How to use home remedies for heartburn relief or get rid of heartburn? Heartburn has got nothing to do any heart related problem. It is a situation, where the stomach acid is pushed out into the esophagus, which is the main reason behind the burning sensation in the upper abdomen, or in the region below the breast bone. Heartburn occurs when the esophageal sphincter, fails to close properly, allowing the acids to flow backwards. The situation is different from a typical heart attack and occurs after consuming too much spicy or oily food. It is easily treated with the help of an antacid and is rarely accompanied by cold sweat or pain in the jaws or neck or arms, which is a sign of heart attack. Heartburn can be identified by a burning sensation in the breast, while lying down or exercising after a meal. Sometimes you might taste an acidic liquid behind the throat and have difficulty swallowing foods.
Causes of Heartburn:
Heartburn usually happens when our stomach is too full and it is forced to produce excess acid to digest the food. Excess production may lead to gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is also caused when there is some structural abnormality in the abdomen region. Heartburn is not a very serious problem, but can often be a prelude to many serious diseases. The reasons behind common heartburn is listed below..
Food- there are many foods which forces the stomach to produce excess of acids, in order to digest them. These foods are chocolates, juices like grapefruit, oranges, coffee, oily food and carbonated beverages.
Smoking and alcohol – Smoking and drinking are two big reasons, which can churn the acids in the stomach and cause heartburn.
Pressure on the stomach – Heartburn can occur when there is an excessive pressure on the stomach. This pressure might be due to various reasons. It might be due to constipation or excess weight gain. Female experience heartburn, when they are pregnant, due to this same reason . Even wearing very tight fitting clothes, which tends to pressurize the stomach leads to heartburn
Lifestyle related reasons- Lifestyle related causes include an unhealthy lifestyle, like going without food for long periods of time. Staying up late at night, working under very stressful conditions, eating in a hurry without chewing the food properly and many other reasons contribute to heartburn.
Drugs and medications- Certain types of medicines causes heartburn as a side effect. Mostly painkillers , asthma inhalers, tranquilizers and anti-depressants form a large part of the group of medicines , which causes heartburn as a side effect.
Hiatal hernias- Hiatal hernias is a condition where a portion of the stomach is left within the chest region, which helps the stomach acid to reach the esophagus easily. People suffering from Hiatal hernias have a high probability of suffering from heartburn.
Home Remedies For Heartburn Relief (Get Rid of Heartburn):
- Home Remedies For Heartburn Relief (Get Rid of Heartburn):
- 1.) Baking Soda, Lemon and Water Solution For Heartburn Relief
- 2.) Raw Potato Juice For Heartburn Relief
- 3.) Celery and Cabbage Juice For Heartburn Relief
- 4.) Papaya For Heartburn Relief
- 5.) Aromatherapy For Heartburn Relief
- 6.) Ginger For Heartburn Relief
- 7.) Aloe Vera For Heartburn Relief
- 8.) Apple Cider Vinegar For Heartburn Relief
- 9.) Drink Water For Heartburn Relief
- 10.) Almonds For Heartburn Relief
- 11.) Milk For Heartburn Relief
- 12.) Basil and Mint Juice For Heartburn Relief
- 13.) Chewing Gum For Heartburn Relief
Heartburn is not a major problem and can easily be solved by taking a few pills from the drug store. However, these pills tend to create dependency, which might be dangerous in the long run. So in order to get rid of heartburn adopting natural remedies is a safe and more convenient way of treatment for a long term basis.
1.) Baking Soda, Lemon and Water Solution For Heartburn Relief
- Take a glass of cold water.
- Add two tablespoons of baking soda and mix thoroughly.
- Take a lemon and squeeze out the entire juice from the lemon.
- Add the lemon juice to the water and soda solution.
- A lot of fizz will be created by adding lemon to the alkaline solution.
- Drink the soda water solution immediately after preparation and you will notice a significant improvement in your situation.
However, if you are a patient of hypertension, refrain from using this method as the sodium formation from this solution can affect you negatively.
2.) Raw Potato Juice For Heartburn Relief
Raw potato is regarded as alkaline and can help to cure the problem of acidity greatly.
- Take a big size raw potato cut it into small slices.
- Do not peel the skin and leave it intact with the pieces.
- Place these pieces in a blender and juice them out.
- Strain the juice and drink it immediately.
- Use this method at least a couple of times during the day, to get rid of heartburn.
3.) Celery and Cabbage Juice For Heartburn Relief
- Both celery and cabbage has a high alkaline content, can help cure the problem of acid reflux greatly .
- Take a few strands of celery and cut them into small pieces.
- Take equal amount of green cabbage and chop them into small pieces.
- Put both these vegetables in the mixture and blend them with some water.
- Strain the juice from the pulp and drink it immediately.
- Drinking this juice every day in the morning, will help you to get rid of heartburn.
4.) Papaya For Heartburn Relief
Papaya is filled with enzymes, which can help a person with digestion problems. Papaya can be eaten in both raw or juice forms. You can make use of ripe or unripe green papaya as per your preference. The pappin content in papaya helps in soothing the walls of the stomach and helps it to work naturally.
- Take a green papaya and cut small slices.
- Boil it in a pot until it becomes soft.
- Eat them whenever you experience an acid attack.
- You can buy ripe papaya, peel the outer layer and eat it directly.
- Alternatively, you can also make a juice from ripe papaya.
- Peel the outer layers of the ripe papaya.
- De-seed the cubes.
- Add the cubes in a blender and blend them well
- Extract the juice and drink it before any heavy meal.
5.) Aromatherapy For Heartburn Relief
Aromatherapy is a bit unusual, but very effective way of reducing heartburn, especially if you happen to be pregnant. Take a few drops of essential oil and massage it around your chest and abdomen area. Let the oil get absorbed. You will be able to notice the change within a short period of time.
6.) Ginger For Heartburn Relief
Ginger has been used for a long time for its anti- inflammatory properties. It has the unique capability to absorb the acid and neutralize its effect. Besides, it can also soothe the walls of the stomach. You can consume ginger directly in your regular dishes or use it to make a mild and soothing ginger tea.
- Take a ginger root and peel the outer skin.
- Cut thin slices and crush it using a mortar and pestle.
- Take a glass of water and add these crushed slices into it.
- Bring the water to boil and allow it to steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the juice and drink it.
- Repeat this process to experience quick relief.
7.) Aloe Vera For Heartburn Relief
Like ginger, aloe-vera has similar effects on the acids. It can neutralize the harmful effects of acid and cure heartburn. There are many ways in which you can consume aloe- vera. Aloe Vera juice is commercially available in many drug stores or you can make it at home.
- Cut a leaf from the aloe-vera plant and carefully peel out the rind from the leaf.
- Remove the inner layer until you reach the gel portion.
- Peel the gel, with the help of a spoon and place it into a blender.
- Mix some water or citrus fruit and blend.
- Strain the juice and drink immediately.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar For Heartburn Relief
- Apple cider vinegar is another ingredient, which can cure the problem of acid influx to a great degree.
- Take a spoonful of apple cider vinegar.
- Add a cup of water to it.
- Add a juice of lemon and a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink the solution immediately after preparation.
9.) Drink Water For Heartburn Relief
Water is a universal healer for many problems. Water will help to dilute the acid in the stomach and reduce the pain. Even drink herbal tea, like ginger or chameleon tea will give you similar or perhaps more enhanced benefit. Drinking tender coconut water can also be very beneficial, as it contains a lot of natural minerals, which can cure the burning sensation more quickly. Besides the soothing effect of coconut water is also well-known.
10.) Almonds For Heartburn Relief
Almonds have a high concentration of calcium. The calcium in the almond helps to balance the pH of the body, thereby restoring the normal balance of the body.
- Take a handful of almonds.
- Place it in a cup of water and allow it to soak for a couple of hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove the almonds and peel the outer layer.
- Eat them directly or mix it in your salads.
11.) Milk For Heartburn Relief
Milk is an excellent agent for curing heartburn. It coats the stomach walls and lessens the pain and neutralizes the effects of acid formation.
- Drink a cup of cold milk whenever you are experiencing heartburn.
- In case you don’t have milk handy, consuming a scoop of vanilla ice cream can also do the trick.
12.) Basil and Mint Juice For Heartburn Relief
- Gather a bunch of basil and mint leaves.
- Clean them and place them in a mixer.
- Add half a cup of water and grind them together.
- Extract the juice and drink it.
- The soothing property of these herbs will provide relief from heartburn.
13.) Chewing Gum For Heartburn Relief
Try chewing a sugar free gum in between meals, which will help to reduce the chances of heartburn. Chewing gum increases the saliva production in the mouth, which in turn can help to neutralize the harmful effects of the stomach acid.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Heartburn:
Heartburn can be prevented if a little caution is exercised and some lifestyle related changes are implemented. It’s not a serious problem, but can definitely can pose a serious threat if it is ignored over a longer period of time. At times heartburn can be a silent indication of many serious problems. Following some tips, will be helpful is overcoming the issues related with it.
1.) Wear loose clothes, especially after a heavy meal.
2.) Don’t smoke or drink frequently. Smoking is empty stomach, can cause serious damage to the stomach walls and cause acid reflux. Alcohol too is another major reason, behind heartburn.
3.) Chew your food properly before swallowing them. It helps in digestion.
4.) Don’t eat too much at any given point of time. Eat smaller meals.
5.) If you are prone to heartburn, avoid spicy foods, like hot peppers or too much oily food.
6.) Try to keep the level of stress less in your life. Excessive stress can hamper the body clock and prevent the vital organs from functioning properly, which eventually can lead to acid refluxes.
7.) Try to get at least 8 hours of sleep. It is very important to ensure your food is digested well.
8.) Maintain an eating pattern. Take your meals at a fixed time. This will help the stomach to get accustomed to the food time table and accordingly it will release stomach acids. A haphazard food routine, confuses the system and an excess acid is always produced.
9.) Reduce weight and exercise daily, which will help your body to stay in proper shape.