If you want to know about what is strep throat, then this article will help you a lot. Strep throat is a bacterial infection that makes your throat feel scratchy and sore. It is highly contagious that is caused by infection with streptococcal bacteria in the throat and tonsils. Anyone can get strep throat if the person comes in contact with the affected person.
If it is not treated, then it may create complications such as fever or kidney inflammation. Strep throat is painful and you will feel difficulty while talking and swallowing. Strep throat is a very common problem that affects people of all ages, especially children. Strep throat requires treatment. You can treat strep throat by using home remedies, natural remedies and some antibiotics.
Symptoms and Signs of Strep Throat:
- Pain in the throat
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Sudden strep throat without sneezing, coughing or other cold symptoms.
- White or yellow spots on the throat and tonsils.
Causes of Strep Throat:
- Pollution and dry air
- Common cold
Best Treatments to Get Rid of Strep Throat:
1.) Antibiotic to Treat Strep Throat Fast
If you have strep throat, then your doctor will prescribe you a course of antibiotics that will kill the bacteria that causes strep throat. The time period of the prescription will vary as it is based on the prescribed antibiotic. Common antibiotics for strep throat are amoxicillin and penicillin.
- If you have been vomiting due to illness, then your doctor will give you an antibiotic via injection.
- If you are allergic to antibiotics, then your doctor will prescribe you other medicines such as clarithromycin, cephalexin and azithromycin.
2.) Salt Water to Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast
Gargling with salt water is one of the best ways to get relief from strep throat. Salt works as an antiseptic and helps to remove water out of mucous membranes in the throat. It helps to reduce inflammation and cuts phlegm and give you instant relief.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Cure Strep Throat:
- Add one-half tsp of salt water in a glass of water.
- Then gargle with this saline solution.
- Don’t swallow this water and spit it out after gargling.
- Gargle with this water at least 4 times a day for best results.
3.) Lemon to Treat Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
Lemon is one of the best remedies for treating strep throat. Lemon helps to remove mucus and give you relief from strep throat.
Steps to Use Lemon Juice:
- Prepare a hot lemonade by mixing a half tsp of lemon juice and 1 tsp of honey in 1 cup of warm water. Drink this lemonade slowly.
- An alternate method, gargle with lemon juice diluted with an equal amount of warm water.
- You can also lick the lemon by sprinkling salt and pepper over it.
4.) Slippery Elm to Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
Slippery Elm, is a gel like substance that helps to reduce irritation and ease soreness due to the presence of mucilage.
Steps to Use Slippery Elm:
- Add 1 tsp of the inner bark of slippery elm to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for a few minutes and then strain this solution.
- Drink this solution slowly daily.
- You can also use this solution for the treatment of any type of respiratory illness or laryngitis.
- If this herb is not available then you can buy slippery elm supplements from any medical store.
5.) Cinnamon to Get Relief from Strep Throat Fast
Cinnamon is one of the effective home remedy to treat strep throat. The strong anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties in cinnamon helps to provide relief from the symptoms of strep throat and boost the immune system.
Steps to Use Cinnamon to Treat Strep Throat:
- Take 1 tsp of each cinnamon powder and black pepper powder and add it to a glass of warm water. You can also add cardamom to it. Strain this solution and gargle with it 2 to 3 times a day.
- An alternate method, add a few drops of cinnamon oil to 1 tsp of honey. Now, eat this 2 times a day to get relief from the inflammation and pain which is associated with a sore throat.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Strep Throat Fast
The antibacterial and numerous healing properties in apple cider vinegar help to treat strep throat. It helps to fight against the infection and boost the infection.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Add 1 to 3 tsp of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of warm water. Gargle with this solution many times a day for 2 to 3 days.
- You can also add 1 tbsp each of honey and apple cider vinegar to a small glass of warm water. Drink it 2 times daily for a few days until you get relief from the symptoms of strep throat.
7.) Garlic to Get Rid of Strep Throat Naturally and Fast
Garlic is the best home remedy which is used for various infections including strep throat. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in garlic help to get relief from strep throat. Due to the presence of sulphur in garlic it fights against the infection and improves the immune system. It also contains vitamins B6, C, manganese and selenium that promotes overall health.
Steps to Use Garlic to Prevent Sore Throat:
- Take a fresh garlic clove and peel it. Now, cut it into half and suck it like a candy. Or you can crush the garlic clove between your teeth. Do it many times a day for some days for faster results.
- An alternate method, boil a cup of water and add 1 tsp of grated garlic, a pinch of cayenne pepper and one-fourth tsp of cinnamon to the water. Now, boil it for 2 minutes and then strain it. Drink this garlic solution 2 times a day for some days until you get relief.
8.) Cayenne to Treat Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
Cayenne is one of the effective natural remedies for strep throat. This spice contains anti-bacterial properties and anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce inflammation and control the growth of the bacteria that causes strep throat.
Steps to Use Cayenne to Cure Strep Throat:
- Combine together 1 tbsp of honey, one-fourth tsp of cayenne powder and 3 grated garlic cloves. Mix all these ingredients well and consume one half tsp of this mixture in every one hour many times a day. After eating this mixture, avoid drinking water immediately.
- An alternate method, add 1 tbsp of lemon juice and one-fourth tsp of cayenne pepper in a glass of warm water. Gargle with this solution many times a day. Follow this remedy for 1 to 2 days to notice the improvement.
9.) Onion to Get Rid of Strep Throat Fast
Onion is one of the beneficial home remedy for treating strep throat. It is an antibacterial agent that kills the bacteria in the throat. Being an antiseptic agent it speeds up the recovery process.
Steps to use Onion to Cure Strep Throat:
- Take one onion and cut it into thick pieces. Chew a slice of onion and eat it slowly so that the onion juice kills the bacteria in the throat. Do it throughout the day until you get relief from the strep throat.
- You can also add 3 to 4 tbsp of onion juice to a glass of warm water. Gargle with this onion solution many times a day. Repeat it for some days to get rid of strep throat quickly.
10.) Chamomile Tea to Treat Strep Throat Fast and Naturally
The analgesic properties in chamomile help to provide relief from throat pain and headache. It is an herb which is rich with soothing, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that helps to fight against the bacterial infection.
Steps to Use Chamomile to Cure Strep Throat:
- Heat a cup of water and add 2 to 3 tsp of dried chamomile leaves to it.
- Let this solution steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and add some honey and lemon juice to it.
- Drink this tea 3 or 4 times a day for 2 to 3 days.
Additional Useful Tips to Get Rid of Strep Throat:
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Drink lots of water and other drinks to prevent dehydration.
- Eat soothing foods such as mashed potatoes, soups, broths, soft fruits, cooked cereal and yogurt.
- You can use a humidifier that helps to ease discomfort.
- Take plenty of rest to give your body energy and strength that helps to fight against the infection.
- Eating ice cream or sucking on popsicles helps to soothe the throat.
- Try to suck hard candies that help to give relief from strep throat.