Psoriasis is a chronic skin disorder which is characterized by redness and irritation and accompanied by thick, itchy, flaky, silver-white patches that are sometimes painful. Other symptoms include inflammation, itching, and pain. The problem of psoriases mostly on the knees, palms, elbows and scalp, but can appear on other parts of the body. It is considered as an autoimmune disease. In autoimmune disease the immune system mistakenly attacks the healthy cells in the body, thereby changing the life cycle of skin cells. Normally skin cells die and mature about once a month.
But in the case of psoriasis, they tend to mature and die in less than a week and cause a buildup of dead skin cells. the condition is often triggered by factors like dry skin, emotional stress, smoking, sunburn, environmental triggers, viral or bacterial infections and certain medication like beta-blockers and ibuprofen. It also tends to run in families and become worse in those who have weak immune system. Most type of psoriasis fo through cycles of flare-ups and remissions. Although there is nor cure for psoriasis can you can use some natural home remedies for psoriasis.
Home Remedies for Psoriasis:
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Psoriasis
Apple cider is one the best home remedies for psoriasis, it helps to restore the natural pH balance of the skin and helps to prevent infection. Apple cider vinegar also helps to reduce the itching and skin irritation.
- Take one teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar and mix it with a glass of water and drink it twice a day, especially during flare-ups. This remedy is also good for overall health as it detoxifies the body.
- Or you can use another method, you need to mix one part of apple cider vinegar with three parts of lukewarm water. Then soak a washcloth in this solution and use it as a compress for about one to two minute. Do this several times a day during flare ups.
2.) Oatmeal to Cure Psoriasis
An oatmeal bath helps to hydrate the skin and reduce the itching and inflammation. It also helps to soften the skin and calms the nerves. Oatmeal is considered good for other skin problems like dry skin and eczema, too. It is one of the best home remedies for psoriasis.
- Mix one cup of powdered oatmeal in a bath tub filled with warm water. Soak in this oatmeal bath for about 10 to 15 minutes during flare ups. When you will get out of the bath rinse it with lukewarm water, then pat dry your skin and generously apply a good moisturizer.
- Or you can use another method. Wrap two handfuls of rolled oats in a muslin cloth, then place it in the bathtub and fill it with warm water. Then add some cold water in it to bring the bath water to a comfortable temperature and squeeze the oat bag. the water will get milky. Soak in this water for about 10 minutes. You can use the oat bag as a gentle cleanser while soaking in it. when you will finish bath, then pat dry and moisturize your skin. You can do this daily during flare ups. Make sure to discard the oat bag after every use.
3.) Epsom Salt to Get Rid of Psoriasis
An Epsom salt bath works great for skin discolor like psoriasis and eczema. It will help to relieve itching and burning sensation and soften the scaling that occurs with psoriasis. It is good for detoxification and relaxation and considered as one of the best home remedies for psoriasis.
- Fill a bath tub with warm water and mix two cups of Epsom salt in it.
- Soak in it for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- When you will get out of the bath then pat dry your skin and apply a moisturizer liberally.
- Use this two to three times a week to see a positive result.
4.) Ice pack to Treat Psoriasis
The ice pack is also considered as the best home remedies for psoriasis. It numbs the nerve ending and eases acute pain caused by psoriatic arthritis. For chronic pain use moist heat like warm compress and don’t use heat it your joints are swollen.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in clean towel or washcloth.
- Place it on the affected area.
- Leave it for about eight to ten minutes.
- Use this remedy in every few hours throughout the day.
5.) Garlic to Cure Psoriasis
Garlic is very useful home remedies for psoriasis due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. it inhibits the activity of a lipoxygenase enzyme that causes the inflammation associated with psoriasis. It is a microbial agent, which helps to prevent infection. Eating garlic can also prevent psoriasis outbreaks due to its active compound and blood purifying property.
- Mix equal amount of aloe vera gel and garlic oil. Apply it on the affected area. Leave it for about 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off. Use this remedy daily until you see the improvement.
- You can also eat two raw garlic cloves daily. To get the best result let the crushed garlic cloves sit for about 10 to 15 minutes before eating them. If you don’t like the taste and smell of garlic so you can take it with a mix.
- You can also take garlic supplement but first consult your doctor before taking this.
6.) Olive oil to Get Rid of Psoriasis
Olive oil works very effectively to treat psoriasis because it softens the skin and reduces the flaking and scaling. It is one of the best home remedies for psoriasis.
- You just simply need to apply lukewarm olive oil on the affected area that can help to treat psoriasis. Reapply it several times a day until you see the positive results.
- Or you can use another method, add one drop of oregano oil and two drops of calendula oil with one cup of olive oil. The apply it on the affected area. Leave it on for a few hours before washing it off. Repeat it several times a day to get proper benefits.
7.) Licorice Root to Treat Psoriasis
Licorice root is one of the best home remedies for psoriasis. This root is good for a skin condition like rosacea, eczema, and psoriasis because of its compound called glycyrrhizin. It also helps to reduce the redness and irritation. Licorice root has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce inflammation and benefit to the skin.
- Apply 2 percent licorice cream or gel on the affected area two times a day for several weeks.
- Or you can boil two teaspoons of dried licorice root with six cups of water. Then let it simmer for about 40 minutes. Cool and then strain the solution. You will need to dip a washcloth in this solution and use it as a compress a few times a day.
8.) Turmeric to Cure Psoriasis
Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin is an active compound present in turmeric fights inflammation and inhibits an enzyme called phosphorylase kinase which is responsible for skin cell growth. Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for psoriasis.
- Put one teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk and add honey if you want. Drink it daily at least for a few weeks. You can also include spice in your cooking. It will give you internal benefits.
- Or you can take one teaspoon of turmeric powder and add enough amount of water to make a thick paste. Apply it on the affected area. Then cover it with gauze and leave it on overnight. Then next morning remove the gauze and rinse your skin with lukewarm water. Again apply it after a couple of hours. Do this daily until you feel satisfied.
9.) Aloe Vera to Treat Psoriasis
Aloe Vera is one of the best home remedies for psoriasis. It works very effectively in all the skin related problems. Aloe Vera forms a protective layer on the broken skin and promotes healing. Anti-inflammatory compounds present in Aloe Vera fight inflammation and boost the immune system.
- Take Aloe Vera leaf and slice it to extract the gel out of it.
- Apply this gel on the affected area.
- Leave it until it is absorbed in the skin.
- Use this remedy three times a day for several weeks to see the positive changes.
10.) Glycerin to Get Rid of Psoriasis
Glycerin is considered great for skin. It attracts the moisture and helps to maintain beautiful and healthy skin. According to researcher glycerol present in glycerin plays an important role in skin maturation and allow the skin to mature properly. Glycerin is one of the best home remedies for psoriasis.
- You need to apply glycerin topically on the affected area.
- Then leave it for as long as possible for you.
- Use it two to three times a day for a few weeks or until you feel satisfied with the results.