A stiff neck is a common problem which often occurs due to sleeping in an awkward position, prolonged sitting front of computer, or straining a muscle due to bad posture or carrying heavy loads that put too much pressure on the shoulders there are also other causes such as anxiety and stress that create tension in the neck muscles, injury or trauma that affects the neck, and some diseases such as meningitis, rheumatoid or cancer. The main symptoms of stiff neck are soreness, pain and difficulty in moving the neck, especially when trying to turn the head to the side. At times a stiff neck can also cause a headache, shoulder pain and arm pain. A stiff neck usually doesn’t indicate any serious medical problem, but it can affect your daily activities and can make it hard to sleep. Lack of sleep can make things worse.
This problem usually gets better after a few days. However, you can do some lifestyle changes and use some simple remedies to get rid of a stiff neck.
Ways to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck:
- Ways to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck:
- 1.) Massage to Treat a Stiff Neck
- 2.) Neck Exercise to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
- 3.) Peppermint Oil to Cure Stiff Neck
- 4.) Cold compress to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
- 5.) Heat therapy to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
- 6.) Cayenne Pepper to Treat Stiff Neck
- 7.) Epsom Salt to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
- 8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Siff Neck
- 9.) Acupressure to Cure Stiff Neck
- 10.) Turmeric to Treat Stiff Neck
1.) Massage to Treat a Stiff Neck
Massage is one of the best options to get rid of a stiff neck. A gentle neck massage can help to relax your muscles while increasing your blood circulation. This, in turn, will help to reduce the stiffness. It will also help you to sleep faster.
- You can take a hot shower or bath to relax your muscles.
- Then slightly warm some coconut, mustard or olive oil.
- Apply this oil on the affected area.
- Then massage using firm and gentle strokes for several minutes.
- If you cannot do the massage on your own due to your stiffness, so you can get some help from a friend or a professional massage therapist.
2.) Neck Exercise to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
Performing a various neck exercise can be highly beneficial for treating a stiff neck. It will help to relieve tension caused by the tight, strained neck muscles. This is a best remedy for pulled muscles as well.
- Keep your body relaxed and sit up straight.
- To perform this exercise nod your head forward toward your chest and upward toward the sky. Repeat this motion for a few minutes.
- Then tilt your head alternatively down toward your right shoulder and then put toward your left shoulder. Repeat this motion for a few minutes.
- Don’t turn your body and slowly turn your head and look to the right and then look to the left. Do this movement alternatively for a few minutes.
- End up your exercise with a few gentle shoulder rolls.
- Keep in mind that don’t perform any neck exercise if it hurts too much.
- To prevent a stiff neck you can go for a swimming on a regular basis. It helps to improve the overall strength of the neck and back. However make sure to follow the proper swimming techniques and don’t overdo your workout.
3.) Peppermint Oil to Cure Stiff Neck
Peppermint oil has menthol that helps to soothe the stiff muscles on the neck. It also has an analgesic property that will help to reduce the pain and discomfort. It is one of the best home remedies to get rid of a stiff neck.
- Warm 2 teaspoons of olive for a few seconds. then add few drops of peppermint essential oil in it. gently massage your affected area with this warm oil. Use this remedy twice a day for a few days to see the positive result.
- Or you can add 2 drops of peppermint oil to a big bowl filled with cold water. Then soak a washcloth in this water. Place this washcloth on the affected area for about 10 to 15 minutes. repeat this method as needed.
- Keep in mind that it is not suitable for children or for those who have sensitive skin.
4.) Cold compress to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
Soothe a stiff neck with a cold compress. The cold temperature will help to numb the pain and limit the buildup of lactic acid, it is a normal by product of muscle metabolism which can cause soreness.
- Take few ice, wrap them in a thin towel.
- Then hold the compress against the affected area of your neck for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this every 2 hours for the first 48 hours.
- You can also use a bag of frozen peas instead of ice in the same way.
5.) Heat therapy to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
If you didn’t get relief even after 48 hours of using the cold compress so you can try heat therapy. It will definitely help your, heat will help to increase the blood flow in your body, which in turn will decrease the stiffness.
- Apply a hot compress on the neck for at about 10 minutes. Repeat it 3 to 4 times a day until you get complete relief. It can be in the form of a heating pad, hot water bottle, heat wrap or a hot towel.
- Or you can stand in the shower and run warm water on your neck for about 5 minutes. Make sure to not to move your neck while doing this. Repeat this 3 to 4 times a day.
6.) Cayenne Pepper to Treat Stiff Neck
Cayenne pepper is an effective remedy to get rid of a stiff neck. Capsaicin present in it is responsible for its all properties, it has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties which help to reduce the pain and inflammation.
- Warm 2 tablespoon of olive and mix 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in it. apply this mixture on the affected area and cover it with a bandage and leave it on for a few hours. Do this for a few days
- Or you can use another method. Massage the affected area with an over the counter cream or lotion which contain cayenne pepper or capsaicin as one of its main ingredients.
- Or you can also include cayenne pepper in your cooking to speed up the recovery process.
7.) Epsom Salt to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck
It is made up of the chemical compound called magnesium sulfate, which can help to ease a stiff neck. It also help to regulate the activity of various enzymes present in the body and improves circulation. This in turn reduces the muscle tension and stress. You can also use this to treat sore neck also.
- Fill a bath tub with warm water and add 2 cups of Epsom salt in it.
- Soak in this water with your neck area submerged for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use this remedy up to 3 times a week.
- Keep in mind that don’t use this remedy if you have kidney problems or diabetes.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Siff Neck
Apple cider vinegar contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help to get rid of a stiff neck. It can also help to prevent muscle strain and pain related to nutrient deficiencies.
- Take raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar, and soak a paper napkin in it. place it on the affected area. Let it soak for a few hours. use this remedy twice a day until you feel better.
- Or you can use another method. Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in a lukewarm bathwater. Soak in the water for at least 15 minutes once a day until you recover completely.
9.) Acupressure to Cure Stiff Neck
Acupressure is a traditional Chinese treatment that can help to get rid of a stiff neck, especially if it is caused by bad posture. A therapist applies pressure to specific points to ease the pain that helps to treat sore muscles.
- Luo Zhen is the name of the acupressure point found at the back of the hand that can help to treat a stiff neck. Luco Zhen is located in the depression between the two bones near the knuckles of the middle and the pointer fingers.
- If your neck is stiff from the right side, then massage the point on your left hand and vice versa. Massage this point by applying the light pressure into it with your fingertip. Maintain the pressure for a few minutes. Exercise your neck by rotating your head side to side.
10.) Turmeric to Treat Stiff Neck
Turmeric has an anti-inflammatory property that can help to get rid of a stiff neck. It also helps to improve blood circulation.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a cup of milk. Heat it on low for about 5 minutes. allow it to cool then add a little honey to it. Drink this solution 2 times a day for a few days.
- Or you can include turmeric in your daily cooking.
- You can also use another method. You can take turmeric capsule or tablet, but first, consult your doctor before taking this remedy.
- Keep in mind that turmeric is not suitable for those who are suffering from gallstone or a bile duct obstruction.