How to use home remedies to get rid of pink eye naturally and fast? Pink eye is usually known as “conjunctivitis” and is caused by a virus or bacterial infection. Pink eye occurs when the thin mucous membrane of the eye is irritated by some allergic reaction or by virus attack. Although the mucous membrane is transparent, it still has blood vessels lined in them, which tends to get dilated when conjunctivitis strikes. There are no sure shot methods of preventing conjunctivitis. Since it is viral, it happens to spread very fast and the only way to prevent it is to maintain proper hygiene.
Types of Pink Eye:
- Viral Conjunctivitis- Viral conjunctivitis is a very contagious and spreads very easily by sneezing or coughing. In viral conjunctivitis one or both the eyes gets affected. However, this type of conjunctivitis is not very painful and disappears on their own after a few days.
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis – Bacterial conjunctivitis are caused by bacterial attacks and are more dangerous than viral conjunctivitis. It may cause serious damage to the eye, if left untreated for a long period of time. In bacterial conjunctivitis there is a yellowish puss, which gets formed in the area surrounding the eye. The puss is quick thick and may glue the eyelids in the morning. Bacterial conjunctivitis usually affects one eye.
- Allergic Conjunctivitis- Allergic conjunctivitis is usually non contagious in nature and is characterized by itchy and swollen eyes, running nose and is usually accompanied by fever. Allergic conjunctivitis is caused by changes in weather conditions and effects both the eyes.
Symptoms of Allergic Conjunctivitis:
The symptoms of conjunctivitis vary from person to person depending on the way it was contacted. However, there are certain symptoms, which are common to everyone suffering from pink eye.
- Redness in the white portion of the eye.
- Itchy or watery eyes.
- Puss discharge from the eyes
- Eye pain
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Pink Eye:
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Pink Eye:
- 1.) Saline Water Flush to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 2.) Turmeric Solution to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 3.) Honey to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 4.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 5.) Honey and Lime Juice to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 6.) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 7.) Raw Potatoes to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 8.) Green Tea Bag and Salt Water to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- Other Useful Tips to Prevent Pink Eyes:
There are various kinds of over the counter medicines available for treating a pink eye. However, it is always a good option to work with home remedies, which are not only safe and effective, but also very cheap and reliable.
1.) Saline Water Flush to Get Rid of Pink Eye
The saline water flush helps to clear out the bacteria from the eye and keep it clean. The saline water, will help to clear the eye lashes and kill the bacteria or virus that might be causing the problem.
- Measure a cup of water and allow it to boil.
- Add one teaspoon of salt to the water and let it dissolve completely in the water.
- Allow the water to cool down.
- Once the water has cooled down, take a q-tip and dip it in that saline water.
- Using the Q-tip clean the insides of the eye, where any puss might have formed.
- Use the water to clean your eyes by splashing it, several times in a day.
- Apply a medicated cream, after the process.
2.) Turmeric Solution to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Turmeric is another kitchen ingredient, which is a storehouse of antibacterial and anti- viral properties. It is widely used in many parts of the world for treating problems related to the eyes.
- Boil half a cup of water to kill any germs that might be present in the water.
- Add one teaspoon of organic turmeric powder in that water along with a pinch of salt.
- Use a plain washcloth to apply this solution to your eyes.
- Leave the cloth on the eyes for at least 20 minutes.
- Repeat the process, with another piece of cloth if required.
- The itchy and red eye problem will be cured in very less amount of time hopefully.
3.) Honey to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Honey like turmeric is a powerhouse of anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti –bacterial properties. It contains a special compound known as dihydroxyacetone, which can provide relief from infections faster than any other known methods.
- Take ¼ cup of distilled water or normal water.
- In case you are using normal water; boil the water to get rid of any germs that might be present in the water.
- Once the water has cooled down sufficiently, add ¼ tablespoon of raw honey to it.
- Ensure that the water is not too hot, failing, which might destroy the antibacterial properties of the honey.
- Stir the honey in the water and add a pinch of salt to it.
- Use a dropper and pour this solution in your eyes like an eye drop.
- Repeat the process a few times in a day.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Apple Cider Vinegar is quite an uncommon way of treating a pink eye. It helps to kill the germs that are widely regarded as the main culprit behind sore eyes.
- Take one cup of normal water.
- Boil it to get rid of any harmful bacteria.
- Allow the water to cool and add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in it.
- Mix the solution and dip a clean cotton washcloth in it.
- Squeeze out any excess liquid from the cloth
- Use this cloth to wipe the insides of the eyelids.
- Repeat the entire process couple of times, throughout the day at regular intervals.
This process might cause your eyes to burn initially, but after a few minutes, the pain will likely subside and the redness will be gone.
5.) Honey and Lime Juice to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Honey and lime juice is a wonderful combination to treat a pink eye. The lime juice might cause the eye to sting for a few minutes after application, but the feeling subsides soon enough.
- Take a lemon and squeeze out the juice from the lemon.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to the juice.
- Since raw lemon juice is very strong for the eyes to tolerate, add a few drops of distilled water to dilute it.
- Use a dropper to apply a few drops of this solution on your eyes.
- Dip a clean cotton ball in the solution and use it to wipe the insides of your eye.
- The redness and swollen trouble will likely diminish very soon.
6.) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Tea weather chamomile or green tea can be used to cure the problem of pink eyes. The anti-inflammatory properties of the tea can help to kill the bacteria in the eyes and provide relief.
- Boil a cup of water and place two tea bags of chamomile tea in it.
- After a few minutes when the water has cooled down sufficiently add some honey to the tea.
- Using a Q-tip or a cotton ball applies the solution in your eyes drop by drop.
- Repeat the process several times in a day.
7.) Raw Potatoes to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- Take a raw potato and peel the outer skin.
- Slice it into thin pieces.
- Place a piece on the infected eye for a couple of minutes.
- After a few minutes, you will feel quite relieved.
8.) Green Tea Bag and Salt Water to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Green tea is a storehouse of antioxidants that can help to cure the inflammation in the eye. The salt water will help to kill the germs in the eye.
- Boil a cup of water and add one teaspoon of salt in it.
- Take a green tea bag and add a few drops of the saline solution in the tea bag.
- Once the bag is sufficiently wet, place it on the affected eye.
- Repeat the process, when the moisture evaporates from the bag.
- After a few hours, you will notice a marked difference in your overall condition.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Pink Eyes:
- Pink eyes have got no cure. It gets healed naturally. The only way to prevent it is to stop the infection from spreading.
- A handful of preventive measures is listed below to help you to prevent the painful experience of a pink eye.
- Do not wear contact lens or share them with anyone.
- Wash your hands properly before putting them on your eyes.
- Wash your towels, clothes and bed linen regularly, in an antiseptic solution.
- Wear eye gear, while going out in the sun or during extreme climatic conditions.
- Do not share your eye makeup items. Also, do not use any store tester and stay away from applying any kind of makeup, until you are cured completely.
- If you are dealing with someone who has an infected pink eye, wear protective gloves and eye wear to prevent the infection from entering your system.
- Stay away from swimming pools, if you suspect you are having a pink eye. The water from the pool will likely make your eyes more irritated.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes, or touching it frequently. It will irritate your eyes further.
- Use warm or cold compress on the infected eye, anything which suits you well should work fine. This will probably reduce the inflammation and provide relief.
- Wash your face several times in a day and apply a medicated eye cream to ensure your eyes remain moist.
- Lastly, keep your children at home, in case they have contacted the virus by any means. Keeping them at home, will ensure, they are not exposed to pollution and gets healed fast. On the other hand it will also ensure that they don’t spread the virus among other kids.