In this article we will discuss different benefits and how to use coconut oil for skin. Coconut oil has been in use for beauty and as a dietary for ages. It is widely used in tropical regions. It is mainly found in the Pacific Islands and Southeast Asia. Its popularity and use is increasing across the world and for good reason. Coconut oil is an amazing source of nutrition. It comes with many health benefits, both internally and externally.
Earlier this oil was believed to be unhealthy. This is because the oil contains more than 90% of saturated fat. But as more research are being carried about the positive effects of the coconut oil on health, opinions are shifting. For instance, coconut oil is a well-known source of antimicrobial, antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial,and antifungal properties. It is also very helpful in the absorption of many minerals. Coconut oil is one of the best ingredients for plenty of home remedies. Whether it internal or external, coconut oil is equally effective. However, coconut oil is widely used for many skin ailments. From a moisturizing lotion to poison ivy, coconut oil is definitely worth a space in your skin care box. Below are some of the benefits and ways to use coconut oil for skin.
Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Skin:
- Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Skin:
- 1.) Use Coconut Oil for Skin Detoxification
- 2.) Use Coconut Oil to Treat Insect Bites
- 3.) Use Coconut Oil to Treat Dry and Itchy Skin
- 4.) Dry Hands Treatment Using Coconut Oil
- 5.) Coconut Oil for Skin as a Makeup Remover
- 6.) Coconut Oil for Skin as Night Cream
- 7.) Benefits of Coconut Oil for Shaving
- 8.) Coconut Oil to Remove Stretch Marks
- 9.) Coconut Oil to Heal Sunburn
- 10.) Coconut Oil for Acne Treatment
1.) Use Coconut Oil for Skin Detoxification
A soothing detox bath is an excellent way to get rid of toxins while relaxing your body and mind from inside out. Prepare a simple detox bath with the help of coconut oil by below listed method.
- Add ¼ cup Epsom salts and ¼ cup coconut oil into a hot bath.
- You can include several drops of your favorite essential oils for added aroma therapy benefits.
- Soak yourself in it for several minutes for a soothing and detoxification effect on your skin, body and mind
2.) Use Coconut Oil to Treat Insect Bites
Most of the people spend their time outdoors. This increases their risk of suffering insect bites. To get a quick relief from any bug or insect bite, you can use coconut oil. The anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of coconut oil provide quick relief from itchiness and pain. It also helps lower the risk of infection due to its antibacterial properties.
- Just apply a thin layer of coconut oil on the affected part of your skin to get rid of insect bites.
3.) Use Coconut Oil to Treat Dry and Itchy Skin
Exposure to the sun can make your skin look and feel drier than usual. It can cause intense itchiness as well. Dehydration and living in air-conditioned areas during the summer can also contribute to itching and dryness. To fix this issue, you need to cover your skin’s moisture with the help of coconut oil. The moisturizing properties of coconut oil will help soothe and condition your dry skin and prevent itchiness.
- Before going for a shower, apply some lukewarm coconut oil all over your body.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and then take a shower.
- Finally, apply a mild moisturizer.
- Repeat this daily to keep your skin free from itchiness and dryness.
- Avoid excessive use of soaps, perfumes, antiperspirants or hot baths.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated from inside.
4.) Dry Hands Treatment Using Coconut Oil
One of the other benefits of coconut oil is to treat dry hands. Application of coconut oil on the hands can help prevent dryness. It helps in soothing and softening the skin of your hands. Here is the method to use it.
- Rub some coconut oil all over your hands and then cover them with gloves to make your skin soft and supple naturally and quickly.
5.) Coconut Oil for Skin as a Makeup Remover
You can use coconut oil for skin around the eye area to help you remove makeup without fear or irritating your eyes. Also, the use of coconut oil will give extra hydration to this sensitive area. It will also help in reducing your wrinkles.
- For this, just rub coconut oil onto the lids and dab off eye makeup with the help of a cotton pad or warm washcloth.
6.) Coconut Oil for Skin as Night Cream
By applying coconut oil gently on your face, you can keep your skin hydrating and repairing itself while you are sleeping. If your skin is prone to acne or you have very oily skin, you can add a few drops to your normal moisturizer. If you want to use coconut oil as a daytime moisturizer too, you can mix it with your sunblock to get the benefits all through the day without risking any sun damage.
7.) Benefits of Coconut Oil for Shaving
You can get a close and smooth shave by using coconut oil instead of using a shaving creams or gels. Coconut oil for skin helps prevent razor burn and ingrown hairs. It also helps in providing moisture to your skin. You don’t need any extra products in your medicine cabinet.
- Whenever you shave, simply rub some coconut oil onto skin. Then, shave and pat dry.
8.) Coconut Oil to Remove Stretch Marks
Coconut oil can be very effective in reducing the appearance of stretch marks. This is because coconut oil has moisturizing and antioxidant components in it. The healthy saturated fats present in coconut oil helps strengthen the cell walls of your skin and its antioxidant properties help eliminate free radicals. It is also useful for nourishing damaged skin. This oil can easily penetrate when massaged into the affected area. Apart from stretch marks, coconut oil also useful for treating different skin problems including dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema and other skin infections.
- For preventing or reducing stretch marks, you can use coconut oil both internally and externally.
9.) Coconut Oil to Heal Sunburn
Spending time at the beach, wearing swimsuits and taking sun bath can lead to severe sunburn. Plus, the UV rays can age your skin faster and can increase the risk of developing melanoma, which is a type of skin cancer. You can always use coconut oil to deal with sunburn. The fatty acid content helps lower inflammation and revitalize your skin. In addition, the moisturizing properties of this oil help prevent skin peeling, which is a common symptom of sunburn.
- Simply apply some extra-virgin coconut oil on the sunburned skin area.
- Leave it on for several hours.
- You can also mix some Aloe Vera gel or several drops of an essential oil like lavender oil to it.
- Then apply it on the affected parts.
- Use it several times daily for a few days to boost the healing process.
- Note: Apply sunscreen which has a SPF of 30 and is water-resistant.
10.) Coconut Oil for Acne Treatment
Coconut oil is also very effective in treating acne related problems. Coconut oil helps in cleansing your skin. It also has antifungal, antibacterial, and antioxidant benefits for your skin. Hence, it helps eliminate acne-causing bacteria and other impurities from your skin.
- Take some little extra-virgin coconut oil and apply on the affected skin before going to sleep.
- Next morning, rinse it off with water.
- Also, wash your face 2 times daily with a gentle cleanser (oil free). Plus, do not try to use your hands to wipe sweat off your face.