How to use home remedies to get rid of dandruff at home? Dandruff is characterized by a condition, when the scalp becomes dry and itchy, thereby producing white flakes. Our body, including our scalp is continually shedding dead cells, when these dead cells, clump together with oil and dirt, dandruff is formed. It is not a serious problem, but can lead to other problems like skin diseases and hair loss. It’s also a source of great embarrassment for people who suffer from dandruff. The problem occurs in a person, even before his pre-teen years and continues well into the advanced age.
Causes Of Dandruff:
Dry skin- dandruff is common among people who suffer from a dry scalp. The flakes fail to stick together in a dry scalp and they happen to be smaller and more widespread.
Oily skin – On the other hand, excessive oil in the scalp is also another reason, behind dandruff build up. Oily skin, attracts more dirt, then a relatively dry skin. This makes a perfect breeding ground for yeasts. Yeasts build up, leads to more flaky skin, resulting in dandruff.
Unclean hair- Failing to clean our hair and shampooing it on a regular basis is also another big reason, behind dandruff formation. Dirt accumulates and causes dead cells, which is not conducive for a healthy hair growth.
Underlying skin conditions- Dandruff can also be a reason behind many complicated underlying skin conditions, like Psoriasis, Eczema which tends to make the skin of the hair red and itchy, thereby leading to an increase in dead cell formation, which will ultimately result in dandruff formation.
Stress- Stress is not a direct cause of dandruff, but it actually leads to a weakened immune system, which can push the body into an overdrive of shedding excessive skin cells, thereby leading to dandruff.
Food habits- the food we consume has a big role to play in our functioning. Consuming too much oily food, leads to excessive oil secretion, thereby leading to dandruff.
Hair styling products- In a bid to look good, we often use products, which are either too harsh on the hair or causes our scalp to dry up. Besides failure to clean the hair after applying different types of gels and creams also leads to dandruff.
Hormonal imbalance- Hormonal imbalance caused by some diseases, triggers a serious of reaction in the scalp, which start to produce excessive amount of oil, thereby leading to dandruff.
Allergic reaction and extreme climatic conditions- Excessive cold climate sucks the moisture out from the skin and causes dryness. On the other hand too much of heat, causes perspiration , leading to germ and dirt build up. Both the conditions are very conducive to dandruff formation. Also, many people suffer from allergic reaction to certain , food or medication , which is also a main reason behind dandruff formation.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff at Home Naturally:
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff at Home Naturally:
- 1.) Neem Leaves to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 2.) Coconut Oil and Camphor to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 3.) Fenugreek Seeds to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 4.) Aspirin Tablet to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 5.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 6.) Aloe-vera Gel to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 8.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 9.) Olive Oil Massage to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 10.) Unripe Apple to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 12.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 13.) Basil Leaves to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 14.) Henna to Get Rid of Dandruff
- 15.) Ginger and Sesame Seed Oil to Get Rid of Dandruff
Nowadays a lot of over the counter shampoos are available, which claim to help a person suffering from dandruff. However, in most of the cases, these shampoos, contain harmful chemical, which can make the hair dry and steal its natural shine. Resorting to home remedies to cure dandruff is therefore regarded as a long lasting and natural solution to cure this situation.
1.) Neem Leaves to Get Rid of Dandruff
- Neem is a great anti-bacterial agent, and help fight the yeast infection on the scalp in a big way.
- Measure one liter of water in a big pan.
- Take a handful of neem leaves and wipe them clean.
- Drop the leaves in the water and allow them to boil together for at least 10 -15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and allow the water to cool.
- Strain the water, once it has cooled down and use it to wash your scalp twice a day.
- Repeat this process for a week and you will soon see the difference.
2.) Coconut Oil and Camphor to Get Rid of Dandruff
- Take two teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Add some camphor to the oil
- Heat both of them together on low flame.
- Massage your this oil on your scalp.
3.) Fenugreek Seeds to Get Rid of Dandruff
- Fenugreek seeds is another cooling agent and can help to clean the scalp and keep it cool.
- Take a bowl of water and put a hand full of fenugreek seeds in it.
- Leave it overnight for soaking.
- Strain the seeds and don’t discard the water.
- Make a paste, of these seeds using the water.
- Apply the paste on your scalp and leave it to dry for a few hours.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat the process every week, to get significant results.
4.) Aspirin Tablet to Get Rid of Dandruff
If you are not too keen on mixing and pasting a lot of stuff, then this method will come as a welcome relief for you. It is not only simple, but also very effective.
- Take 2 aspirin tablets and crush them to make a powder.
- Mix this powder with your regular shampoo and apply it on your hair.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat the process if you feel, traces of the powder are left in your hair.
5.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Dandruff
Baking soda is a very good exfoliant and can help to clean the scalp naturally. It also helps to control excessive oil secretion from the scalp.
- Take two teaspoons of baking soda.
- Add a few drops of water to it and make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and massage it lightly.
- Rinse your hair with normal shampoo and apply a conditioner.
6.) Aloe-vera Gel to Get Rid of Dandruff
Aloe-vera gel is infused with a lot of anti- bacterial properties, which makes it a great ingredient for clearing dandruff. It also has a soothing effect on the scalp.
Aloe vera is applied on the scalp in the form of a gel. This gel can be obtained from the store or made from scratch at home. Before you apply aloe- vera gel on the scalp, make sure your scalp is oil free.
- Cut a leaf from the aloe- Vera plant.
- Carefully remove the rind with the help of a sharp knife.
- Remove the yellowish, inner layer of the leaf.
- The white gel like substance will be visible.
- Peel it off, using a spoon.
- Apply the gel, immediately.
7.) Yoghurt and Pepper to Get Rid of Dandruff
Dandruff is mainly caused by yeast, which causes the skin to flake. Yoghurt is rich in probiotics. So it is always a good idea to drive the bad yeast formation, with the good one.
- Take some pepper and grind it into a fine powder.
- Take a few teaspoons of yoghurt and whip it nicely.
- Mix the pepper, with yoghurt.
- Apply the mixture of your scalp and allow it to rest for at least one hour.
- Rinse it off, with the help of a mild shampoo.
8.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Dandruff
- Lemon juice is acidic in nature and helps to balance the pH of the skin on the scalp.
- Cut a lemon and squeeze the juice.
- Apply this juice directly on the scalp, without diluting it with any other external agent.
- Leave it on for a couple of minutes.
- Wash your hair with plain water.
9.) Olive Oil Massage to Get Rid of Dandruff
Olive oil is very helpful in treating dandruff, which flakes as a result of dry skin conditions. It is lighter and non smelly and can seep deep into the scalp, providing the required amount of nourishment to the skin.
- Take two tablespoons of olive oil in a microwave dish and microwave it for half a minute.
- Mae sure the oil is only warm and hot.
- Apply this oil on your scalp every day, before going to bed.
- Cover your head, with a plastic wrap, to ensure the oil is not rubbed off.
- Shampoo your hair the following morning.
- Repeat this process for a dandruff few shinny hair.
10.) Unripe Apple to Get Rid of Dandruff
Unripe apples have a high amount of Procyanidin B-2, which is essential, for promoting hair growth and eradicating the harmful effects of dandruff.
Take two unripe apples.
Cut them into small slices and place them in a blender.
Extract the juice and apply it on your scalp.
Even though it is an unusual remedy, it provides good relief from an itchy and flaky scalp, when used over a prolonged period of time.
12.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Dandruff
Tea tree oil has high amount of anti-fungal properties, which is necessary for reducing dandruff. Massaging this oil regularly has shown results far better than using commercially produced anti-dandruff shampoo. Make sure your scalp is clean before applying this oil.
- Message this oil on your scalp.
- Leave it for a few minutes.
- Rinse your hair using a mild shampoo.
13.) Basil Leaves to Get Rid of Dandruff
Basil is another herb, which has a high amount of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. When it is combined with amla, powder, it can work wonders for the scalp.
- Take a handful of basil leaves.
- Crush them and add them into a mixer.
- Grin the leaves and obtain a paste.
- Add some amla powder into the paste and mix well.
- Now, apply this paste on your scalp and leave it to get dry.
- Rinse with water and use a mild shampoo.
14.) Henna to Get Rid of Dandruff
Henna powder has been used in Asian countries, mainly for its dying effect. However, henna powder helps to create a protective layer over the scalp ad relieve the irritation of the skin. It cleans the excess oil from the scalp and acts as a good conditioner.
- Measure around two spoonful of henna powder in a bowl.
- Add two teaspoons of lemon juice, some tea leaves and mix well.
- Add water and make a paste.
- Now, apply this paste to your scalp and leave for a few minutes to let it dry.
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo.
15.) Ginger and Sesame Seed Oil to Get Rid of Dandruff
- Take two teaspoons of sesame seed oil.
- Grate a ginger and place it in a piece of clean cloth.
- Squeeze the juice from the cloth by pressing the tip.
- Mix both the ingredients together.
- Apply it on your scalp.
- Rinse it off after one hour after application.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Dandruff:
1.) Change your lifestyle to prevent dandruff. Adopt a balanced lifestyle. Eat nutritious food, instead of junk. Reduce the level of stress, which triggers a hormone imbalance in the body.
2.) Stay comfortable to prevent dandruff. Don’t wear uncomfortable clothes. Use cotton hats, during summer months to protect your scalp from excessive perspiration. Sleep using a humidifier, so that your skin does not become too dry.
3.) Brush your hair regularly to prevent dandruff. Make sure your hair is clean. Avoid the urge to scratch your scalp, which can lead to redness. Always dry your hair, before tying it.
4.) Soak in some sunlight to prevent dandruff. Sunlight is extremely beneficial for the body. It helps to kill the yeast formation naturally. However, make sure, that excessive exposure to UV rays can damage the hair.
5.) Keep it natural to prevent dandruff. Refrain from using too much hair spray and gels on your scalp. Avoid complicated hair styles, which require too much tugging or pulling. Use clean brushes and never share your accessories with anyone else.
6.) Eat protein rich foods, which can provide sufficient nourishment to the scalp. Food rich in zinc, vitamin B3 and omega 3 fatty acids are essential for treating dandruff.
7.) Use hot oil message to prevent dandruff. Hot oil message always helps to improve blood circulation and reduces yeast built up. It is also good for the overall health of the hair.
8.) Keep your hair clean under any given circumstances.
If the problem of dandruff persists for a pretty long time, consult a dermatologist as it might lead to other types of serious skin diseases.