High cholesterol is often caused by unhealthy lifestyle choices such as a diet high in saturated fat and lack of adequate physical activity. Factors such as smoking, obesity, excessive drinking, genetics, aging and certain underlying conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, liver or kidney disease also increase the risk of developing this problem. cholesterol is a fatty substance present in your body which is needed for building cell membranes, converting the sunshine to vitamin D, and other important functions. However, a high level of cholesterol also called hypercholesterolemia which is unhealthy and can lead to serious and even fatal health problems. Cholesterol accumulates along artery walls and increases the risk of developing heart disease.
Usually blood cholesterol level should remain between 200 mg/dl. It is considered borderline when it is between 200 to 239 mg/dl and when it increase to 240 mg/dl it is considered as high cholesterol. A test called lipoprotein profile is used to test the cholesterol in terms of total cholesterol, LDL, HDL, and triglycerides. HDL is considered good because it carries cholesterol to the liver, where it can be broken down and reprocessed. On the other hand, LDL is considered bad. Here are home remedies for high CHolestrol.
Home Remedies for High Cholesterol
- Home Remedies for High Cholesterol
- 1.) Nuts to Lower High Cholesterol
- 2.) Coriander Seeds to Reduce High Cholesterol
- 3.) Indian Gooseberry to Fight Cholesterol
- 4.) Red onion to Control Cholesterol
- 5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Lower High Cholesterol
- 6.) Lower Cholesterol level with Orange Juice
- 7.) Coconut Oil to Reduce High Cholesterol
- 8.) Oatmeal to Lower Cholesterol Naturally and Fast
- 9.) Fish Oil to Reduce Cholesterol Level Quickly
- 10.) Red Yeast Rice to Lower High Cholesterol
- 11.) Honey to Reduce High Cholesterol
- 12.) Turmeric to Reduce Cholesterol Level Quickly
1.) Nuts to Lower High Cholesterol
Peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, pistachios and other nuts and seeds are useful in controlling high cholesterol because they are rich in plant sterols and fiber. Particularly walnuts have been found to help to lower the total cholesterol and triglyceride levels. They are one of the best home remedies for high cholesterol.
- So now you have found a good reason to enjoy a handful of delicious roasted nuts regularly, but keep in mind to do not take it in much quantity. You also need to increase your consumption of whole grains and other food high in fiber.
2.) Coriander Seeds to Reduce High Cholesterol
Research have shown that coriander is good for your body it helps to lower the level of total cholesterol, LDL which is considered as bad cholesterol and triglycerides. Coriander seeds also have hypoglycemic effects and can be useful in the management of diabetes. Coriander seeds is one of the best home remedies for high cholesterol.
- You need to add two teaspoons of coriander seed powder in a cup of water.
- Boil the mixture and then strain the solution.
- Drink this solution two times a day. if you want so you can also add sugar milk and cardamom to it and use it as a replacement for your regular tea.
- If you don’t have coriander seeds powder, so you simply use coriander seeds or dry roast and grind them to make the powder out of it.
3.) Indian Gooseberry to Fight Cholesterol
Indian gooseberry is also known as amla and acts as a natural hypolipidemic agent, that means it promotes the reduction of lipid concentration in the serum. According to the study published in the International Journal of Medical Research and Health Science has revealed that gooseberry has antihyperlipidemic, hypolipidemic and atherogenic effects.
- Warm a glass of water and add one teaspoon of Indian gooseberry powder, or dried and powdered Indian gooseberries.
- Drink this solution daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
4.) Red onion to Control Cholesterol
Red onion is one if the best home remedies for high cholesterol. Scientist in hong kong found that they help to reduce the bad cholesterol level ad elevate good cholesterol level. Thus, in turn, it lowers the risk of developing heart disease.
- Mix one teaspoon of each honey and onion juice and drink this solution once a day.
- Or you can add one finely chopped onion and one-quarter teaspoon of pepper to one cup of buttermilk. Take it on a regular basis to see the positive result.
- You can also add ginger, onion, and garlic in your diet.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Lower High Cholesterol
Apple cider vinegar is one of the effective home remedies for high cholesterol. It helps to lower the total cholesterol and triglyceride levels. It is a great home remedy for a number of ailments including acid reflux, gout, upper respiratory infections, high blood pressure and others.
- Mix one teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
- Drink this solution two to three times a day for at least a month.
- Then you can gradually increase the amount of apple cider vinegar up to two tablespoons per glass. If you don’t like the taste of apple cider vinegar, so you can mix it with fresh orange juice, grape juice, apple juice or other fruit juices.
6.) Lower Cholesterol level with Orange Juice
Drinking three cups of orange juice daily can be a great way to help in lowering the blood cholesterol level naturally. It is a rich in vitamin C, flavonoids and folate which make it one of the best home remedies for high cholesterol.
- According to the study published in the Americal Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that drinking about 750 ml of pure orange juice daily can increase the triglycerides and HDL cholesterol, and decrease the level of LDL/ HDL ratio in hypercholesterolemic patients.
- Orange juice fortified with sterols is the even better solution. Studies have found that about 3 grams of phytoesterols a day can help to lower the total cholesterol by up to 11% and LDL by up to 15%. So you need to drink two glasses of plant sterol-fortified orange juice per day.
7.) Coconut Oil to Reduce High Cholesterol
Coconut is considered as one of the beneficial home remedies for high cholesterol, even though it is a saturated fat. It contains lauric acid which helps to increase the HDL and improve the LDL/HDL ratio.
- You only need to add a moderate amount of coconut oil to your diet. You can have one to two tablespoons of this oil daily. Keep in mind, don’t use refined or processed coconut oil.
8.) Oatmeal to Lower Cholesterol Naturally and Fast
Consuming a bowl of oatmeal is an easy and effective way to lower the cholesterol level. It is full of soluble fiber and reduces the absorption or cholesterol and helps to lower the bad cholesterol levels.
- Take one and half cups of cooked oatmeal or one cup of oat bran contain about three grams of soluble fiber, beta-glucan. You can also add nuts and fruits such as bananas, apple, strawberries, and walnuts to your oatmeal for added health benefits.
9.) Fish Oil to Reduce Cholesterol Level Quickly
Fish oils and fatty fish such as tuna, mackerel, trout, salmon, herring, bluefish, sardines are full of omega 3 fatty acids. They help to lower the triglycerides and prevent heat ailments. It is considered as one of the best home remedies for high cholesterol.
You need to consume about one to four grams of fish oil per day. if you take a vegetarian diet so you can include the ground flaxseeds in your diet as they are also rich in omega 3 fatty acids in your diet.
10.) Red Yeast Rice to Lower High Cholesterol
It contains compounds known as monacolins which inhibit the synthesis of cholesterol and help to lower the cholesterol. Simply put a rice fermented by red yeast. It has use used by china for medical purposed for thousands of years. You can get rice tablets from pharmacies or health food stores.
- For high cholesterol, you need to take 1200 to 2400 mg of the supplement once or twice a day. Studies have shown that this dietary supplement can decrease the total and LDL cholesterol levels. But be cautious while taking these supplements as their proper dosage and long term effects still unclear.
- On the other hand, some red yeast rice product may contain lovastatin and other chemicals that can cause side effects. It is best to first consult your doctor before taking them. Keep in mind that, don’t take this supplement during pregnancy, breastfeeding or when you are suffering from liver problems.
11.) Honey to Reduce High Cholesterol
Honey is one of the best home remedies for high cholesterol as it is loaded with a number of vitamins and mineral which make it and ultimate cholesterol fighter. It also has antioxidant properties which don’t let the cholesterol move out of the blood and also prevents its entry into the lining of the blood vessels.
- Boil a cup of water and add one teaspoon of honey in it. You can also add one teaspoon of lemon juice with 10 drops of apple cider vinegar to this solution. Drink this solution in the morning. This will help to reduce the excess fat from your system and maintain the cholesterol level.
- Or you can take a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and mix it with a cup of boiling water. Cover it for about 30 minutes. Then strain the solution and add one teaspoon of honey to this concoction. Drink this on an empty stomach half an hour before your breakfast.
12.) Turmeric to Reduce Cholesterol Level Quickly
Turmeric has excellent wound healing properties. it also helps to lower the level of LDL cholesterol and it can cut down the build up of plaque on the walls of the arteries. This helps to lower the blood cholesterol. This is considered as one of the best home remedies for high cholesterol.
You can add a dash of turmeric powder to the curries and vegetable while cooking. It is one of the best ways to get a daily dose of this powerful herb.