After writing, how to get rid of cold sores?, how to get rid of canker sores?, and how to get rid of cough?, we are now writing the several ways to soothe a sore throat. Almost everyone experiences a sore throat at one point of time or another. Children, particularly are more prone to sore throat than adults. Sore throat is mostly caused by a virus, and to a minor extent by bacteria. If left untreated, it can develop into a serious disease. Your sore throat lasts for a few days or more with nausea, fever or abdominal pain. In other cases, sore throat heals faster without any problem and can be easily treated with items available in your kitchen. A sore throat is a painful sensation in the throat, irritated by swallowing. Virus or bacteria are the main reason for sore throat, medically known as Pharyngitis. Sometimes it is an underlying signs of illness like flu, cold, tonsillitis, mumps etc. In this article, we are going to explain a lots of remedies to soothe a sore throat and treat it very fast and efficiently. Usually sore throat lasts about 2 to 5 days but you can follow the remedies in this article and treat your sore throat much faster.
Causes Of Sore Throat:
- Best Remedies to Soothe a Sore Throat
- 1.) Gargle With Salt Water
- 2.) Do Some Steam Therapy
- 3.) Have Some Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4.) Suck on Garlic
- 5.) Drink Some Ginger Tea
- 6.) Use The Marshmallow Root
- 7.) Cayenne Pepper Will Help
- 8.) Drink Licorice Root Tea
- 9.) Baking Soda Will Help
- 10.) Have Lemon and Honey Mixture
- 11.) Use The Slippery Elm
- 12.) Use The Horehound Herb
- 13.) Make Use of Turmeric
- 14.) Have Some Wheatgrass
- 15.) Gargle With Clove Water
- 16.) Get Plenty of Rest
- 17.) Have A Hot Toddy
- Other Useful Tips To Prevent Sore Throat:
Viral Infection: Viral infection is the most common and most frequent reason behind the sore throat problem. Among all the viral infection, common cold is the most common problem, which attacks almost 2/3 of the sufferers. Then there is another type of infectious disease known as mononucleosis, which is transmitted through the saliva of two people. Measles is a more severe form of viral infection, which causes fever, associated with fever and general weakness. Sore throat is also a symptom of influenza and mumps. An infection in the larynx, known as laryngitis is also a big reason behind sore throat. Lastly severe viral infection like chicken pox also leads to a sore throat problem, along with other immunity related problems.
Bacterial Infection: Even though sore throat is regarded as the main reason behind sore throat, bacterial infection is also a well known culprit behind problems related to a sore throat. Bacterial infection results in strep throat, which results in inflammation. It is typically characterized by congestion or cough. A bacterial infection of the mucous membrane leads to whooping cough.
Environmental Factors: There are numerous environmental factors that leads to sore throat problems, like excessive cold weather, allergic reaction to pollen or dander can also act as a trigger. Accumulation of mucus in the lungs can also lead to sore throat problems. Smoking is another big reason, which can lead to sore throat. It can cause irritation and make the throat feel raw and scratchy. Lastly a temporary sore throat can happen, if a person, happens to shout or yell too much or strain his voice for a long period of time.
Best Remedies to Soothe a Sore Throat
1.) Gargle With Salt Water
This is every grandmother’s remedy to soothe a sore throat. She knows all benefits of it very well. Gargling with salt water can really help you relieve from sore throat. When your throats injured, irrespective of what causes it, it is mainly because of the cells in the mucous membranes have become inflamed and swollen. By gargling with salt water you reduce the swelling caused it draws out water to lessen the swollen cell and relieve the pain. It also helps remove the excess mucus and prevents any cough in the throat.
Boil a cup of water and put some 1 tsp of salt in it. Mix it well. Gargle with this warm mixture. Repeat this process for about 2-3 times a day. Make sure you don’t overdo the process as it can worsen the condition. Try this method to get rid of a sore throat fast and naturally. Thoroughly mix in salt. Gargle. Repeat this process 3 times a day as needed. Avoid doing it more than 3 times.
2.) Do Some Steam Therapy
Steam can prevent you from a sore throat. It relieves the pain and the dryness of the throat, making it easier to breathe if you are coughing too. For this purpose, you don’t have to go to any steam room to get the treatment done, but there are several home remedies to use it.
Take some hot water and pour it into your bowl. Put some drops of essential oil for additional benefits. Bend over the bowl, covering your head with a bath towel and slowly inhale the steam. This will help soothe your throat as well as prevent further pain and irritation in the throat. Do this process for at least 2 times a day for better results. Alternatively, you can also take a hot shower bath for half an hour and inhale the steam of hot water. Make sure while coming out of the bathroom cover yourself properly in order to avoid getting in contact with direct air.
3.) Have Some Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is undoubtedly helpful to soothe a sore throat or a strep throat. Its high amount of acidity can eradicate bacteria quite efficiently. When combined with honey, it can soothe your throat as well as the other signs of soreness.
Mix the 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water. Add a few drops of honey for additional benefits. Drink this mixture to soothe a sore throat fast. Alternatively, make a solution out of ACV and warm water. Now, gargle with this solution 2-3 times a day to soothe a sore throat fast at home.
4.) Suck on Garlic
It doesn’t sound good, but it is an effective method to soothe a sore throat fast and naturally. Garlic is a natural remedy that can kick out your sore throat right, in its painfully swollen area. Garlic consists of allicin that helps kill the bacteria that cause strep or sore throat and the germs that cause irritation and pain in the throat. Take a clove of garlic and place in your both cheeks or you can chew this garlic clove crushing under your teeth, releasing Ellison to soothe your throat fast and naturally. Repeat this process once daily for best results.
5.) Drink Some Ginger Tea
Ginger traditionally has been used in cold climates to counter the effects of cold. It helps to increase the oxidization of the cells, reduces the toxin build up, and reduce the mucus formation in the throat.
- Take a ginger root and slice it into small parts. Smash the pieces using a mortar and pestle. Add these pieces into a cup of water and allow it to boil for a few minutes.
- Once the heat is turned off, strain the solution. Add some honey and enjoy the drink, once it comes to room temperature.
6.) Use The Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow roots are very popular in many parts of Europe and Africa for treating cold and flu symptoms, as well as provide relief from sore throats.It’s root consists of mucilage that helps coat your throat and soothe the mucous membrane in the throat. If you are a diabetic patient, seek doctor’s advice before using Marshmallow Root, as it may lower down your blood sugar level.
To use this method, take some dried roots and put them in a bowl of boiling water. Let it steep for 15 mins and then strain the water. Now, cool down the water and add some amount of honey for additional benefits. Drink this mixture for about 2-3 times a day to soothe a sore throat fast and easily.
7.) Cayenne Pepper Will Help
Drinking lukewarm water with cayenne can actually help you get rid of a sore throat fast and naturally at home. This is another effective home remedy to get rid of a sore throat. Anyways, hot pepper over already irritated throat seems to be madness, but there is a method to use this remedy. The chemical element capsaicin in cayenne helps relieve pain and discomfort in the throat.
To use this method, bring some water to boil land put ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Steep it for 15 mins and then strain the water. Now, put 1 teaspoon of honey in this mixture. Drink this warm mixture 2-3 times a day to treat a sore throat fast and naturally. This is one of the great remedies to treat this method to soothe a sore throat at home.
8.) Drink Licorice Root Tea
Drinking licorice root tea can naturally get rid of a sore throat and strep throat. The anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties of licorice root help lessen irritation and swelling. Also helps soothe the mucous membranes in your throat.
Take 1 dry licorice root, 1-2 cinnamon sticks, 2-3 cloves and 2 tsp of chamomile flower. Put all the ingredients and put into boiling water for 30 mins. Let it steep for another 15 mins. Now, strain the water and put some amount of honey for additional benefits. Drink this mixture for 2-3 times a day for better results. This will help soothe and calm the irritated throat fast and naturally.
9.) Baking Soda Will Help
Many times baking soda known as a straightforward, simple, and effective home remedy for treating a sore throat. Baking soda has antibacterial properties that help kill harmful bacteria in your throat. The alkaline properties will help soothe minor skin irritations such as rashes and bug bites, and it will act likewise on the swollen tissues in your throat.
Put ½ teaspoon baking soda and ½ teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water. Mix it well. Now, gargle with this mixture for 2-3 times a day to treat a sore throat fast and naturally at home. This is one of the best remedies to soothe a sore throat at home fast.
10.) Have Lemon and Honey Mixture
Honey as we all know is infused with high amount of anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and antiseptic qualities. Lemon on the other hand has a soothing property, which can calm the inflamed muscles of the throat.
- Add a teaspoon of honey in a glass of water. Don’t stir the honey and allow it to melt normally.
- Microwave this water for one minute, until it is sufficiently warm. Add some lemon juice and drink it.
- Instead of water, you can use alcohol like brandy, which can help you to fall asleep.
11.) Use The Slippery Elm
Slippery elm, is also very similar to marshmallow root. It helps to coat the mucus membrane of the throat gently and reduce the irritation caused by the rashes. The procedure of preparing is also quite similar to slippery elm. Take a spoonful of slippery elm extract. Bring a cup of water to boil and add the extract. Turn off the heat completely and allow it to steep for a few minutes. Strain the liquid and drink it.
12.) Use The Horehound Herb
Horehound is a common herb, found in many parts of north and south America. It helps to thin the mucus of your throat, thereby making it easy for you to breath. It also reduces the inflammation of the throat and provides a soothing feeling. Take a few strands of horehound. Dip it in a glass of boiling water. Allow it to steep for a few minutes. Strain the water and drink it.
13.) Make Use of Turmeric
Turmeric is believed to have a lot of anti-bacterial properties and can fight a lot of problems. A gargle using turmeric and salt water, will bring in faster results, then just a simple salt water gargle. Take a glass of warm water. Add half teaspoon of turmeric in it. Add another teaspoon of salt. Stir the solution well and use it to gargle for twice in a day.
14.) Have Some Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is a very simple ingredient, which can be grown in the backyard and has numerous beneficial qualities. Wheatgrass is a storehouse of chlorophyll, different types of minerals and vitamins that can help to boost the immune system.
- Take a bunch of wheatgrass and wash it under running water. Blend it in a blender using some water. Strain the liquid.
- Use this juice as a mouthwash or gargle with the juice. This juice will not only soothe your sore throat, but also provide relief from gum and teeth problems.
15.) Gargle With Clove Water
Clove is traditionally used as a painkiller and various dental problems. It has a high amount of Anthelmintic properties, which makes it an excellent agent to fight different kind of germs and bacteria. Using a clove tea for gargling, will help to reduce the pain of sore throat greatly. Take a glass of water and allow it to boil. Add a few pieces of cloves to this water. Let the cloves steep in low heat. Turn off the heat and allow the use the water to gargle. Use this water to gargle at least twice in a day to get relief from sore throat pain.
16.) Get Plenty of Rest
Getting enough sleep and rest is very important. With the use of other remedies, the effects of natural remedies even get better and help cure faster than obvious. Make sure you are allowing your body rest enough, and drink as much fluid as you can. Drink Water, more water, orange juice, herbal tea, and avoid the intake of caffeine and alcohol.
17.) Have A Hot Toddy
Hot toddy is also beneficial to soothe a sore throat fast and naturally. Normally a Hot Toddy helps a sore throat accompanied by cold and cough. The lemon and honey calms your throat, while the alcohol helps you sleep. It’s up to you whether you use it or not, but keep in mind that alcohol is best when you are under the weather.
To use this method, put 2 teaspoons of alcohol into a large mug. Add the 1 tsp of honey, lemon each in half cup of water into the mug. Now mix well all the ingredients well. Now, drink this mixture before going to bed daily for once, until you see some results. This is one of the best remedy to treat sore throat at home fast.
Other Useful Tips To Prevent Sore Throat:
Almost everyone suffers from a sore throat problem at some point of time during our life. No matter how common their occurrence might be, there is always a way to avoid a sore throat.
- Opt For Food and Drinks at Room Temperature: You might be very fond of ice tea or cold water, but chances are high that extremely cold water will only increase the irritation in your throat. Similarly drink hot tea or coffee might sound very helpful, but gulping down too hot a drink, might burn the inner lining of your throat and increase the pain. Sticking to food and drink is, therefore, regarded as the best way to fight a sore throat problem.
- Avoid Milk: Milk is naturally blessed with many vitamins and minerals, but on the downside, it is definitely not a very good drink to be consumed when a person is suffering from sore throat. It will tends to coat the membrane of the throat, which already has a lot of mucus build up, thereby worsening the problem. Stay away from milk and drink herbal tea instead.
- Maintain Hygiene: Whenever you are near people who seem to be having whooping cough or flu, cover your face, don’t share food from the same plate and remember to wash your hands or use a hand sanitizer before taking any meals.
- Drink Water: Water is essential for the body. Keep yourself hydrated, so that germs don’t get a chance to breed in your body.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking increases the irritation and gives rise to rashes in the inner lining of the throat. The smoke from cigarettes contains many harmful toxic chemicals which tend to make a throat sore. Indirect smoking is as harmful as direct smoking. Stay away from indirect smoking and avoid all kinds of fumes.
- Use a Humidifier: Humidifier can help to increase the overall humidity of the room, which can be very helpful, if you are experiencing a soreness or dryness in the throat.
- Lozenge: over the counter lozenges have menthol added into them, which can provide a soothing sensation to the sore throat and provide a temporary relief. Also, it has been found that zinc lozenges tend to provide faster relief to the sore throat problem. Though no scientific evidence has been established behind the reason behind this relief.
Sore throat is not a disease, but often a trigger to some deeper underlying problem, that might be present in the body. In some extreme cases, sore throat might be an indication to cancer or HIV. If the problem of sore throat continues for more than two weeks, in spite of using all the well known home remedies, then a the patient should seek the help of a doctor without delay.