The longer the hair, the older the end, thus more prone to split ends. The daily grind combing, washing, chemical treatment can cause the hair cuticle, which is the outside protective sheath of the hair’s shaft, to wear off. Once the cuticle gets damaged, the inner layer of the hair is exposed, and it becomes weakened, dehydrated and damaged, and make the hair prone to split ends. Fortunately, you can easily avoid split ends and grow your hair longer without worrying about them. Here are some tips to prevent split ends.
Ways to Prevent Split Ends:
- Ways to Prevent Split Ends:
- 1.) Get Regular Trimming to Remove Split Ends
- 2.) Oil your Hair Before you Wash Them
- 3.) Conditioner to Prevent Split Ends
- 4.) Dry Hair gently to Avoid Split Ends
- 5.) Use a wide Tooth Comb to Prevent Split Ends
- 6.) Reduce use of Heat Appliances to Reduce Split Ends
- 7.) Protect your Hair from the Elements to Prevent Split Ends
- 8.) Papaya to Avoid Split Ends
- 9.) Avocado to Prevent Split Ends
- 10.) Mayonnaise to Prevent Split Ends
1.) Get Regular Trimming to Remove Split Ends
No matter how good you look after your hair, the everyday combing, washing will cause some damage to your hair, and therefore you can’t prevent split ends entirely. A trim will be necessary at some point to control split ends. But if you will proper care of your hair so it can stretch trim appointment to every eight to twelve weeks or maybe even longer. You just need to keep a regular check on them. If you happen to see a random split end, so take a pair of scissors and cut them. Leaving them uncut is not a good idea, as it could potentially get worse and travel all the way up to the root.
- Always use sharp scissors or the ones that make for hair cuts. Using a blunt pair can fray your ends and cause more splits after a while. Keep in mind to cut about ¼ of an inch above the split. If you will not so chances are there that split might reappear.
2.) Oil your Hair Before you Wash Them
Washing and shampooing can cause damage to your hair. When your hair gets wet during shampooing, it absorbs water and swells. In this state, they are very fragile and therefore it is easier for splits or chips to occur.
- If you will oil your hair before shampooing. Oil forms a protective sheath around your hair and reduces the damage during the washing process and prevent split ends. It also nourishes your hair and helps to restore its moisture balance. Here are some of the best oil for prewash treatment are sesame oil, coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil. Apply any of your choices on the scalp and gently massage with the pads of your fingers. Finish your running finger through your hair. Keep oil for an hour and was as usual.
3.) Conditioner to Prevent Split Ends
If you have bad splits ends, then be sure to apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair. This will help you to protect your hair from the regular wear and tear that can happen due to styling, combined and also due to environmental factors.
- You don’t need to buy any fancy brand. Oil or plant butter will make an excellent leave-in conditioner to prevent split ends. Almonds, coconut olive, and jojoba are the best oil. Shea, kokum, and aloe are the best butter to use. Take a small amount of oil or butter and rub it in between your palms and apply it to damp or dry hair, focusing on the ends and leave in. this will help to smooth down frizz, flyaways and split ends and leave your hair looking beautiful and shiny. Start with little, you can always add more to adjust the needs of your hair, you will not like to your hair greasy.
4.) Dry Hair gently to Avoid Split Ends
Wet hair is vulnerable and fragile to damage. So treat them with utmost care is important. Vigorously rubbing your hair with dry towel created tangles and twists in many unnatural directions, therefore cause breakage and split ends. Gently dan the dripping hair with a towel to get rid of the excess water.
Use a cotton cloth, as they are kind to your hair and cause less friction when drying, therefore cause less damage, cotton towel also absorbs a great amount of water, so your hair will dry faster. So the next time you will wash your hair, wrap them in a soft cotton towel and leave it on for about 5 to 10 minutes, then let hair dry naturally. Your hair should be healthier and smoother.
5.) Use a wide Tooth Comb to Prevent Split Ends
The best way to detangle your hair after the shampoo is by using a wide tooth comb. Don’t tug it down your hair from the root to the tip. If you will do this, it will cause tough knots which will be hard to undo and the delicate ends will be forced to take the comb bashing, therefore cause hair breakage and split ends. Instead, start at the ends and gently work your way up. when you will encounter a tangle, stop and untangle gently with your comb or finger and then proceed.
- For tangles, you need to apply a leave in conditioner. This will help you to untangle with ease and prevent the snaps and breakage you can incur when you try to comb hair. Also, try to avoid coming until your hair is almost dry.
6.) Reduce use of Heat Appliances to Reduce Split Ends
Heat appliances such as flat iron, blow dryers and heat curler is bad for your hair. When you use a blow dryer or apply heat on your hair it reduces your hair’s natural moisture and leaves it dry, brittle and rough. Constant use can cause physical hair trauma and the result is damaged hair and split ends.
- The best way to dry your hair is to let them dry naturally and the healthiest way to style it heats less. Go gently and your hair will look and feel better and last longer.
7.) Protect your Hair from the Elements to Prevent Split Ends
Environmental factors such as wind, sun and cold work against your hair. Long-term exposure to the hot sun could damage your hair and leave then dry and brittle and more prone to breakage as well as split ends. Similarly, cold winds can also be quite harsh on your hair.
- Whenever you are going outside to the hot sun or cold winds you must need to protect your hair wearing a scarf, a hat or a cap. It will help to lock the moisture of your hair and protect it against harsh elements. They also can make great accessories, and they are also excellent at hiding bad hair days.
8.) Papaya to Avoid Split Ends
- Papaya is a good source of natural amino acids, antioxidants and lots of necessary vitamins. You can apply this delicious fruit directly to your hair to prevent split ends.
- Take a ripe papaya and fill half a cup of natural yogurts.
- Blend them till the mixture get smooth and thick.
- Apply this to your hair and leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Then wash it off with cold water.
- And then rinse if off with the help of shampoo.
9.) Avocado to Prevent Split Ends
Avocado is a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin D, and vitamin E which are extremely important for the nourishment of your hair. It is filled with protein and fatty acids which nourish and condition your hair better than the best conditioner you can find on the market today.
- You just need to ripe an avocado
- Add two tablespoon of coconut oil and olive oil till you achieve an emulsion like creamy state.
- Apply this mixture to all over your hair but do not apply this to the roots.
- Then rinse if off after 30 minutes and shampoo.
10.) Mayonnaise to Prevent Split Ends
It is one of the best remedies for split ends, dandruff, and dry hair. The egg nourishes your hair and the oil conditions it and leaves your hair feeling soft, healthy and shiny. It is one of the best natural straightening treatment that does not damage your hair.
- You need to apply about half a cup of mayonnaise onto your dried hair and not just the roots.
- Leave it on for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with the shampoo and cold water.