This article is about home remedies for sore throat. When you are suffering from sore throat, you will feel a burning sensation and scratchy that cause pain which makes it hard to swallow or talk. Sore throat is a very common illness among people of all ages, especially in children. Sore throat is caused by viral infection, not bacterial infections. Bacterial infections are responsible for a small percentage of sore throat. Sore throat can be painful and uncomfortable for you.
A sore throat is the result of an inflammation of the throat. Your throat is a tube that carries food to the esophagus and air to the windpipe and larynx. Sore throat occurs due to allergies, pollution, dry air and illness like the flu, the common cold, chickenpox, measles and the croup. These problems are all viral infections that will not be treated with antibiotics. Sore throat can be treated with some home remedies and natural remedies.
How Long Does a Sore Throat Last?
A sore throat is a viral infection that last for 5 to 7 days. It should be treated on time.
Symptoms of Strep Throat:
- Bright red throat
- Pain in the throat
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Swollen tonsils
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Causes of Sore Throat:
- Dry air and pollution
- Common cold
Best Home Remedies for Sore Throat Treatment and Cure:
1.) Garlic to Get Rid of Sore Throat Fast and Naturally
Garlic is a natural remedy that works great for sore throat. The allicin compound present in garlic that kill the bacteria which causes strep and fight against the germs.
Steps to Use Garlic to Treat Sore Throat:
- Take a fresh garlic clove and cut it into half.
- Suck this garlic slice and you can also crush this slice between your teeth to release the allicin.
- Alternatively, you can also use garlic oil. Prepare a solution by mixing a few drops of garlic oil with a cup of water and gargle with it.
- Do it once daily for some days to get relief from sore throat.
2.) Salt Water to Treat Sore Throat Fast
Gargling with salt water is one of the best and effective ways for treating sore throat. In sore throat, your cells in the mucus membranes get inflamed and swollen. The salt water helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Get Relief from Sore Throat:
- Take a cup of water and heat it. Add half tsp of salt to this warm water.
- Start gargling with this salty water, but don’t swallow it.
- Gargle and spit it out.
- Repeat it 3 times throughout the day.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Sore Throat Fast and Naturally
Apple cider vinegar is the best home remedy for sore throat. Apple cider vinegar contains high levels of acidity that helps to kill the bacteria efficiently. If you will mix it with honey, then it soothes the soreness in the throat.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Sore Throat:
- Heat a cup of water and add 1 tbsp of each apple cider vinegar and honey to it.
- Drink it slowly while it is warm.
- Alternatively, you can also make a solution by mixing 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and half cup of water. Now, gargle with this solution.
- Use any of these methods once a day for some days.
4.) Marshmallow to Get Relief from Sore Throat Naturally
Marshmallow is a herb that has been used for sore throat. The mucilage in marshmallow helps to coat and soothe mucous membranes, thus treating sore throat. Marshmallow is one of the best natural remedies to treat sore throat without antibiotics.
Steps to Use Marshmallow to Prevent Sore Throat Fast:
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 tbsp of marshmallow dried root to it.
- Cove this solution and steep it for half an hour.
- After straining this solution, drink it daily once a day.
5.) Cayenne to Get Rid of Sore Throat Fast and Naturally
Cayenne is also effective and beneficial home remedy to treat sore throat. Cayenne contains capsaicin compound that helps to relieve pain in the throat. Drinking warm water with cayenne helps to soothe your throat.
Steps to Use Cayenne to Treat Sore Throat Naturally:
- Boil a cup of water and add half tsp of cayenne pepper to it.
- Add a little honey to it and drink it throughout the day.
- Repeat this remedy daily to get relief from sore throat.
6.) Licorice Root to Prevent Sore Throat Naturally and Fast
Licorice root is a natural remedy to get relief from sore throat. Due to anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties of licorice root that helps to reduce irritation and swelling. It also soothes the mucus membrane in the throat.
Steps to Use Licorice Root to Cure Sore Throat:
- Mix half cup cinnamon chips, 1 cup chopped dry licorice root, 2 tbsp of cloves and half cup chamomile flowers.
- Store this mixture in a glass jar.
- To prepare the tea, take 3 tbsp of this mixture and add it to a cup of boiling water.
- Now, boil it and allow it to simmer for ten minutes.
- Strain the solution and sip it.
- Drink this tea daily to treat sore throat quickly.
7.) Ginger to Treat Sore Throat Naturally and Fast
Ginger is one of the best natural remedies for treating sore throat without antibiotics. Ginger contains properties that work best to reduce the pain in the throat. Ginger helps to loosen and expel mucus from the respiratory system. It also improves your circulation and flush out the toxins, thus speeding up the healing process.
Steps to Use Ginger to Get Rid of Sore Throat:
- Wash the ginger root properly.
- Cut the ginger into small pieces and put it in a cup of boiling water.
- Boil it for 3 to 5 minutes and drink it.
- You can also add a little honey to it for taste.
- Drink ginger tea daily until you get relief from sore throat.
8.) Chamomile Tea to Treat Sore Throat Fast and Naturally
Chamomile tea is a natural remedy that works best for sore throat. The components in chamomile help to kill the bacteria as it works as a pain-killer. It gives soothing effect to your throat.
Steps to Use Chamomile Tea to Prevent Sore Throat:
- Boil a cup of water and add the tea bag to it.
- Cover this water and allow it to steep for ten minutes.
- Add a little honey and lemon juice to it.
- Drink it daily as needed.
9.) Fenugreek to Cure Sore Throat Fast
Fenugreek contains mucus-dissolving properties that will give you instant relief from inflammation and irritation. You can make a gargle solution with fenugreek seeds as it is very beneficial for treating a sore throat.
Steps to Use Fenugreek Seeds to Treat Sore Throat:
- Add 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds to 6 cups of water.
- Now, boil it for 30 minutes.
- Use this solution to gargle 3 to 4 times a day.
10.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Sore Throat without Antibiotics
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for sore throat as it has strong anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Cure Sore Throat Naturally:
- Heat a glass of water and add one-quarter tsp of turmeric powder to it.
- Drink this turmeric solution slowly on an empty stomach.
- Drink it once daily for 3 to 4 days.
- An alternate method, add 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of black pepper powder to a glass of hot milk. Now, drink this turmeric milk before going to bed.
- You can also gargle with a turmeric solution to get relief from bad throat. Mix one-half tsp of each turmeric powder and one-half tsp of salt to a glass of hot water. Now, mix the solution very well. Gargle with this solution 2 times a day.
Additional Useful Tips to Get Rid of Sore Throat:
- You can take antibiotics such as Acetaminophen or ibuprofen to get rid of sore throat.
- Use throat sprays such as Cepacol that helps to relieve pain in the sore throat.
- Using a warm compress is the best and effective way to soothe your throat.
- Use humidifier or steam treatments for better relief from pain and irritation in the throat.
- Wash or sanitize your hands regularly.
- Drink lots of fluids, especially water.
- Avoid dairy products such as butter, milk or ice cream as they increases mucus production.
- Avoid sugary products such as cake or cupcakes as these foods can irritate the throat.
- Avoid cold drinks and cold foods.
- Eat soup as it works best for any type of sickness.