Selenium is one of the most important dietary mineral needed for our body. Though we need a little amount of selenium in our diet, but still it is very important mineral for the proper functioning of our body. This is one of the most important mineral needed for proper functioning of thyroid gland. So, it is really very important to eat foods high in selenium.
- Selenium mineral provides various health benefits. Some of them are as follows:
- Selenium plays a major role in lowering the risk of developing cancer.
- It even provides great cell protection.
- It is really very important agent that can prevent sunburn and inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis.
- This mineral has antioxidant properties which help in preventing cell damage.
Recommended Daily Doses of Selenium Mineral:
Well, here is the list of the recommended daily allowance of selenium mineral. Consume them depending upon your age group.
- For children under age of 3 years: 20µg
- For children up to 4-8 years: 30µg
- For children up to 9-13 years: 40µg
- For adults above 19years: 55µg
- The pregnant woman must consume 60µg of selenium mineral.
- A breastfeeding mother must consume 70µg of selenium content.
List of Foods High in Selenium:
- List of Foods High in Selenium:
- 1.) Meat (Rich Source of Selenium):
- 2.) Pork High in Selenium:
- 3.) Tuna High in Selenium:
- 4.) Octopus and Squid (Rich Sources of Selenium):
- 5.) Eggs High in Selenium Mineral:
- 6.) Salmon High in Selenium:
- 7.) Mushrooms High in Selenium:
- 8.) Oyster High in Selenium:
- 9.) Oats High in Selenium:
- 10.) Brazil Nuts High in Selenium:
Here is the list of the foods high in selenium.
1.) Meat (Rich Source of Selenium):
Meat is one of the most richest sources of selenium. But, very fewer people are aware of it. Well, here is the list of few important types of foods high in selenium.
- Chicken & Turkey: Just 100 gram of chicken and turkey includes around 37.8µg of selenium which is equivalent to 54% DV.
- Beef & Lamb: Just 100 grams of beef and lamb include around 44.8 µg of selenium in it which is equivalent to 64% DV.
So, add meat to your diet for getting a good amount of selenium mineral.
2.) Pork High in Selenium:
Though pork is not a very healthy meat, but it contains a great amount of selenium content in it. It contains a very high percentage of protein and selenium in it. Moreover, it is quite fatty and serves high calories to your diet. So add, pork to your diet as this is one of the best foods high in selenium. Just 100 grams of pork serves around 40.3mcg of selenium that is equivalent to 27 calories.
3.) Tuna High in Selenium:
Tuna contains the proper amount of selenium in it. It is also rich in protein and omega-3s. This type of seafood is also low in calories and it is worth including in your balanced diet. Just 100 grams of tuna serves around 42.6µ of selenium which is equivalent to 184 calories.
4.) Octopus and Squid (Rich Sources of Selenium):
These foods are one of the richest sources of selenium. So, eat octopus and squid that are cooked properly. They are very rich sources of selenium mineral. Hence, if you are suffering from selenium deficiency, then simply add these foods to your diet and get the proper amount of selenium mineral. Just 100 grams of octopus and squid serves around 169.8mcg of selenium which is equivalent to 311-349calories.
5.) Eggs High in Selenium Mineral:
Eggs provide various benefits to skin, hair, and health. They serve a very high amount selenium mineral to your diet when they are boiled. They contain very good doses of selenium mineral. So, add them to your diet to get various health benefits from them. Just 100 grams of eggs serves 30.8 mcg of selenium which is equivalent to 156 calories.
6.) Salmon High in Selenium:
This is one of most famous and delicious seafood in the world. It contains a very high level of following nutrients like healthy fats, omega-3s. Even according to the experts eating salmon several times in a week help in fighting from the illness like cancer and heart diseases. So, add this delicious seafood to your diet to get required selenium dosage. Just 100 grams of salmon serves around 38mcg of selenium which is equivalent to 139 calories.
7.) Mushrooms High in Selenium:
Mushrooms are the good source of selenium mineral. This food is used in different recipes. It can be combined with various vegetables. It can serve a great taste to your dishes. So, add mushroom to your diet to get the adequate amount of selenium. Just 100 grams of selenium serves around 11.5mcg which is equivalent to 48 calories.
8.) Oyster High in Selenium:
Oyster contains a good amount of selenium mineral. You may even find the vitamin B12 from the oyster. This is a very suitable meal that can serve a good amount of minerals and vitamins to your diet. So, add oyster to your diet. Just 100 grams of oysters serve around 79mcg of selenium mineral which is equivalent to 84 calories.
9.) Oats High in Selenium:
Oats is recommended as a way to help heart health. They play a very important role in lowering cholesterol level. You may start your morning breakfast with this healthy meal. It is a rich source of selenium. Just 100 grams of oats serve 34mcg which is equivalent to 384calories.
10.) Brazil Nuts High in Selenium:
These nuts have the highest content of selenium. So, if you want to get the good amount of selenium in your body then add them to your diet. Just 100 grams of brazil nuts serve around 1,917mcg which is equivalent to 656calories.
Selenium Deficiency Symptoms:
Here are few symptoms of selenium deficiency. You will face the following signs if your body lacks in selenium nutrient.
- Hair Loss
- Fingernail discoloration
- Skin discoloration
- Low Immunity
- Difficulty while concentrating
- Few reproductive problems
So, if you are facing the following problems, then take this condition sincerely. Just add these amazing foods high in selenium to your diet. Also, instead of taking supplements just focus on natural sources of selenium. The natural form of selenium is considered to be a great remedy to treat various problems. These foods provide various health benefits. So, add them to your diet and get the good amount of selenium from them.