Some people are allergic to poison ivy as it is the most common allergy in the world. People are allergic to urushiol, which is an irritating resin and is found in poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak. Poison ivy is a plant which is found in the rocky mountains that grow as vines or shrubs. If you are sensitive and you brush one of these plants too much then you can get urushiol on your skin. Within 2 hours, you will get an itchy rash and you will scratch it for 3 weeks or more. You may also get the rash by touching items or clothes that have been contaminated with urushiol. If you will get urushiol on your fingers then it will spread around your body when you scratch. No one would knowingly touch such type of toxic plant. If you know you have exposed then you should wash the allergy-inducing urushiol before it spreads. There are many ways to get rid of poison ivy.
Symptoms of Poison Ivy:
- Difficulty in breathing
Causes of Poison Ivy:
- Touching against any part of the ivy plant, including the berries, roots, leaves, stems and flowers.
- Touching any other item that has come in contact with these toxic plants such as gardening tools, clothing, pet fur and sporting gear.
- Touching pets that have contacted the toxic plants.
- Exposure to the smoke of such burning plants.
How Long Does Poison Ivy Last?
Some rashes are caused by poison oak, poison ivy or poison sumac that lasts from 5 to 12 days. In severe cases, the rash can last for a month or longer.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of Poison Ivy:
- Best Remedies to Get Rid of Poison Ivy:
- 1.) Wash Your Skin to Treat a Poison Ivy Fast
- 2.) Rubbing Alcohol to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Fast
- 3.) Dish Soap to Cure Poison Ivy at Home
- 4.) Get Rid of Poison Ivy with Baking Soda
- 5.) Vinegar to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Rashes at Home
- 6.) Cold Coffee to Cure Poison Ivy Overnight
- 7.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Naturally
- 8.) Medications to Heal a Poison Ivy Rash
- 9.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Rashes Naturally
- 10.) Cucumber to Cure a Poison Ivy Fast and Naturally
1.) Wash Your Skin to Treat a Poison Ivy Fast
When you come in contact with the poison ivy, then wash the area with cold water thoroughly. Be careful do not touch it too much with your hands. Using coldest water helps to close up the pores in your skin whereas the hot water opens the pores and allow the toxic oil in.
- If you come in contact with poison ivy near the beach, then scrub the area with wet sand where the rash appeared. Use cold seawater to soak the rash.
- Don’t shower your whole body to wash the rash as it may worsen the condition by spreading the rash to other parts of the body.
2.) Rubbing Alcohol to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Fast
Rubbing alcohol is the effective home remedy for poison ivy treatment. Rubbing alcohol helps to reduce the discomfort by preventing urushiol chemical which is responsible for the rash. Rubbing alcohol helps to stop the poison from spreading.
Steps to Use Rubbing Alcohol to Prevent Poison Ivy:
- Pour a few drops of rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball.
- Now, apply this cotton ball to the affected skin.
- Do this method 2 or 3 times a day for quick results.
3.) Dish Soap to Cure Poison Ivy at Home
Using dish soap is the best and the easiest way to treat poison ivy. It is not easy to remove the oil with water which is present in the poison ivy plant. Dish soap helps to break up the oil and speed up the healing process. It also minimizes the spread of the poison.
Steps to Use Dish Soap to Heal a Poison Ivy Rash:
- Simply wash the affected area with dish soap.
- Repeat this dish soap remedy once or twice a day.
4.) Get Rid of Poison Ivy with Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the best home remedies for treating poison ivy. Baking soda helps to remove the toxins from the skin and soothe the rash.
Steps to Use Baking Soda to Treat a Poison Ivy Fast:
- Take some water and baking soda.
- Then mix them to make a paste.
- Now apply this paste on the rash.
- Allow it to dry and then wash the area with cool water.
- This method can be repeated many times a day for some days.
5.) Vinegar to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Rashes at Home
Vinegar works best to heal a poison ivy rash. You can use apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar for poison ivy.
Steps to Use Vinegar for Poison Ivy Treatment:
- Take some vinegar or pour it over the infected area.
- Allow it to sit on the rash until it evaporates.
- You can also apply the vinegar with the help of a cotton ball.
- Apply the vinegar 2 to 3 times a day.
6.) Cold Coffee to Cure Poison Ivy Overnight
Cold coffee is the best and effective method for treating poison ivy rashes. Coffee contains a natural anti-inflammatory acid, which is known as chlorogenic acid. This acid helps to soothe the rash and remove the swelling and redness.
Steps to Use Cold Coffee to Treat Poison Ivy Fast:
- Prepare a coffee and then place it in the refrigerator.
- Pour this cold coffee onto the rash or you can apply it with the help of a cotton ball.
- You can apply it many times a day to heal the rash quickly.
7.) Oatmeal to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Naturally
Oatmeal works as a skin-soothing agent. By taking an oatmeal bath, you will get relief from poison ivy rashes.
Steps to Use Oatmeal to Treat Poison Ivy Fast:
- Take a cup of oatmeal and grind it in a blender.
- Then add it to a bathtub, which is filled with warm water.
- Soak your body in this mixture for 20 minutes and it will remove the itch.
8.) Medications to Heal a Poison Ivy Rash
There are some creams or medicines that will help you to treat a poison ivy rash.
- You can take an allergy pill such as diphenhydramine to ease the itching and prevent the rash from spreading.
- You can buy a steroid cream and apply it over the rash few times a day. This cream helps to ease the allergic reaction.
- Calamine lotion is also good for poison ivy rashes.
- Applying an anti-itch cream help to reduce the itching. Apply it 3 times a day to ease the itchiness.
9.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Poison Ivy Rashes Naturally
Aloe Vera is one of the best home remedies for treating poison ivy. Aloe Vera gives relief from burning sensations which are caused by poison ivy.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to for Poison Ivy Treatment Fast:
- Squeeze out the gel from the aloe vera leaf.
- Now rub it over the rash and allow it to cool the skin.
- Apply the aloe vera gel many times a day to get relief from the poison ivy rash.
10.) Cucumber to Cure a Poison Ivy Fast and Naturally
Cucumber is one of the effective and the simplest home remedies for treating poison ivy. You can also use cucumber peel and bitter cucumber works great on this allergic reaction.
Steps to Use Cucumber to Treat Poison Ivy Rashes at Home:
- Cut the cucumber into slices.
- Now place the slices on the affected skin.
- You can also apply the cucumber juice on the rash for soothing relief.
Additional Tips to Prevent Poison Ivy Rashes:
- Don’t touch poison ivy.
- Wear protective clothing while touching.
- Spray deodorant on any exposed areas of the skin.
- Remove the poison ivy plant from your areas.
- Remove the clothes that came in contact with the poison ivy.