Sciatica is a pain caused by irritation or compression of the sciatic nerve. It usually affects only one part of the body but tends to be severe and debilitating. The pain usually extends form the lower back to the rear of the thigh and down through the leg. Sciatic nerve pain is accompanied by symptoms like tingling down the leg, shooting pain that causes difficulty in standing up or sitting down and weakness and numbness down the affected leg and even in the toes. It is most often caused by herniated or slipped disc. Sciatica pain can also be caused by issues like spinal injury or infection, pregnancy, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis etc. although there are many conventional treatments for sciatica, but they only ease the pain temporarily. You can use some home remedies for sciatica.
Home Remedies for Sciatica
- Home Remedies for Sciatica
- 1.) Hot Compress to Treat Sciatica
- 2.) Massage to Get Rid of Sciatica
- 3.) Exercise to Cure Sciatica
- 4.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Sciatica
- 5.) Capsaicin Cream to Treat Sciatica
- 6.) Valerian Root to Cure Sciatica
- 7.) Fenugreek seeds to Treat Sciatica
- 8.) White willow bark to Treat Sciatica Naturally
- 9.) Acupuncture to Get Rid of Sciatica Naturally
- 10.) Spinal manipulation to Treat Sciatica
1.) Hot Compress to Treat Sciatica
Using a cold and hot compress can help to relieve sciatica inflammation and pain. Heat treatment help to relax tense muscles that may be compressing the sciatic nerve. It is one of the best home remedies for sciatica.
- On the other hand, cold treatment reduces the swelling around the nerve and also numb the pain.
- You can also alternate heat and cold, just like starting with the hot compress and ending with the cold compress. when you are using heat use moist heat like a steamed towel as it is more effective.
- You need to place a hot or cold pack on the affected area for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use this treatment every few hours until you get relief.
- If you have a circulatory problem so don’t use a cold compress.
2.) Massage to Get Rid of Sciatica
Massage therapy can help to relieve from sciatica pain and also help the body to heal itself, especially if the problem is caused by a muscle spasm. It also helps to release tension and stimulate circulation and increase the range of motion.
- Take st john’s wort oil and massage from this oil for about 2 to 3 times a day until you get relief from this. St john’s wort has anti-inflammatory properties that help to give relief from sciatica pain and inflammation. It is one of the best home remedies for sciatica.
- You can also try another option. Take 1 cup of sesame oil and add 3 tablespoons of nutmeg powder. Then heat the mixture and let it cool. Massage the affected area with this mixture when it will get comfortably warm. Use this remedy few times a day for a few weeks to see the positive result.
- You can also do trigger point massage therapy at least once a day. pain in the lower back, side of the thigh and buttocks is often associated with trigger points in the gluteus medius and minimus muscles.
3.) Exercise to Cure Sciatica
Maintaining normal activity is highly beneficial if area dealing with sciatica. After one or two days of sciatica flare up, you can start a regular exercise program to strengthen the back and abdominal muscles. Strengthening the core muscles will help to facilitate quick recovery. You can do knee to chest stretch to help to reduce the irritation of the sciatic nerve and improve the flexibility of your lower back. It is one of the best home remedies for sciatica.
- To perform the exercise you need to low on your back on a mat, keep your feet straight and hip apart.
- Keep your upper body relaxed and bend your right knee upwards with an inhale.
- Clasp your hand behind the thigh and gently pull them towards your chest as far as is comfortable.
- Keep the other leg flat on the surface.
- Hold this position for about 20 seconds with controlled deep breaths and then gently lower your leg.
- Switch legs and repeat the process.
- Do this 3 to 5 times.
- Finally, do this exercise with both legs 3 to 4 times.
- Do an exercise like knees rocking, spinal rolling, floor twists, back extensions, back block, sciatic mobilizing stretches and certain yoga poses like pigeon pose and cat cow pose to help relieve sciatica and lower back pain. You can also try spinal decompression exercise as well.
- You can even consult your doctor to help implement the right exercise program for your case.
4.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Sciatica
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for sciatica because it has its anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin is a compound present in turmeric which helps to reduce nerve pain and inflammation.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric in one cup of milk. You can also add a small cinnamon stick in it. Boil the solution. It you want to sweeten the drink so you can honey in it and drink it once or twice a day until you see improvement.
- Or you can 250 to 500 mg of turmeric supplements three times a day for several weeks. First, consult your doctor.
- If you are taking a blood-thinning supplement so don’t use these remedy. Those who are suffering from gallstones so you should avoid this.
5.) Capsaicin Cream to Treat Sciatica
Capsaicin is an active ingredient present in cayenne pepper that works as a natural pain reliever. It is one of the best home remedies for sciatica. It helps to reduce the levels of a neurotransmitter called substance P which transport pain signals.
- Purchase a cream or ointment that contain 0.025% to 0.075% capsaicin.
- Apply it on the affected area three to four times a day at least for one week to get a positive result.
6.) Valerian Root to Cure Sciatica
Valerian is one of the best home remedies for sciatica that works as a relaxant and relieves chronic nerve pain. It is particularly good for easing sciatica pain caused by muscle spasm.
- Volatile oil present in this herb help to relax your muscles and ease tension. It is popularly used as a sleeping aid as well.
- You need to take 150 mg of valerian root supplement up to 3 times a day for a few weeks. First, consult your doctor before taking this supplement.
- Take one teaspoon of dried valerian root and put it in one cup of hot water. Let it steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Drink this herbal tea several times a week for a few weeks.
7.) Fenugreek seeds to Treat Sciatica
Fenugreek is one of the best home remedies for sciatica due to its anti-inflammatory benefits. It also soothes rheumatoid arthritis and gout pains.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds and grind them in grinder
- Then boil the powder with enough amount of milk to get a mushy pate.
- Apply this paste on the aching area as a poultice.
- Then leave it for a few hours before rinsing it off.
- Use this remedy daily until you get relief.
8.) White willow bark to Treat Sciatica Naturally
White willow bark is one of the best home remedies for sciatica. It can also be used for long lasting pain relief. it contains phenolic glycosides with salicin, and provide analgesic and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Take a white willow bark supplement of 120 to 240 mg salicin daily for several weeks. But first, consult your doctor before taking this supplement.
9.) Acupuncture to Get Rid of Sciatica Naturally
Acupuncture is a very effective natural treatment that can help to relieve sciatica pain, relax the muscles and can help your body to heal itself. Performing acupuncture is one of the best home remedies for sciatica.
- It stimulating certain acupuncture points along with the central nervous system, in turn, it triggers the release of chemicals that either change the perception of pain or help to produce a sense of well-being.
- According to the study published in the journal of traditional Chinese Medicine in 2009 found that warmed acupuncture with heated needles help to improve the sciatica pain. A study conducted on the participant found that 17 of the 30 participants got complete relief from sciatica after acupuncture therapy.
10.) Spinal manipulation to Treat Sciatica
Chiropractic care is a popular natural treatment for neck and back pain. Chiropractic spinal manipulation includes different techniques involving rapid, short thrusts to alleviate nerve irritability response for inflammation and other symptoms associated with sciatica.
- According to the study published in the journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics in 2010 found that 60% of the participant get benefit from spinal manipulation those who were suffering from sciatica to the same degree as a surgical intervention could have provided.
- You need to consult a doctor of chiropractic medicine for the proper treatment, depending on the exact cause of your sciatica pain.