Black mold is a fungus and it can be a serious problem for homeowners. Removing black mold from your home is a tough task. Black mold grows indoors in moist areas on cellulose based materials. It can cause various health problems that should be cleaned before it spreads. There is a little difference between mold and black mold. Black mold is toxic while the mold is a live spore. Black mold can blacken your shower, darkens decks, discolors drywall and grows on damp wood. It releases microscopic spores that cause runny noses, sneezing and allergic reactions. Almost every home gets black mold infestations. The best way is to stop them before they harm you and your home. Your kitchen, basement and bathroom are at high risk for black mold and bacteria growth because they are in contact with moisture. You can easily remove and stop black mold with ordinary cleaning products. This article provides best ways to get rid of black mold.
Signs of Black Mold:
- Moldy smell
- Seeing mold
- Blocked gutters
- Water leaks
- Leaking roof or attic
- Damp basement
Best Methods to Get Rid of Black Mold:
- Best Methods to Get Rid of Black Mold:
- 1.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Remove Black Mold Fast
- 2.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Black Mold Fast:
- 3.) Vinegar to Prevent Black Mold Infestations
- 4.) Ammonia to Treat Black Mold Infestation Fast
- 5.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Black Mold Naturally
- 6.) Borax to Kill Black Mold Fast
- 7.) Grapefruit to Get Rid of Black Mold Fast and Naturally
- 8.) Borax and Vinegar to Treat Black Mold Infestation Fast
- 9.) Bleach to Kill Black Mold Fast
- 10.) Clean All Surfaces to Prevent Black Mold Fast
1.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Remove Black Mold Fast
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the best ways to remove black mold. Hydrogen peroxide works as antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It helps to kill black mold effectively on a variety of materials such as floors, walls, kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures.
Steps to Use Hydrogen Peroxide:
- Take a spray bottle and pour 3% concentration hydrogen peroxide into it.
- Saturate the mold surface and allow it to sit for ten minutes.
- Scrub the area to remove mold stains.
- Now wipe the surface to remove residual mold and spores.
2.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Black Mold Fast:
Baking soda is one of the best natural cleaning agents to clean the house. Baking soda is a mild and white powder which is used to kill black mold in your home. It is also safe for your family and pets. Baking soda helps to absorb moisture to keep black mold away.
Steps to Use Baking Soda:
- Add one-quarter tbsp of baking soda and water in a spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle properly.
- Now spray the moldy area with this solution.
- Use a scrub brush or sponge to remove all the black mold from the surface.
- Rinse the area with water to remove any mold residue.
- Again spray the area and allow the surface to dry.
- This will help to kill any leftover black mold and prevent the black mold from growing.
3.) Vinegar to Prevent Black Mold Infestations
Vinegar is best for removing stains. It is a mild acid that can kill 82% of black mold species.
Steps to Use Vinegar:
- Take some white distilled vinegar and pour it into a spray bottle.
- Spray it over the mold surface and leave it for an hour.
- Use water to clean the area and let the surface dry.
4.) Ammonia to Treat Black Mold Infestation Fast
Killing black mold with ammonia is the best way to deal with black mold. It is a good disinfectant and works great for killing black mold on hard and non-porous items. These items include kitchen counters, shower doors, and the bathroom sink.
Steps to Use Ammonia:
- Combine water and ammonia in equal proportions.
- Pour this solution into a spray bottle and spray it on infested areas.
- Allow the solution to sit for 10 minutes.
- Now wipe the area with a small brush.
- Repeat it if necessary.
5.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Black Mold Naturally
Tea tree oil is a natural fungicide which is effective for killing black mold. Tea tree oil works as a cleaner and as a black mold prevention agent. Tea tree oil is known for its antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties which are best for cleaning black mold.
Steps to Use Tea Tree Oil:
- Add 1 tsp of tea tree oil to 1 cup of water.
- Stir it well and pour the solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution over the infested areas and then clean the area.
- Repeat this method as needed.
6.) Borax to Kill Black Mold Fast
Borax is a chemical which is used in many household products such as herbicides, fungicides and as a household cleaner. It helps to fight off and kill black mold. Borax is toxic, so you have to be careful. Borax doesn’t release gas or toxic fumes.
Steps to Use Borax:
- Take 1 cup of borax and 1 gallon of water and mix them well.
- Spray the solution to the contaminated area.
- Scrub the area with a small brush or old toothbrush.
- Wipe away any molding material.
- Don’t rinse it.
- Allow it to dry if needed.
7.) Grapefruit to Get Rid of Black Mold Fast and Naturally
Grapefruit is one of the best home remedies for removing black mold. You can also use grapefruit extract and it can also be used to treat black mold infestation.
Steps to Use Grapefruit:
- Add 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract to 1 cup of water.
- Pour this solution into a spray bottle and spray it all over the mold area.
- Let the mold cleaning solution to work for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Clean the remaining black mold residue.
- Don’t rinse and reapply it.
8.) Borax and Vinegar to Treat Black Mold Infestation Fast
Borax and vinegar are one of the best home remedies for killing and attacking mold fungi. These black mold killers don’t emit any gas or toxic fumes into the air.
Steps to Use Borax and Vinegar to Get Rid of Black Mold:
- Combine half cup of vinegar with one-fourth cup of borax and 1 quart of warm water.
- Shake this solution properly.
- Apply this solution to the affected areas.
- Wipe away any black mold residue.
9.) Bleach to Kill Black Mold Fast
Bleach can kill any species of indoor mold and it leaves a surface sanitized to future mold growth. Bleach is effective if the black mold is growing on non-porous materials such as glass, bathtubs, tiles and countertops. Bleach will kill the black mold on the surface, but the roots within the material will remain. Eliminating black mold with bleach is not expensive and it is easily available in the market.
Steps to Use Bleach:
- Take 1 cup of bleach and 1 gallon of water.
- Apply this solution to non-porous surfaces with a spray bottle.
- You don’t need to wash the surface afterward as the bleach will control the mold growing in the future.
- Reapply this solution if needed.
10.) Clean All Surfaces to Prevent Black Mold Fast
Cleaning is necessary to prevent mold from returning. Clean all surfaces properly to remove residual spores. Let all surfaces dry. Use an HEPA filter vacuum to dry vacuum the room which helps to remove embedded spores. If black mold returns after attempting several methods, then call a professional to clean the black mold. You can also use detergent and water to scrub off hard surfaces where black mold is visible.