.
- Also, consume foods high in vitamin A to curb the deficiency.
14.) Probiotics Will Help
Probiotics helps to strengths the immune system. A strong immune system is devoid of infections and allergies. Moreover, probiotics have good bacteria that inhibits the growth of the bacteria that leads the infection. Thus it is one of the best home remedies for ear infections. Consume foods rich in probiotics. You can also have supplements of probiotics.
15.) Have Elderberry Syrup
Elderberry syrup is also considered as one of the best home remedies for ear infections. It has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition to this, it supports the immune system as well. Consume this syrup to get rid of infections.